Poll: Male or Female - Aquarist not the Fish!

Are You a Male or Female Aquarist?

• Total voters

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gender is obvious if you read my screen name.

TBH, I've come across more male chauvinism in this hobby than I have anywhere else in my life...including 10 years in the U.S. Navy, 3 years in the Department of Corrections (as an employee not a guest) and 15 years combined fitness training/triathlon/cycling. Much of it was on the "other" forum LOL.

That having been said, there are a few really awesome, welcoming reefers in my local club - genuinely good people who want to promote the hobby and help out us newbies. I've come across a few really great people here on R2R too - more every day.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say 90/10 to 80/20 is pretty accurate for my own personal experience of genders and reef tanks.

I don't think women are less capable than men in the hobby, but I do think there is truth to the stereotype that men are generally much more willing to spend money in expensive hobbies.
All my hobbies are expensive...;)

Carmen Rivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The owner of my LFS is a woman - she started a tank maintenance business and then opened the store a few years ago. It's an awesome store and she's a great resource to the local community - we need more people like her!
In my case the owner of my LFS is a couple but the female is the one that does most of everything. She's very knowledgeable and because of her, I got started in this hobby. Any questions/issues I have, I call her and she helps me out. She does everything from plumming and tank set up to maintenance and sustainability of corals.

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lady Reefer, joining the conversation. My husband FREAKED OUT at the money I have spent. I had a friend that helped me set up my first 120, so much of the cost was reduced or hidden. Building my new 180 at the moment - he is doing the plumbing . . .
I think he finally realized that I was going to do this whether he was in or out, so might as well be ok with it.

I have been very surprised at the male - female ratio in this hobby, but have never felt unwelcome. It takes a lot of smarts to do this hobby for sure, so doesn't matter if you are male or female, just have to be able to learn learn learn, make mistakes and then learn more. I love it! And yes - I still hide what I spend. I would much rather blow money on my tank than shoes or clothes or whatever else :)

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all my years in reefing, I came to realize it’s very much like underwater gardening. It takes research and patience, just like terrestrial gardening does. My wife is interested in helping me and does get involved from time to time.

This hobby draws all ages, genders and races across the planet. It’s a universal inquisitiveness of our oceans and the life in it that brought us here. This is truly a very unique hobby and there is nothing like it. Learning always, understanding, responsible, sharing and caring.

I’m glad all of you are here.

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amen! :)
The wonder in the faces of everyone who sees my tank - young, old, male female . . . doesn't matter. And that is what I love! :)

In all my years in reefing, I came to realize it’s very much like underwater gardening. It takes research and patience, just like terrestrial gardening does. My wife is interested in helping me and does get involved from time to time.

This hobby draws all ages, genders and races across the planet. It’s a universal inquisitiveness of our oceans and the life in it that brought us here. This is truly a very unique hobby and there is nothing like it. Learning always, understanding, responsible, sharing and caring.

I’m glad all of you are here.

Jennie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lady Reefer, joining the conversation. My husband FREAKED OUT at the money I have spent. I had a friend that helped me set up my first 120, so much of the cost was reduced or hidden. Building my new 180 at the moment - he is doing the plumbing . . .
I think he finally realized that I was going to do this whether he was in or out, so might as well be ok with it.

I have been very surprised at the male - female ratio in this hobby, but have never felt unwelcome. It takes a lot of smarts to do this hobby for sure, so doesn't matter if you are male or female, just have to be able to learn learn learn, make mistakes and then learn more. I love it! And yes - I still hide what I spend. I would much rather blow money on my tank than shoes or clothes or whatever else :)
Me as well

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assumed that CJ, the vice prez of my new local reef club was a guy. well Cj was going to be in my neighborhood the next day on business. I invited "him" over to check out my tanks & have a beer. well around the appointed time there is a knock at the door I was very surprised to see a very attractive lady ! LOL She came on in, we drank a beer & talked saltwater tanks! I learned a good lesson that day. Can't assume a gender by a user name. So now I'm careful not the give a " Thanks Man " unless I'm sure !

Beemer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Female here, I was thrown in to this hobby after my husband retired from military and started doing contract work in Pakistan. I had no idea what to do beside what he would tell me to do, to understand what I was doing I read everything I could, still do. Ten years later I have 3 tanks and he's not allowed to touch them.

Lisavet2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine as well, but then I ask him about guns and he forgets the subject!

Lol. I can't do that because I am guilty with the guns also and also with the cars. So my fish tanks are the only ones that get the complaining. He used to love the tanks also but he got tired of waisting money on them.

Jennie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I can't do that because I am guilty with the guns also and also with the cars. So my fish tanks are the only ones that get the complaining. He used to love the tanks also but he got tired of waisting money on them.
Ooh, don’t get me wrong... I love the guns as well but he always likes to go off on tangents about them and which one he “needs” now. Lol
CF32A5A6-9EDD-4D8A-AE67-5F1B7409989C.jpeg A44E1399-3260-4968-B5C2-C1EB5D65085A.jpeg

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This party sucks. It's all dudes!

Lol no I’m pretty sure I’m female, ummm wait nope positive :). We just kinda all stand in the dark corner and listen to all the males go (but my tank has this and I have these lights and anhhhhhh I have a home wrecker and it was 90000 dollars for .24 inches :). Us females kinda look at each other and go yup I’m okay being single.

You should all know I’m kidding and main reason for me is I’m just shy and quiet. Though I’m known for never ending posts :).

Edit
wow how did this pop up for me to take the survey and not realize it has not been used in almost 3 years. Ahhh oops. I wonder how many of the people who responded still keep a reef tank and on here and active?

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed this thread back two years ago ..... about 5:1 guys to gals. Seems about right if the sample size that is my LFS clientele is any indication. The last reef show I went to was probably closer to 40% ladies though. Having been in this hobby for 30 years now, the number of lady reefers is definitely on the rise ... most welcome in my opinion. Back in the early 1990s, my lady friend at the time had the best eye for aquascaping of anyone I’d known .... or have known since.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 126 75.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back