Planned power outage at the house

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Edison is cutting power for 10 hours next week. I am making some arrangements for my tank and have a battery back up supply. The heaters will be off though, should I bump the temp up a couple degrees the night before the power shut off to compensate for the temp decline?

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that renting a generator is probably the best idea... if not then try to get a power inverter to run off your car battery.

crny1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons is the tank? Got gas stove? If so boil some water to get it hot and put it in a bottle and then float the bottle to help with keeping temp up. That is if its a smaller system. Wrap the tank in a blanket to help hold in the heat. 10 hours isnt all that long if the house temp stays fairly warm.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you at in the US and what is the weather forecast for that day? Hopefully not anywhere cold because you could have freezing pipe issues also.

That aside you could look into wrapping your tank with an emergency blanket or any other kind of blanket. Might also get a bunc of those instant heat packs or large hand warmer packs. They last for hours and would help slow down any heat loss.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its only a 10 hour outage and my battery back up for the tank will keep the wave pumps going. I have a battery air stone too. I was just wondering about the temp but the floating bottle sound interesting. my back up battery is good for 30 hours.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you at in the US and what is the weather forecast for that day? Hopefully not anywhere cold because you could have freezing pipe issues also.

That aside you could look into wrapping your tank with an emergency blanket or any other kind of blanket. Might also get a bunc of those instant heat packs or large hand warmer packs. They last for hours and would help slow down any heat loss.
that wont be an issue im in So Ca its usually 85 at Christmas here but this year it will be seasonably cool which is nice.

crny1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hot water in bottle to heat or keep some frozen to cool in emergencies.........

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I’m in Wisconsin and is seasonably warm tomorrow in the 40s. What is cool for you and what do you normally keep your house at. Might be no problem at all and just a couple blankets around the tank as insurance.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Igen2200 Westinghouse generator from Amazon, lands on your doorstep by Tuesday

solid solid little unit I love it. Runs my microwave for glamping and or the pico reef + fridge during evil February snowstorm of 2020 or 19 I forget which year it was but it was recent, and evil

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I’m in Wisconsin and is seasonably warm tomorrow in the 40s. What is cool for you and what do you normally keep your house at. Might be no problem at all and just a couple blankets around the tank as insurance.
weather in low 60s, house will be at 70

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back