OP
Fin

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very cool @Fin. It looks like a lot of work but will be worth it when done.

Maybe we can place bets to see if you or I get wet first.
Thanks. My money is on you. :)

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching this tread is like a long slooowww root canal! The pain I can't take the pain. LOL four years in the making so far. John Burleson would be kicking you in the rear to get that done! I miss him and Patty. Wonder how they are? Maybe their old employee Julian Sprung knows. Keep moving or they are going to put a slip cover on you!

By the way I like the whole design you got going on there.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching this tread is like a long slooowww root canal! The pain I can't take the pain. LOL four years in the making so far. John Burleson would be kicking you in the rear to get that done! I miss him and Patty. Wonder how they are? Maybe their old employee Julian Sprung knows. Keep moving or they are going to put a slip cover on you!

By the way I like the whole design you got going on there.
Thanks! And I am cheating, because the stand was built around 2003 for a 45 gallon tank and the chest was built around 2006. Good thing I had a head start. :)

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MoreHoles10.jpg
This Tank looks cool, can't wait to see it up and running.
Can you please tell me the reason to implement a closed loop. I know they are great but we rarely see them nowadays in new setup.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A baby eel. Motivation for the big tank to get done.
Ha! You were way ahead of me on that one. That is what happened to the tank the first time. All of the stock from it ended up in my 140 and the little tank was taken down. Hopefully that won't happen again. I do like this little tank.

Ha ha ha! I am glad the empty 125 has an empty friend.
Funny. Yes, a whole lot of emptiness here, my friend. :D

This Tank looks cool, can't wait to see it up and running.
Can you please tell me the reason to implement a closed loop. I know they are great but we rarely see them nowadays in new setup.
Thank you! It has been a lot of fun putting this little tank back together. Thanks for having a look.

The reason for the closed loop is to keep as much equipment out of view as is possible. The tank is so small, even a single MP-10 would be very visible and I also don't care for wires sticking out of any of my tanks. The original tank used a SCWD and it worked out well - except the device itself was very unreliable. Plus, I ran a closed loop in my 140 for 12 years, so it is still current technology in my house. And - I am old and set in my ways. :D I am breaking away from a closed loop in my 125 though.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pics of the sump, after a few small changes. The 20L was originally under the first Pirate's Reef. It was a reservoir for RO/DI for my ATO and fresh salt water for quick water changes. It had a divider down the middle, with 10 gallons of each. That was when I was using the small sump on the first shelf. I just wanted more room this time around.

Sump-12-15-18-4.jpg

I think I finally settled on a drain set up. I installed the bulkhead upside down so that the sock will be easier to remove. The short length of pipe that runs down into the sock can be pulled out and there is plenty of room to remove the sock. With the bulkhead installed the other way, it was difficult to get the sock out. The sock holder is a Next Reef product and they have been out of business for a couple years now. Shows you how old this build really is. :)
Sump-12-15-18-5.jpg

The little Reef Octopus nano skimmer. These things really work well and leaves me more room, since I removed the old Euro-Reef.
Sump-12-15-18-6.jpg

I have two DIY glass trays in the refugium area. I had some leftover 25mm Siporax from my 125 build, so I stacked a couple of rows in the bottom of the left side tray.
Sump-12-15-18-1.jpg

I covered that tray with a double layer of black needlepoint canvas to block the overhead light. There will probably also be some chaeto in the refugium. The pump in the foreground will be used for water changes. Not auto water changes, but more on that later.
Sump-12-15-18-2.jpg

The right tray is planned for some Miracle Mud. I will cover it with canvas also. There will be a lot of current in the refugium, so hoping to minimize it blowing all over the place. Will likely cover it with some larger, heavier substrate. I have about 100 pounds of crushed coral from 30 years ago. Might be a decent application for a little of it here.
Sump-12-15-18-3.jpg

The return area. This is the first time I have used Eheim pumps. Hope they will work well and provide years of service.
fingerscrossed.gif
Also a DIY float switch holder made from an assortment of parts that were not discarded from older projects. So, saving where I can.
Sump-12-15-18-7.jpg

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Gary, wanted to ask you about that little Tunze pump in the fuge area. Does it get clogged with cheato? I have tried more traditional power heads in a huge area and they just sucked up cheato.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Gary, wanted to ask you about that little Tunze pump in the fuge area. Does it get clogged with cheato? I have tried more traditional power heads in a huge area and they just sucked up cheato.
Good question. I will let you know when I get water in the darn thing. Those have been dry for 4 years. I really don’t know at this point. Maybe need to consider some gutter guard screens for them. I am actually worried that they will be too strong, so may be replacing them anyway. I hope not though.

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. I will let you know when I get water in the darn thing. Those have been dry for 4 years. I really don’t know at this point. Maybe need to consider some gutter guard screens for them. I am actually worried that they will be too strong, so may be replacing them anyway. I hope not though.
Im assuming you have the AC version?

Im not even surprised they haven’t seen water and are 4 years old. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im assuming you have the AC version?

Im not even surprised they haven’t seen water and are 4 years old. :rolleyes:
Yes, AC version. They have DC versions? Adjustable speed?

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Eheim pumps older than your build still running so I think you are safe there!
I really wish there were better options on these pumps for hard plumbing. On the other hand, I suppose having short lengths of hose at the pump is good for lessening vibration and noise. I hope it has enough flow. It has to push water almost 5' up.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't going to update this thread anymore, until I finally got water in the tank. That happened yesterday. Only 4½ years after I dug this thing out of storage for a second run.

Leak check was ok. Had to re-do a couple screw in fittings with drips, but all is good.

PR-6-29-19-1a.jpg

PR-6-29-19-1b.jpg

PR-6-29-19-1c.jpg

PR-6-29-19-1d.jpg

PR-6-29-19-4.jpg

PR-6-29-19-5.jpg

PR-6-29-19-6.jpg

PRStartUp-7-6-19-1.jpg

PRStartUp-7-6-19-2.jpg

PRStartUp-7-6-19-3.jpg

PRStartUp-7-6-19-4.jpg

PRStartUp-7-6-19-5.jpg

PRStartUp-7-6-19-3.jpg

PRStartUp-7-6-19-4.jpg

PRStartUp-7-6-19-6.jpg

PRStartUp-7-6-19-7.jpg

PRStartUp-7-6-19-8.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back