OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like to keep my manifold pump off of a return line entirely. If you are dead set on running it as a return as well. As @40g Nano suggests I would place a ball valve at the end on the return line itself to create back pressure to help feed the reactors.
How would I run it not on the return? Just rerun it back into the sump ? So return pump to manifold back into sump? Could I connect it to one of my 2 emergency drains to drain back into sump? I just feel like it would be recirculating the water in the sump over and over through reactors.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would I run it not on the return? Just rerun it back into the sump ? So return pump to manifold back into sump? Could I connect it to one of my 2 emergency drains to drain back into sump? I just feel like it would be recirculating the water in the sump over and over through reactors.
So usually doing it the way I prefer, the pump for the reactors goes close to the drain lines that run into the sump. And the reactors, depending on how they are plumbed, empty into the return section or as close to it as possible. This way the flow out if the reactors should be picked up and pumped back to the tank

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So usually doing it the way I prefer, the pump for the reactors goes close to the drain lines that run into the sump. And the reactors, depending on how they are plumbed, empty into the return section or as close to it as possible. This way the flow out if the reactors should be picked up and pumped back to the tank
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you. May I ask why you don’t like running the manifold off return? I was planning to use 2 return pumps for redundancy in tank. One going to each return nozzle of the tank.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you. May I ask why you don’t like running the manifold off return? I was planning to use 2 return pumps for redundancy in tank. One going to each return nozzle of the tank.

Well, It may or may not be an issue, but as your reactors clog up, flow is reduced through them which will increase pressure and eventually flow rates on the return line. This will increase the amount of water going to the tank. Your main drain line is set to a certain flow. As this flow increases, you will have more flow going down your secondary drain which can lead to more noise. So to stop that you either swap out your media, or adjust your main drain valve. If you add a reactor or take one off line, the same issue develops.

For myself, even if the flow rates change slightly over a long period of time, it's just something I never want to deal with, Ever.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, It may or may not be an issue, but as your reactors clog up, flow is reduced through them which will increase pressure and eventually flow rates on the return line. This will increase the amount of water going to the tank. Your main drain line is set to a certain flow. As this flow increases, you will have more flow going down your secondary drain which can lead to more noise. So to stop that you either swap out your media, or adjust your main drain valve. If you add a reactor or take one off line, the same issue develops.

For myself, even if the flow rates change slightly over a long period of time, it's just something I never want to deal with, Ever.
Thank you very much for your time explain all this :)

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for your time explain all this :)
No problem, BTW, there is no wrong way to do it, you can plumb it however you like. Just as long as you know what issues might occour with each method and you have a plan to handle them as they come up. Maybe you plan on just running a tiny bit of carbon and the odd time something else. In this case you might want to plumb it the way you planned origionally as any clogging issues will be minimal. Then you can keep your backup return as planned. Just lots of things to consider as you think about your plumbinf plans

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No problem, BTW, there is no wrong way to do it, you can plumb it however you like. Just as long as you know what issues might occour with each method and you have a plan to handle them as they come up. Maybe you plan on just running a tiny bit of carbon and the odd time something else. In this case you might want to plumb it the way you planned origionally as any clogging issues will be minimal. Then you can keep your backup return as planned. Just lots of things to consider as you think about your plumbinf plans
Yea I’m starting to realize this. There is a lot to factor in when planning the plumbing. I also will most likely add a calcium reactor down the road so I’m sure that even changes things too. I wonder if I can get by with the clogging and fluctuating water levels by having a tight maintenance schedule on everything Plummer into the manifold. Also I’m realizing if it’s on my return line when it shuts off for feeding it will disrupt everything on the manifold. Maybe I just shut off everything on manifold programmed into apex when feed mode is activated ? Hmm lots to think about.

Lojenn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of plumbing my new tank as well. Here's my plan for return/supply side. Sump to tank. 1 1/4 to tee, side one, reduced to 1" to tank w/true union. Manifold other side reduced to 3/4" w/ 3 true union ball valves. plans to use soft plumbing to peripherals. Cap 3/4" manifold at end of run. Slightly oversized pump. As a former plumber, I use test caps to mock up system at 6 ft head height, which held continuous pressure 24 hours. Tho tight quarters,along with unions every where,all is easily accessed and very clean. Good luck with your project.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm in the process of plumbing my new tank as well. Here's my plan for return/supply side. Sump to tank. 1 1/4 to tee, side one, reduced to 1" to tank w/true union. Manifold other side reduced to 3/4" w/ 3 true union ball valves. plans to use soft plumbing to peripherals. Cap 3/4" manifold at end of run. Slightly oversized pump. As a former plumber, I use test caps to mock up system at 6 ft head height, which held continuous pressure 24 hours. Tho tight quarters,along with unions every where,all is easily accessed and very clean. Good luck with your project.
Are you worried about the return being connected to manifold and impacting the equipment that’s on manifold when return is shut off ? For example a calcium Reactor/ carbon reactor? Any change in flow will impact the calcium reactor. I’m still in process of setting mines up.

Lojenn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you worried about the return being connected to manifold and impacting the equipment that’s on manifold when return is shut off ? For example a calcium Reactor/ carbon reactor? Any change in flow will impact the calcium reactor. I’m still in process of setting mines up.
No, i'm not worried. This will all be done manually. As reactors go on, I'll increase the volume from the return pump via the 11/4 True union. I don't foresee adding any electronic device to control that. Also if manifold is manually turned on, and i walk away, the ATO will fill the void. At present water with manifold valves at 50%, the water level drops approx 2". I have control at each end. All is schedule 80 hard plumbing, with the exception of silicone tubing to reactors. No concerns of flow drop like one would have using some type of vinyl tubing. Thanks for your interest. Wishing you complete success and a hardy pat on the back once yours is done.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back