Poll: ATO consumption

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by NowGlazeIT, Feb 26, 2018.

?
  1. 1 week or less

471 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. 2 weeks

97 vote(s)
    14.2%
  3. 3 weeks

18 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. Month or more

43 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. I wish I had a reliable auto top off system

56 vote(s)
    8.2%
  1. NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT Valuable Member R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Hows it going R2R

I run a 60g display with a 10g sump and my 10g ATO last me 3weeks.
    How long does your ATO last?

How big is your Total water volume and ATO?

I gotta say as I kick my feet up and refill my ATO for the first time in 3 weeks, that this sure beats the heck out of using a Home Depot bucket for my FW revisor.

Big tank owners!
    How big is your ATO and is it ever big enough!?

jsker and AnakinReefWalker like this.

2. AnakinReefWalker

AnakinReefWalker Member

Def. need to upgrade mine, 3-gallon jug doesn't last very long on my 120g, I have to fill up every other day which is not fun for me, and I have to mix in Kalkwasser, I'll be looking to upgrade to a 10g (hopefully)

NowGlazeIT likes this.
  3. Mel 2038

Mel 2038 Active Member

125 mostly open top, use is 3 gal a day

five.five-six likes this.
  4. AdamNC

AdamNC Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

5 gallon bucket lasts my 29 gallon about 8-9 days.

JoshH and NowGlazeIT like this.
  5. Benga

Benga Active Member

I still need to get an ATO. My tank loses a gallon a day almost exactly in a 50g tank.
    So until I can set up a 20-30g ato i probably wont bother.

6. Daltrey

Daltrey Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

I run a 160 gallon display with a 40 gallon sump. My 50 gallon ATO lasts me around three weeks also. Plus I just did a 25 gallon water change in around 10 minutes.

F6ED9D94-FEB9-4809-8DDA-6F0D953F27F1.jpeg

7. scott11106

scott11106 Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Do you have to clean the reservoirs ? Where did you get those 50 gallon? I was thinking of using a brute but I like those better but look hard to clean

8. MaddyP

MaddyP 'Til Reefdom Come... R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I have a gravity fed 25g reservoir. My 75g uses it up in about a month.

C5427DEF-80BF-4A8A-86FF-1FFC48CCFE27.jpeg

9. five.five-six

five.five-six Active Member SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor

Wow! How do you get 3 gal a day? I have a 135 open top with fans and halides and the most I evap is about 2 gal a day.

10. Greybeard

Greybeard Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

My ATO... a Tunze... I hope it will last for many years!

My ATO reservoir? 5g, on a ~150g system, gets refilled (automatically) every other day. Not that it's completely empty by then... no reason I know of to ever let it go dry.

NowGlazeIT likes this.
  11. andrewkw

andrewkw Well-Known Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

My top off needs vary greatly by season and even location in the house. This time of year I am refilling my 7 gallon top off container twice a week, but in the summer probably longer then once a week. Typically I don't let it run dry and refill when I do my weekly water changes but in the winter I need to refill at least one more time during the week as well.

My indoor humidity levels vary from 30%-90% I live on an island (freshwater nothing exciting) so in the summer it's extremely humid but in the winter I heat my house with wood so it's extremely dry. We even run a humidifier which is something I never in a million years thought I'd own. In addition to my 112 gallon reef I have an open top 90 gallon and they do not create enough humidity in the dead of winter.

Meanwhile I have my frag / qt systems in a room that I mostly keep closed because of my cats and have to run a standard dehumidifier there, even before the room had tanks the window got condensation frequently. I just top off these tanks manually and it's very little which is why I haven't stressed about putting auto tops on them.

NowGlazeIT likes this.
  12. Daltrey

Daltrey Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

I've never had to clean them and a year later they still look new on the inside. Everything you need is on the first page of my build thread.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/daltreys-red-sea-reefer-750-xxl-build.351366/

13. ksfulk

ksfulk Grow sticks, grow!!! R2R Supporter Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I use 2 - 5 gallon containers for my ATO reservoirs. One is a 5 gallon bucket with a JG fitting that I have KW and RO/DI water in thats run off an Avast Peristalic pump and the other is a 5 gallon HPLC water container from my work that just holds RO/DI and uses an Apex PMUP. Both are connected to a pressure switch that is routed through my Apex BOB, and the peristalic pump has been in service on various tanks (30 gallon upto a 350 gallon) for the last six years. The PMUP was a relatively recent addition, about a year or so ago.

I have a Red Sea Reefer 525xL, which is about 120 gallon total system, when factoring in displacement and a custom sump. My evaporation varies from season to season, but on average I loose about 2.3 gallons of water daily. When I go on vacation, I move the peristalic tubing to my 40 gallon RO/DI reservoir if I wont be home for more than a few days.

NowGlazeIT likes this.
  14. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award CTARS Member Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor R2R TV Featured

My ATO reservoir is 65 gallons (a standard 75 gal tank) and lasts 8-9 days across my various tanks during the driest months (an extra 2-3 days during the more humid months). Keep in mind that the physical size of the reservoir is your last line of defense against runaway ATO, so I personally would not want more than 10 days (I never go away for any longer than that; plus I can remotely trigger the ATO reservoir refill if absolutely necessary).

15. Chuk

Chuk Active Member

I have a 90 with a 40 breeder sump which is half full. I’m estimating I’m at ~110g total vol and I have a 7 gal ATOnit lasts ~3-4 days in the summer and about a week in the winter

NowGlazeIT likes this.
  16. keithdoc

keithdoc Member Build Thread Contributor

I have a 20G Brute container and a Tunze ATO for my 120G display and 44G sump.

Lasts about 2 weeks in winter (not much humidity when gas furnace running), much longer in summer.

NowGlazeIT likes this.
  17. NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT Valuable Member R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

For those of you with these water storage/mixing stations I envy you!!

Flexin likes this.
  18. mandi29221

mandi29221 Active Member

Same. I'm in a rental property. The landlord doesn't even know I'm setting a tank up. Only area in my house is the pump house which landlord visits every week...

19. Dragon52

Dragon52 Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

My 5gl ATO last me a week most of the time, I have noticed that if I increase my sump pump speed it uses more.

NowGlazeIT likes this.
  20. sundog101

sundog101 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

4 days

NowGlazeIT likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted