Positive ID please

Nate G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I have a few fish. I know what they are, but as for my coral I haven't a clue. Please help me identify what I have.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1444439154.685871.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1444439183.398112.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1444439228.240991.jpg

Also, there is something that looks like a fan worm growing from the rock. I didn't put him in there. Is this an invasive creature that needs to be dealt with?

Ahruk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top left corner of 1st picture are zoanthids, middle look to be favias, lower right is a hammer.
2nd picture, top=looks like goniapora or alvepora, middle green star polyps, bottom left looks to be a duncan, bottom right looks like bubble tip anemone.
3rd picture, left side=Bubble tip anemone to the left of the bubble tip=toadstool, top right=aptasia (an invasive anemone remove ASAP), behind gorgonian

As for the fan worm, it's probably harmless mini feather duster (unless its actually coming out of your coral). I really enjoy watching them and am trying to find some to add my tank. However some people do find them to be an eyesore and they can certainly multiple in the aquarium. Other then that they're a harmless filter feeder. Google feather duster worm to make sure that yours looks like the pictures.

OP
OP
N

Nate G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what I thought was a "fan worm" was the Aiptasia. I am going to the store tomorrow to buy some peppermint shrimp. They feast on these guys.

OP
OP
N

Nate G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahruk, why is it bad if the feather duster is growing from the rock?

Baaron530

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes peppermint shrimp will eradicate aptasia and yes they will multiply very quickly if not kept in check or killed. Also the green star polyps are very pretty green but be careful they grow very quickly and can also take over if not kept in check, frag pieces every couple month and give away or sell them to keep it manageable

Ahruk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not bad if feather dusters are growing from rocks but I'm pretty sure that there are some types that burrow into coral to make their homes... Those ones are NOT reef safe. Most feather dusters are perfectly safe but for some reason I totally can't understand some people don't like how they look

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last pic looks like aiptasia you will want to cut below it on the rock to get it out or nuke it with some Kalk powder, aisptasia X or all then other products out there.

OP
OP
N

Nate G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 3 Peppermint Shrimp to take care of the Aptasia, but I haven't seen them since putting them in the tank. The Aptasia is still there and is growing in size.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use link to identify corals and inverts before purchase. How in the world are you going to provide the best care if you do not know the name of what you're caring for? You can find most corals and fish at the link below, you've just got to do the homework. :rolleyes:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/

OP
OP
N

Nate G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liveaquaria is a link on my home screen. I use it for almost everything. But, when I bought the tank I forgot the names of the stuff I had.

As for fish:
1 red head salon fairy Wrasse
2 snowflake clownfish
2 yellow watchman goby
1 flame angel
1 diamond goby
1 yellow clown goby
2 school fish

Then a bunch of clean up crew:
Crabs, snails, pistol shrimp, peppermint shrimp.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back