Poll: Favorite Snail

What is Your Favorite Snail? - (Discuss reasons in thread)

• Cerith

Votes: 29 4.4%
  • Nassarius

Votes: 129 19.6%
  • Trochus

Votes: 239 36.4%
  • Margarita

Votes: 10 1.5%
  • Nerite

Votes: 9 1.4%
  • Mexican Turbo

Votes: 108 16.4%
  • Astrea

Votes: 78 11.9%
  • Conch

Votes: 55 8.4%

• Total voters

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands down, Strombus grazers, which aren't Strombus or conch. Not bulldozers, reproduce quickly, won't eat anything you don't want eaten, hardy, interesting to watch if you look closely. Much better than any of the ones you listed.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^^this^^^^
I love my turbos. They're like a Terminator.
"Listen, and understand. That turbo snail is out there. It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until your algae is gone."

I know right. And the crazy part is they sometimes take turns eating algae from the others shells. mind blowing:eek:

cpbartak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My favorite's not listed... it's a coldwater snail (55-60ish temp) that does a great job cleaning and looks very nice, the Jewel Top Snail (Calliostoma annulatum):

4390745231_7ff08583f8.jpg

furyofthegnomes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have said the Ninja Star snail, but after a similar post a few months back where I said that they barely need to be flipped over, ever since then it seems ever other day I have to help one ;Sorry. I went with conchs because they're fun to watch with their beady little eyes. The larger varieties can be bulldozers though. Trochus if we're looking at this purely at a utilitarian viewpoint.

knoxvegas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Banded Trochus. In a small nano tank I've had a single Trochus be the entire CUC member and live 5 years+, only to replace with another for 5+ years

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Limpets, they eat cyanobacteria and look different than a lot of other snails, the only downside is that once they fall theres no getting up without assistance.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter saw your pole and feels slighted because her favorite snail, the bumble bee, is not listed. For shame.;Shifty

Apologize to your daughter for me...

upload_2018-1-24_10-56-14.jpeg

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know right. And the crazy part is they sometimes take turns eating algae from the others shells. mind blowing:eek:
Yep. It's funny to watch one of my monster turbos climb onto a trochus snails shell while it's on the glass or overflow to clean off its shell. The poor trochus must think that gravity suddenly tripled and clings to the glass for dear life.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus for reliability - and repopulating themselves. My tank is littered with baby Trochus and every few days I see more egg trails. I also really like Cerith - despite a fairly high failure rate within the first few days of adding new, the ones who survive seem to live a really long time.

kdc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote for the Conch unless it’s for usefulness, then it’s the Trochus. But I do smaller tanks because we’re military and I end up selling or moving them.

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
favourite snail is my limpets, I started with about 5 from a friends tank, and now have about fifty. they aways go back to there own spot every daytime, but at night comeout all over the tank like a heard of cows, cleaning the place up

Slarti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fighting conches are BY FAR the best snail or keeping the sand and bottom of the tank clean. The guys are my favorite because they are always sifting through the sand with there long mouths and its so cool to watch and there big eyes are so cool. They are probably the most unique of all the snails also. They are a necessity for any reef tank in my opinion.

c.jpg

Agree, if I take a little longer in cleaning my glass you can see where my conch has gone and 'cleaned' it for me. Little half circles as far up as he could reach.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back