Planning to switch from CF to LED

FurrierTransform

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 18, 2022
Messages
174
Reaction score
221
Location
Lomita (Los Angeles South Bay)
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks, I'm using compact fluorescent bulbs (55W, about 22" long, 4 straight pin) now, but I understand they're not making the bulbs any longer (I can't find any actinic bulbs anymore, for example). So I'm thinking of switching to LED; Hamilton Technology has a sale on a 2' long LED bar this weekend. If I switch to LED (I've seen this light, it's really bright!), what can I expect, besides better lighting for invertebrates? More algae? Will it change water chemistry in any way? By the way, the tank is one of these pentagonal corner tanks, about 50 gallons, with a 30 gallon sump. It's about as tall as it is wide. Thanks All!
 
I don't know the led bar you are referring to, but the differences that you may find are going to depend on the led bar. You won't get more algae (unless the light is significantly brighter), different water chemistry, etc.
 
If I read this correctly. You currently have CFL light fixture and you can no longer get bulbs for it. So you found a bulb replacement that has led's in it. Is this correct?

Is it same spectrum you are looking for? If this is case. My only concern would be spread of the new bulb. It may be a bit narrower than the broad spread of the CFL.

If it's a brand new fixture all together. I would think t5 would be the better choice
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new