Poll: Top Preferred Salt Mixes

Follow Up Poll to Instant Ocean and Red Sea Salt Users - Which One Do You Use?

• IO - Regular

Votes: 91 27.2%
  • IO - Reef Crystals

Votes: 129 38.6%
  • RS - Coral Pro

Votes: 66 19.8%
  • RS - See Salt (Blue Bucket)

Votes: 48 14.4%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on yesterday's poll found here, the top two preferred salt mix brands were Instant Ocean with 32.8% of the vote and Red Sea with 27.1%. Fritz was a distant third with 11.8% of the vote (results as of this writing).

Thought it would be interesting to narrow the results down to which type of salt is used within each brand out of the top two brands. So are you using the regular Instant Ocean or the Reef Crystals? Or do you use the Red Sea Coral Pro or the Blue Bucket?

I realize this poll will be limited to those that use one of these two brands.

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with regular but was advised to switch to the Reef Crystals since I have some coral in the tank. Owner of the LFS said he likes to use the reef cyrstals in any tank with LR to promote coraline growth

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef crystals because I bought a box of it and need to use it up! The Alk is super high but it works well

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I am finishing up my last box of reef crystals. I am switching to RS-SeaSalt (blue bucket). I am switching to get the alkalinity closer to NSW. My reef crystals mixes to a dkh of 13. want to get closer to 8-9.

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with regular but was advised to switch to the Reef Crystals since I have some coral in the tank. Owner of the LFS said he likes to use the reef cyrstals in any tank with LR to promote coraline growth
i have coralline growing on my pumps and back glass after using rs coral pro for 3 weeks. Im sure reef crystals are good too. But im not going to change a good thing!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Crystals. A good friend of mine who got me into reef keeping suggested it, and its worked for me ever since :D

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local fish stores uses and sell reef crystals and that’s all I’ve ever used. Have great growth and coloration in all my corals. Is running with the higher alkalinity really an issue as long as it’s stable? I haven’t had a problem in the seven years of using it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back