Pistol shrimp& goby behavior

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not even sure if this is the right place for this. But anyway I finally managed to get a goby / pistol shrimp pair. I noticed them a day or so after I got the shrimp, and luckily they made their little den front and center where I can easily see it. But the other day I noticed that the den was completely gone and buried. Just a moment ago I was introducing some new snails, and suddenly they’re back.

I guess my question is, do pistol shrimp and goby pairs bury the entrance to their homes every so often?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not even sure if this is the right place for this. But anyway I finally managed to get a goby / pistol shrimp pair. I noticed them a day or so after I got the shrimp, and luckily they made their little den front and center where I can easily see it. But the other day I noticed that the den was completely gone and buried. Just a moment ago I was introducing some new snails, and suddenly they’re back.

I guess my question is, do pistol shrimp and goby pairs bury the entrance to their homes every so often?
This is a pretty common occurrence. Oftentimes my pistol shrimp will cover himself if he feels threatened, or will move the sand around just because he feels like it.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah they probably had another opening behind a rock that you couldn't see. Mine have their half of the tank where they hang out. They have a little network of tunnels and holes that they'll bounce around to. They spend a week or so on one side of the rock get bored and move to a different side for a while. Holes will get buried and reopened multiple times.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found goby/pistol shrimp pairs will bury the entrance if they have a second more hidden one and they feel threatened. The other thing is that shrimp gobies (Especially stonogobiops) if they’re left in the open and feel threatened, they will hide in the sand, burying themselves half way. This is totally normal behaviour :)

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say dont worry about it, you'll be surprised how big their cave system is, my shrimp/goby own the bottom left half of the tank, with 4 openings that I know of. They seem to pick a different opening every day to hang out at.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back