Poll: How many tanks do you have running?

How many aquariums do you have running?

Votes: 294 37.7%

Votes: 242 31.1%

Votes: 129 16.6%

Votes: 62 8.0%

Votes: 21 2.7%
  • 6+

Votes: 31 4.0%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a member request a poll on how many separate tanks people have running. For me it's just one and that's enough! So let us know how many you are running in your house. Feel free to provide details below.

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fresh with some plants.

Turtle tank that my mom gave my daughter. terrible gift if you don't ask the person if they are willing to take care of them. She just showed up with them.

QT tank runs all the time. Have to to off.

Copepods farming tank. I have a ton of them in there Just cant figure out how to take them out.

And my reef tank.

Last edited:

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now we have 2. The 75 reef and my wife's nano. At one point we had 4 tanks going. The 75 reef, a 125, a 55 chiclid tank, a biocube for an octopus. That was before we had our daughter;)

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see 'too many' as a choice LOL.

My main system has three connected displays - 450 main, 120 fish/invert refugium and a 60 frag tank. Each of my two boys have a nano in their rooms and I keep a 29 running as an invert QT. Then two regular QT tanks that are setup as needed.

Eastlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one 150 gallon mixed reef, 75 gallon mixed freshwater community, and two ten gallons with and embarrassing amount of bushy nose plecos. Those suckers just won't stop breeding!

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 for now not counting a running qt tank. When the fish is ready to come out, I dry it out. I like having separate systems to do different things but in an emergency most of them could handle life from the other tanks. It's also great to have an extra tank you can do weird stuff with..

• Reef - 112 gallon my mixed reef, my pride and joy this gets 90% of my time and effort.
  • frag tank 55 gallon - this is just a junk tank with mostly frags of stuff that is overgrowing in the display. I also use this for invert qt and fish that have been treated but still need time to fatten up / establish have the option of going in here after qt but before dt. All I do for this tank is use my dt waterchange water to perform water changes. 10 minutes of work a week. It's softies mostly so no need to monitor parameters.
  • 90 gallon fowlr - this houses a lionfish and nothing more. I don't even have a real cleanup crew. This tank is beyond easy to maintain I just have to remember to feed the fish once or twice a week. I check the nitrates every few months to make sure things aren't headed toxic but it doesn't need testing or water changes. Everyone who loves fish should try some sort of fowlr. It's less work than a goldfish.
  • 10 gallon sexy shrimp nano reef - new project I should start a build thread for this. Just a fun tank to play around with that doesn't effect main tank.
My long long term goal is to have a dominated display be it sps, lps or softies, then have a smaller mixed reef for the corals that don't do well in the main display 13 years in the hobby and I still haven't decided what direction to take main display. Having a frag tank just makes sense for so many reasons, then I like keeping "weird" stuff. Right now I just have the lionfish, but in the past I've used my fowlr tank for things like garden eels, cuttlefish and octopus (not all at once over the last 10 years). Nano reefing is how I originally got started, and small tanks are just so easy to reset with a massive water change and when you're already making water for big tanks a big nano water change is nothing.

You certainly can have too many and the biggest problem with having so many separate systems that are not plumbed together is you need things like extra auto top offs, do you risk not having temp controller on less important systems ect. Things like the fowlr I can actually run without an ato since the salinity is not critical but if I'm away for even 2 days it does need one. In fact I am going away for a few days. I do have someone close to come over and start the generator if need be and I'm still debating just getting him to plug in the main dt and fowlr and forgetting about the other small tanks. The odds of this happening are maybe 1/1000 but in order to not overwhelm him with millions of things to plug in I may just say worry about the big tanks.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3, and a tote lol

40 gallon reef
29 gallon half full fresh
60 gallon land hermit crab
40 gallon tote with betta pallifina.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does 2 observation/Qt tanks count? I have 2, 20 longs for this. Also a 75 reef experimental tank & a 180 FO I'm slowly stocking.

DisVillain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie here, so zero at the moment. Voted 1 tank since I plan to have QT up and running within the next 2 weeks. (Setting up a Nuvo 10 as DT.)

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
35g cube reef

14g temporary dwarf moray tank/frag tank

10g QT that stays running/chaeto grow tank(I had extra from a local reefer, just kinda stuck it in there for ammonia protection while observing new fish)/pod grow tank(like @DancingShark, I also can't figure out how I'm going to get them out)

10g fresh water with a few easy plants and cory cats

4, I have 4 aquariums running at my house right now.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gal mixed reef, this takes most time and effort

32 gal biocube "softie" tank (although I'm getting it ready for some acans)

20 gal QT, always running

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 75 mixed reef
55 fowlr
55 heavy planted freshwater tank thinking about that as a reef

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DancingShark @Robin Haselden pod hotels/condo I’m sure you guys can diy.
3F9D784E-95AC-4FDB-A991-F5581C29F165.png

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running 5 tanks.

A 40g reef tank soon to be upgraded to a 75g.
2 5g planted tanks for my each of my kids.
a 2.5g planted at my office with a beta in it.
a 5g planted at my wife's office also with a beta in it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back