Possible Anemone Cipro Overdose?

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

This weekend I picked up a beautiful neon green Haddoni carpet. As with all of my carpets, I immediately placed it in QT and started Cipro treatment. The nem looked quite healthy at first, but quickly started to decline once Cipro was added to the water. I have done a 100% water changes each day since I got it. Because it has been getting worse, I decided to review the protocol and noticed that I was dosing way more than I was supposed to. It is supposed to be 250mg for 10 gallons, but I was dosing ~250mg for ~4gallons. Did I just deliver a death sentence? I did a 100% water change before leaving for work this morning, but did not dose Cipro. I will do another water change and dose with the appropriate amount of Cipro tonight if it is advised. Please let me know what I should do. @OrionN any thoughts?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro can be toxic to anemone. The best you can do is to remove the cipro and hope for the best. I would not dose Cipro and see how he does with out it.

OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. That was my thought and the reason I did not dose this morning when I changed the water. He seemed to close his mouth quite a bit in just 30 minutes after the water change this morning, so there is some hope. I will see how it looks after work this evening.

OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it is already doing better. I can't see it's mouth in the live feed, but it is currently inflated and looking better.

OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Picture I just took from the Wyze camera. Not the greatest quality, but the nem seems to be doing better without the Cipro. How long do you think I should leave it in the QT system and should I restart the Cipro (at correct concentration)?

2CAA8E8E5471_1614101473468.jpg

OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Haddoni has never deflated, though it's mouth has never closed nice and tight either. I left it in the QT for several days after the Cipro mishap and did daily 100% water changes using water from the DT. Because it never deflated and seemed to improve a bit each day, I decided to move it to the DT today. I dug a hole in the sand at the base of a rock where I would like the nem to be, placed it in the hole and buried the foot. After a short wait, I turned the flow back on and the nem has not moved yet and seems pretty content in that spot.

On another note, My Clarkii clowns dove into the nem almost immediately! The female barely leaves it, just lays in it most of the time without moving hardly at all. She won't allow the male to get in with her, but he does get to lay on the skirts or under/in a fold. The mouth is still open more than I would like, so I will continue to watch it closely. The mouth has closed a bit more than shown in the picture.

20210226_101332.jpg

OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized that I never updated this thread. The nem has completely recovered and is doing amazing. It has grown several inches even without feeding it. you can clearly see it in the back of the picture. The clowns just go from one to the other as they see fit.

20210423_120918.jpg

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it’s doing better. IME Haddonis don’t do well with cipro, definitely not at the same doses that Ritteris will tolerate. I do 1/4th the dose, and I never do so except as a last resort (ie. spitting guts out...it’s worked tho in that case). I’ve only needed to treat one out of a half dozen ever, whereas every Ritteri needs it IME.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back