Poll: Have you ever tried to breed Clownfish?

Have you ever tried to breed your Clownfish?

• Yes - Successfully

Votes: 40 9.2%
  • Yes - Not successfully

Votes: 22 5.1%
  • No - But considering it

Votes: 89 20.6%
  • No - No interest in attempting it

Votes: 168 38.8%
  • No - I do not have spawning clowns

Votes: 56 12.9%
  • No - I do not have clowns

Votes: 58 13.4%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns spawn every two to three weeks. When they first started this, my bride wanted me to try to raise them. After extensive research, and sharing that with her, we both decided it was too much trouble and we were getting free fish food. :rolleyes:

Curious how many have actually tried to raise their fry. Feel free to share your stories, success or failure, here. Might provide some details for other considering to give it a shot.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a pair that I purchased with the intent to breed. They are still a bit young I think. So I chose Yes - Not successful for now :)

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased a breeding pair last year, but they never bred for me. I am currently building a breeding system with 4 chambers. I hope 1 out of the 4 breed for me.

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a true perc and ocellarius that spawn about once a month. I thought about trying to raise the fry but i have decided against it for now. Maybe next winter i will rear the fry when I'm stuck inside with nothing else to do.

I just bought a male and two female mccoskers wrasses that I'm hoping to get breeding. That will be a real test!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same, they lay eggs, and they hatch. But I don't have the knowledge, time, or resources to try raising them. So they become free food. Happens about every 2 to 4 weeks.

Mohammad D. ALMUTAIRI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for me I always wanted to breed Clownfish
the down side of it for me
I need Rotifers for the fry "which not available" around here

been planing it so much, that am trying to put all the effort to do so after I finish from my apartment remodeling

so I go for
No - But considering it

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I have not, but I will be breeding Bangaii cardinals and if succesfull then I'll try clowns. But Bangaii's you don't need rotifers, only bbs. And rotifers are not tht hard to culture, you just need to propogate phyto for them. It just takes a lot of room which I don't have.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 clowns make it from a batch like 20 or more years ago it was so much work never tied it again, I think today it is a little easier, but no time now and no one to feed them all day we feed them every 2 hours.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of mated Maroons,every so often they start acting differently & the female chases everybody away from their rock pile. I can't really see in there if they have laid eggs or not.

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the early 90's I had a breeding pair of clowns. I decided that I'd get rich by selling their offspring to local fish stores. I read as much information as I could get. (The internet didn't exist in the form it is today.) I set up a growout facility in my basement with multiple tanks for the fry and tanks for live food propagation. I was fairly successful at raising them but the market just wasn't big enough to justify the cost and effort. Still, it was very interesting and fun.

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about, as I breed different freshwater fish. I still have my old fish room in the garage and I have tons of space.

Just getting rid of them would be the issue, that's why I got out of freshwater there was no money to be made to even offset the cost.

There was a guy who lived about 20 miles away from me who was doing it with great success but he moved a few years ago, his operation was nice and simple.

If you are able to raise them whats the best way to market them or sell them? Local stores will only buy a few at a time if that

swishb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have raised Clarkie clowns way back in early 90's not much info back then.!What I learned then. Have them spawn in something you can remove ie 4" clay pot once you can see their eyes remove to a dark tank cover with black trash bag very dim top light once hatched feed rotifers ! Good luck !

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My monster Spotcinstus used to lay every 11 days. My wife really wanted me to raise the fry. I handed her the books from my library and told her if she was looking for a second full time job to knock her self out. After looking briefly in the books I never heard about it again.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My clowns breed regularly as well and I am going to attempt it one day!

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine spawn regularly. I considered it. Consideration went something like this: I live in WY, there are really no LFS here. I thought of a childs book about having guppies all over in little jars. I now have about 70 young mollies in a salt water tank. We call them the "horde". There are just to many little clowns out there that need good homes. So it is a no for me. ;)
Shelley

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns spawning spured me on to try other fish, such as dottybacks, cardnels, gobies, and even mandarins all of which I was successful with. I was not too great with royal grammas jawfish, and quite a few others. However life called and now I'm a military man moving every so often. Now that I'm at a base that I will more likely be staying at until the end of my contract. I've set up another reef and may start breeding fish once more.

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a beautiful pair of Lighting Clowns, my goal is to breed them and sell their offspring for $10.00 each to anyone who wants one or two. If someone is willing to pick them up they will be free.

Designer clowns are WAY too expensive, hopefully by selling these cheaply or giving them away for free I can begin to put pressure on breeders to bring down the cost.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back