• Total voters

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine only lasts about 6 days upgrading to 100 gallon soon as it warms up
I use more top off in the winter. It's slightly less humid here in the winter but the gas heat in the house dries up the tank faster. In the summer I have the AC at full blast so there isn't as much evaporation.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use more top off in the winter. It's slightly less humid here in the winter but the gas heat in the house dries up the tank faster. In the summer I have the AC at full blast so there isn't as much evaporation.
I also have gas heat but I use a lot I guess in the summer about 4 to 5 gallons a day I am a little worried with my new build I may set up my RODI to fill a 100 or 150 gallon storage container in the garage. Not sure how much I will end up using when my new tank arrives I

Salty Carlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon tank 20 gallon sump. ATO reservoir is a 5 gallon jug and lasts me about 3 days

Phiilip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 with 3 AI Hudra 26s for lighting. They don’t put off much heat. I have a 5 gal ATO that lasts me about a week on average.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine is an 18 gal Synergy Reef and last about 2 weeks. I have glass covers which really slows down the EVAP process.

Regarding your question on how often- It depends on evaporation and and tank/room temperatures and humidity of the house. Obviously use of a furnace will accelerate evaporation.

jenniferw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon, open top- 10 gallon ato lasts 5 days. My closed top bio cube 14 has a 5 gallon ato that lasts well over a month, maybe 2 :)

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta love the RSR 170 ATO "reservoir". Basically if you remember one night, you can go the next day without worrying but you'd better remember the morning after that...

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45g rimless with a 10g ATO reservoir. Lasts about 1 week. Building a 220 system with an auto filling rodi system, so hopefully I will never have to touch it soon.

reefruss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is now on a perpetual system. I have a 20 gallon Brute garbage can that serves as my ATO reservoir. I set it up with a mercury float switch which turns on a 24v circuit and opens a sprinkler valve supplying water to my ro di unit and refilling the reservoir. Thus far it's been working flawlessly for two months. I do have a secondary float switch installed in the lid of the tank that will shut off the voltage to the valve if the other float switch fails, just a back up. I got really tired of carrying water up to my reservoir when everything was in the tank cabinet. When I moved and expanded my sump to my garage I had the room to create this system. Now that I'm sure everything is working properly I'm in the process of building a face frame cabinet to enclose everything and make my wife happy.
20180301_220425_resized.jpg

chinw76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my Ro unit charge a 4 gallon pressure vessel 3 days a week automatically. Then it is plumbed to my ATO which has a solenoid valve that opens to fill my sump. I never run out of water, and it is completely automatic, never have to worry about it.

Emerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DT is 75 gal with a 20 gal sump (~85 gal actual water volume). I use a Tunze Osmolator ATO with a Trigger Systems 10 gal reservoir, it lasts about 12-14 days. I made the mistake of starting out with a a 5 gal reservoir (also Trigger) trying to save some space, but the refill interval was too short (5-7 days). Sold it on CL for half price...live and learn.

Cary Meredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 200 gallons total volume, I haven't manually filled my ato in over a year, since I installed my ro/di unit, my ato has a float switch and automatically get filled as it is used.

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rubbermaid trash can as an ATO Resevoir for my about 100 gallons total system volume. Last me around a month (once it empties, i refill it, mix in salt and do a water change before i go back to using it as a resevoir)

Mushroomhead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 75g display with an external overflow uses my 5g ato in 2 days. Just installed glass covers to see if it slowed evaporation, but haven't noticed much difference. My 105g rr uses 10 gal a week. Not sure if the external overflow causes that much more evaporation or if it's the different lights.

Anthony kolodziej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5 gallon jug that fills about half way with a float valve in it direct plumbed to my RO and a tunze to send it to sump . My only worry is the auto shut off getting stuck open
or just dumping reject water all day Id be broke from water bill

Back