Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This will work, but I would also buy an air pump and a sponge filter. That will work for aeration as well as a site for beneficial bacteria to live.

The tank will also need a cover to keep fish from jumping out.

Jay

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will work, but I would also buy an air pump and a sponge filter. That will work for aeration as well as a site for beneficial bacteria to live.

Jay
Comes with hood. That's why I'm so intrigued

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Would I still need a sponge filter with a HOB filter? I do plan to get a peice of liverock.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The HOB filter will come with one of those blue filters, I think. I also put padding in mine. You might consider Seachem matrix instead of the rock. When I am not using it in QT, I keep it in my FW tank. Besides the air pump, don't forget the airstone and tubing and some starter bacteria.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I still need a sponge filter with a HOB filter? I do plan to get a peice of liverock.
LR, even if well established, is pretty passive in terms of biofiltration. If it is really porous, well established and large enough, it WOULD work as a substitute though. Don't forget - LR is almost always calcium based, and that may draw some of the copper out of the water, requiring close testing and redosing.

The trouble with a HOB is that when you clean it, you lose what little biofiltration it had in it.

Jay

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LR, even if well established, is pretty passive in terms of biofiltration. If it is really porous, well established and large enough, it WOULD work as a substitute though. Don't forget - LR is almost always calcium based, and that may draw some of the copper out of the water, requiring close testing and redosing.

The trouble with a HOB is that when you clean it, you lose what little biofiltration it had in it.

Jay
Ok so, here's what I plan to do. I don't want to pretreat for stuff. And I can't afford to do daily large water changes.

My LFS runs all the tanks in medication and uv sterilizers during the entire time they are up for sale.

I just want to put them in the qt mostly for observation. Then treat accordingly if needed. So I'd like to have a cycled tank. What exactly do you recommend? I know once I treat most things my bacteria is dead so do you just recommend a hob with a sponge filter and airstone?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so, here's what I plan to do. I don't want to pretreat for stuff. And I can't afford to do daily large water changes.

My LFS runs all the tanks in medication and uv sterilizers during the entire time they are up for sale.

I just want to put them in the qt mostly for observation. Then treat accordingly if needed. So I'd like to have a cycled tank. What exactly do you recommend? I know once I treat most things my bacteria is dead so do you just recommend a hob with a sponge filter and airstone?

I always treat prophylactically for protozoans and flukes, I never rely 100% on a dealer to do that for me. Observational quarantine is pretty much useless in stopping disease transmission into your main tank.

Copper and prazi are the most common QT drugs and they will not kill your beneficial bacteria.

Here is a write-up of our quarantine protocol:

Jay

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 86 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back