Poly-Filter Brand

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know of a value priced source for Poly-Filter brand filters. This isn't the normal filter floss you get in a roll. This is the pad that changes color if there are toxins in the tank. I am changing one every week and it gets expensive at 8.00+ a pop and they do not wash.

Thanks

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are getting them for $8 that’s a steal! They retail for around $12 most places sell for like $10.. my LFS charges $13 ;Wideyed

george51349

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are using filter pads as well, so that the poly-filter doesn't have to catch any actual gunk?
Also, may I ask where you get them from? Because $8 is less than what I pay.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are using filter pads as well, so that the poly-filter doesn't have to catch any actual gunk?

definitely consider good mechanical prefiltration for the poly filter. Poly filter really is best viewed as a chemical filter medium even though it is a pad which classically is viewed as mechanical

TheGulag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it says you can wash the pad and reuse. I will have to check the packaging when I get home but I'm pretty sure it says that.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it says you can wash the pad and reuse. I will have to check the packaging when I get home but I'm pretty sure it says that.

you can rinse in tank water or RO to help remove built up particulates but that won’t “regenerate” filter, don’t use tap water with chlorine in it to rinse.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what everyone else said put some other type of mechanical filtration (floss, pad, sponge, sock, etc...) before the poly-filter pad.

FWIW... i purchase the 3 pack of the 8 x 4 sized pads on Amazon, because @Bulk Reef Supply doesn't sell them :)

J.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use them as a mechanical filter, way too expensive! I prefer the 12x12 size and cut it into little cubes and use it in a filter cup with floss on top. The 12x12 is thicker and seems to last longer.

TheGulag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can rinse in tank water or RO to help remove built up particulates but that won’t “regenerate” filter, don’t use tap water with chlorine in it to rinse.
Yeah thats what i thought, just to clean the particulates off them not regen the chemical filtration. Seemed like the OP was having them just get dirty from "food" or other organics not change color based on chemicals in the water.

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has them for around $10 I believe. I have them underneath regular filter floss when I use them- helps filter out most of the junk before it hits the pad.

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No I don't use anything but them. I might have to start. I ran a sock for a while but it just clogged up to easily.
I get mine off Amazon in bulk. It's actually less than 8.00. for 83.50 you get 12.

george51349

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't use anything but them. I might have to start. I ran a sock for a while but it just clogged up to easily.
I get mine off Amazon in bulk. It's actually less than 8.00. for 83.50 you get 12.
That is good to know. I will have to get some more.
Also, you definitely will want to use some sort of mechanical filtration. That way the poly-filters last a LOT longer. I use filter floss, and I put the poly-filter right underneath. I was using filter socks, but they were too hard to keep clean.

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good to know. I will have to get some more.
Also, you definitely will want to use some sort of mechanical filtration. That way the poly-filters last a LOT longer. I use filter floss, and I put the poly-filter right underneath. I was using filter socks, but they were too hard to keep clean.

My sump doesn't have baffles so it makes it difficult to run water through it unless its going right through the pump which is where I have the poly filter

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple of brands that sound like Poly Filter but all they are is filter floss. They are just trying to play on the name and get people to buy then thinking they are the real thing. The real Poly Filter, as lots of prior comments have said, is primarily a chemical filter. You can use it as a mechanical filter but there is really no point as any type of filter floss will do the same thing mechanically.

Poly Filter does not have to be ‘inline‘ in the water flow. As long as there is a reasonable amount of flow around it, it will do it’s thing. I keep mine in the return section of the sump after all the rest of the filtration so it gets clean water. It sits alongside the return pumps, so water is not being drawn through it directly, but it gets more than enough flow to filter what it needs to. When my tank was young it quickly turned brown due to organics but as my tank stabilised I am getting long life. The current piece (about 2” x 5” in a 65g tank) has been there about 8 months now and looks like it has another 8 months life in it. I also keep a couple of small pieces in there which I use to seed my QT/HT if needed.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I have some polyfilter on hand, IMHO, there is no reason to use it unless a problem is suspected. As mentioned above, it is intended for use as a chemical filter, not mechanical.

When I do think there may be an issue, I cut a small (1x2 or so) piece off and put that someplace in the system so that I can easily see if there is a color change. If there is, I can then take corrective action to remove the toxin. Otherwise, it stays in the packaging it came in.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back