Poll: Favorite Snail

What is Your Favorite Snail? - (Discuss reasons in thread)

• Cerith

Votes: 29 4.4%
  • Nassarius

Votes: 129 19.6%
  • Trochus

Votes: 239 36.4%
  • Margarita

Votes: 10 1.5%
  • Nerite

Votes: 9 1.4%
  • Mexican Turbo

Votes: 108 16.4%
  • Astrea

Votes: 78 11.9%
  • Conch

Votes: 55 8.4%

• Total voters

jnvd3b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning wise i like the cerith snails they do a good job on diatoms imo. Trochus are good as well. Turbos are too clumsy!

But my vote is for nassarius as they are the most interesting. always love when they start sniffing food being dropped in to the tank.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mexican Turbo snails are the only snails IME that eat anything growing on the rock short of coralline algae. They also clean my vortech pumps weekly and overflow box every few days. I have 5 of them and I care for them the same way I do fish and account for them daily and supplement feed them every 2-5 days depending on available algae on the tank. Its easy to tell when they need more food, after feeding them nori they usually go into couch potato mode for 24 hrs, when they need food its obvious since they will be cleaning rocks that don't need cleaning. I'd like to find a new home for 2 of them I feel 3 is plenty for my 115 gallon tank. I wouldnt recommend adding more than 1" of turbosnail per 50 gallon unless you want to feed them extra or really have a on going algae problem. 1 of my turbos can eat 2 sheets on its own so I will say they will keep the tank clean like no other snails i've kept. Alot of ppl have bad luck with them because they starve out i've had one grow to 3" in the past and was the only one in my 120 gallon tank..

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^^this^^^^
I love my turbos. They're like a Terminator.
"Listen, and understand. That turbo snail is out there. It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until your algae is gone."

lauderdalestunner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
83d750f9b0ddbc0c135edf13a89518e6.jpg

What is that...! Amazed and grossed out at the same time....

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have all of the snails listed in the poll except margaritas. If I had to narrow it down to one, it would probably be trochus. They're great as an all-around snail, not too big, not too small, can right themselves (most of the time) and reproduce under good conditions. Of course, I don't think I could ever run a tank without all of the snails listed in the poll? Although, if I had a tank full of strombus maculatus and stomatellas, I would be content.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should add "other" to the poll. I Like stomatella snails, because they are free, breed like crazy, and are flat and can get into the tight places. you also dont see them during the day. they wont eat the harder algae though.

U

User1

View Badges
Strombus Grazers - received 6 has part of a reef tune-up kit from IPSF years ago. Breed like rabbits. Always nice to have around.

Mark Waltermire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have black banded trochus snails that breed in my tank so they're my favorite. You can't complain with a free never ending supply of good snails. I do have a couple of turbo snails too and they seem to quite a good job at night, just not as active in the day time.

ALbque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Astrea are my favorite, next would be Margaritas.... they are both workhorses and the Asteras are always laying eggs for an endless supply as a bonus......

rck329

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my conch - he is one of the most interesting creatures in my tank. Close second are the cowries. The way their mantles extend is really cool.

star fawkes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have exclusively trochus snails in my 120 CUC, and not a single crab either. I started with 10 trochus and now have about 25. The only other inverts I have are one cleaner shrimp and one peppermint shrimp for their ability to control other things in the tank and a blue linckia because I like the way it looks. I am a firm believer that you only need trochus snails in your home aquariums and other inverts are aesthetic additions only.

Slarti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of snails, cleaning the tank this weekend I also took out some smaller rocks to give them a scrub. When I poured the water out I heard 'something' clunk in the bottom of the sink. And there in all its glory a Trochus snail! Now I bought a couple about two years ago and could swear I removed all the empty shells over time. Obviously not as one survived, one that I have not seen in more than 12 months!!! Probably doubled in size as well but soon disappeared towards the back of the tank and not seen since! Ahh the mysteries of a marine aquarium...

Eagle aquatics315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fighting conches are BY FAR the best snail or keeping the sand and bottom of the tank clean. The guys are my favorite because they are always sifting through the sand with there long mouths and its so cool to watch and there big eyes are so cool. They are probably the most unique of all the snails also. They are a necessity for any reef tank in my opinion.

c.jpg

rck329

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of snails, cleaning the tank this weekend I also took out some smaller rocks to give them a scrub. When I poured the water out I heard 'something' clunk in the bottom of the sink. And there in all its glory a Trochus snail! Now I bought a couple about two years ago and could swear I removed all the empty shells over time. Obviously not as one survived, one that I have not seen in more than 12 months!!! Probably doubled in size as well but soon disappeared towards the back of the tank and not seen since! Ahh the mysteries of a marine aquarium...

It is amazing to me how some things can stay so hidden - even doing the flashlight at night occasionally. I was convinced my conch had died, then one day, there he was, fine as can be. The cowries do the same thing. Don't see them for months, then they pop out!

SnailQueen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fighting conches are BY FAR the best snail or keeping the sand and bottom of the tank clean. The guys are my favorite because they are always sifting through the sand with there long mouths and its so cool to watch and there big eyes are so cool. They are probably the most unique of all the snails also. They are a necessity for any reef tank in my opinion.

c.jpg

I love when I'm looking at something else in the tank, and then out of nowhere, conch eyestalks and eyestalks only pop out of the sand bed like a spy. Tied with the urchins for my favorite critters!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back