PMD?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad that your clam is doing better. FWD is stressful for clams. Otherwise healthy clams will do fine, but clams that are weakened due to prolong PMD or clams that are in poor shape, not growing may die with treatment. As in almost any treatment, the treatment is toxic, our goal is to kill the pathogen without permanently injure the hosts.
I do QT all my clams, regardless of prior to introduce them to healthy clams. PMD and parasitic snails are only two of the easily treatable disease of clams. Other disease, we have no way of treating.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didn’t think you came off that way at all! You and Mojo gave very good information without any backhanded statements. Just pure facts and understanding. Also I ordered that book. Thanks a ton!

The one clam that I FWD is in full recovery and no longer pinching. Looks amazing. The other clam was doing great until my tailspot blenny harassed it all day and it looks rough now. Trying to catch the tailspot blenny and hopefully the clam will recover.

Thanks again, that comment was not for you. You were awesome. I just get frustrated in this hobby sometimes because there is no one truth and if you arnt following someone truth I feel a lot of people try to put you down for it.
Yeah, it can be tough to navigate the information on forums, because you have no idea who you’re actually getting the info from. My biggest issue with advice sometimes is someone giving specific numbers without knowing all the information from someone’s tank. Clams are tough because they are complex animals with organs, so there’s a lot going on. Hopefully you can catch the blenny, they’ve been known to pick at mantles here and there. As @OrionN mentioned, not all clams make it after a FWD, but if they’re healthy and strong, they should recover. Enjoy the book!
Cheers!

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with maximizing the light. This will be difficult with clams next to lps that thrive in the 100-200 par level, and in deeper tanks. For these reasons I have my clams in my refugium 5-7 inches under a Kessil 360we at 100%.
IMG_4335.jpeg

OP
OP
PaulieReef

PaulieReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with maximizing the light. This will be difficult with clams next to lps that thrive in the 100-200 par level, and in deeper tanks. For these reasons I have my clams in my refugium 5-7 inches under a Kessil 360we at 100%.
IMG_4335.jpeg
What a cool idea!!!! I was just looking at kessil 360 the other day.

OP
OP
PaulieReef

PaulieReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buddy has an extra kessil 360. Moving maximas to sump once the gooseneck comes in. Going to stick to the sand clams since they seem to be doing good and have grow lines. Maximas will get moved to sump and see how much par I can kick out of the light.

I own a par meter so hopefully can get it high!

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buddy has an extra kessil 360. Moving maximas to sump once the gooseneck comes in. Going to stick to the sand clams since they seem to be doing good and have grow lines. Maximas will get moved to sump and see how much par I can kick out of the light.

I own a par meter so hopefully can get it high!
Owning a PAR meter is essential.

Before LEDs, it wasn't nearly so big a deal. With LEDs, it's essential.

OP
OP
PaulieReef

PaulieReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So rearranged my entire sump to give space for the clams. Currently sitting at 650 par (most the light could put out). Might build an egg crate to raise them higher in the water for more par but want to see how they react in this par.

This is essentially double the par they are use to. Do clams need acclimation periods going from 300/350 to 650? I know someone said they are use to 1k. But I had 2 of these maximas sitting at 300 for a solid 6 months.

OP
OP
PaulieReef

PaulieReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update to everyone here who helped me. Yes the clams were dying from lack of par and I greatly appreciate your help with this post. I know I got a little upset and I am sorry about that. This hobby can be very frustrating. Needless to say I now have a sump with a kessil 360 on it blasting the clams for 650 par and they have never looked better or more full and open. Progress pic below and then I’ll let this thread die. Just wanted to say thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_7999.jpeg
    IMG_7999.jpeg
    271 KB · Views: 34

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back