Pistol Shrimp Minimum Tank Parameters?

davidflagg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that bigger equals more stable in reef tanks, but as I'm still very new to the hobby, a small start's a good start.

I'm wondering what would be the minimum tank size for a pistol shrimp and goby pair? Provided there's plenty of hardscape and substrate to dig around in. Research has given everything from 30 gallons no less, to 10 gallons, to even 2. Actually, a nano tank would be a great fit in my cramped living space. If the tank has little to no stock in it (besides a simple CUC), I don't see the shrimp or goby becoming stressed in a smaller area. Do paired gobies typically wonder around their tank at all, or do they stay near the burrow at all times?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A shrimp/goby pair doesn't wander much, usually stay close to their cave. I feel that a 10 gallon is adequate, perhaps even a 5 gallon, but I certainly wouldn't do a 2 gallon.

As for water parameters, inverts need good clean water conditions, which should be simple to maintain with weekly water changes on such a small tank.

OP
OP
D

davidflagg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A shrimp/goby pair doesn't wander much, usually stay close to their cave. I feel that a 10 gallon is adequate, perhaps even a 5 gallon, but I certainly wouldn't do a 2 gallon.

As for water parameters, inverts need good clean water conditions, which should be simple to maintain with weekly water changes on such a small tank.
Aren't there certain types of gobies that do wander around a lot? I've heard that some species have a tendency to bulldoze.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Species will have a lot to do with this - I couldn’t imagine a tiger + yellow watchman in a 10 with how big and messy they are, but a stonogobiops species + Randall’s pistol would do great in a nano.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Agree with this. I currently have a Yellow watchman goby and Randall pistol shrimp in a 10gallon tank right now. It is a 10g aquaeon from Petco that was my quarantine tank, but my yellow watchman was getting bullied by the starry blenny in the 32 gallon, so it moved to the 10g as a permanent home.

Even with a 10g, it does have evaporation and I have an ATO, but due to the low volume of water it does cause the salinity to climb before it fills up again.

OP
OP
D

davidflagg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great. And ray fin gobies happen to be my favorite kind. A 5 gallon tank sounds like a nice minimum size to go after.

OP
OP
D

davidflagg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with this. I currently have a Yellow watchman goby and Randall pistol shrimp in a 10gallon tank right now. It is a 10g aquaeon from Petco that was my quarantine tank, but my yellow watchman was getting bullied by the starry blenny in the 32 gallon, so it moved to the 10g as a permanent home.

Even with a 10g, it does have evaporation and I have an ATO, but due to the low volume of water it does cause the salinity to climb before it fills up again.
No noticeable health problems in the shrimp from the salinity spikes?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back