For a Herbie overflow, the gate valve is placed .......

• right after the bulkhead from the tank.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • close to the sump.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BrandonP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running a 120 gallon reef-ready reef tank for the past 6 years. For all of this time I have been running with the drain kit that can be bought in addition to the tank. I have switched up the plumbing underneath the tank multiple times but it has always been one durso in each overflow tower along with returns.

I am now building a new sump for my tank and since I will be re-plumbing I am going to be switching over to a Herbie style drain in each overflow tower. I doing this so it will hopefully be much quieter than the dursos and safer as well. My main questions is do I install the gate valve right after the bulkhead from the tank or do I install it as close as possible to the sump? I really appreciate the help! Also if you have any other advice, I appreciate it as well!

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1170.JPG
I have been running a 120 gallon reef-ready reef tank for the past 6 years. For all of this time I have been running with the drain kit that can be bought in addition to the tank. I have switched up the plumbing underneath the tank multiple times but it has always been one durso in each overflow tower along with returns.

I am now building a new sump for my tank and since I will be re-plumbing I am going to be switching over to a Herbie style drain in each overflow tower. I doing this so it will hopefully be much quieter than the dursos and safer as well. My main questions is do I install the gate valve right after the bulkhead from the tank or do I install it as close as possible to the sump? I really appreciate the help! Also if you have any other advice, I appreciate it as well!
I don't think it really makes much difference to the operation to be honest but on mine it is immediately after the bulkhead so I have Bulkhead>Valve>Pipe into sump.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you attempting to install a full syphon drain with separate gate valve in each overflow? This could be challenging to "dial in."

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have room to get your hand behind your tank I would install the gate valve there so you can see the drains to fine tune the overflow, it is a lot easier then good no under the tank to adjust the gate valve, then getting back out from under the stand to check the water level in the overflow.

Mele__Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't really matter where you have the gate valve just make sure you add unions to both side. Very easy to remove and maintenance. Also, make sure it's has easy access to dial in. Good luck!

Back