Possible Brooklynella outbreak

Fishrocker1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Can anyone ID this if it is in fact Brooklynella. My clownfish is breathing heavy and has abruptly stopped eating. She appears to have a flaky like substance slowly building up around her and her orange color is now significantly less vibrant. She has been in qt with copper power for almost a week now and no issue until now. I also have a Swallowtail Angel who is showing similar symptoms including cloudy eyes, fin rot, and refusing to eat. I thought I might have been dealing with ich initially but I might have mistook it for Brooklynella.

Attachments

• IMG_5226.MOV
    33 MB
  • IMG_5223.MOV
    18 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The angelfish is much sicker than the clownfish. The clown does seem to have Brooklynella.
What is the copper power concentration?
Unfortunately, the big drawback with copper is that it does not treat brooklynella…..
Jay

OP
OP
Fishrocker1

Fishrocker1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The angelfish is much sicker than the clownfish. The clown does seem to have Brooklynella.
What is the copper power concentration?
Unfortunately, the big drawback with copper is that it does not treat brooklynella…..
Jay
Thank you for the response. The copper power has been held steady at 2.5ppm for about a week now. The swallowtail took a noticeable decline in health Saturday night and the clownfish I noticed didn’t look great either this morning. I believe it would Brooklynella because copper seems to have no effect. I now have in my possession Rally Pro. I plan on freshwater dipping the two fish and doing a large water change to switch to the Rally Pro instead of copper. Any thoughts on this?

OP
OP
Fishrocker1

Fishrocker1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also mention I picked up seachem kanaplex and focus from my lfs to ensure I can prevent further bacterial or fungal infections from my (healthy) fish also in qt. I've also added carbon in the qt to try to absorb some of the copper while my water change water is heating.

OP
OP
Fishrocker1

Fishrocker1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good god a big development! Decided to fresh water dip the angel just to see if I could help alleviate her pain anyway I could and out came a ton of flukes from her gills.

Attachments

• CB07F6F1-C443-410E-832F-482398D13093.jpeg
    CB07F6F1-C443-410E-832F-482398D13093.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5227.MOV
    28.7 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response. The copper power has been held steady at 2.5ppm for about a week now. The swallowtail took a noticeable decline in health Saturday night and the clownfish I noticed didn’t look great either this morning. I believe it would Brooklynella because copper seems to have no effect. I now have in my possession Rally Pro. I plan on freshwater dipping the two fish and doing a large water change to switch to the Rally Pro instead of copper. Any thoughts on this?
That would be the best course unless you have formalin. However, I’m really worried about that angel. FW dips can buy some time with Brook, but it can also just outright kill weakened fish (but those will likely soon die any way).
Jay

OP
OP
Fishrocker1

Fishrocker1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be the best course unless you have formalin. However, I’m really worried about that angel. FW dips can buy some time with Brook, but it can also just outright kill weakened fish (but those will likely soon die any way).
Jay
As of right now she is still swimming in the qt after her FWD. I am now preparing for the clownfish to do the same and I will then do a heavy water change using rally pro

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of right now she is still swimming in the qt after her FWD. I am now preparing for the clownfish to do the same and I will then do a heavy water change using rally pro
I just saw your post before mine. Those are Neobenedenia flukes. They can cause secondary bacterial infections and also, when that many drop off the fish at once, the fish can actually bleed out and die.
The best treatment for these is half salinity for 30 days.
Jay

OP
OP
Fishrocker1

Fishrocker1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw your post before mine. Those are Neobenedenia flukes. They can cause secondary bacterial infections and also, when that many drop off the fish at once, the fish can actually bleed out and die.
Jay
Ok thanks

OP
OP
Fishrocker1

Fishrocker1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Well she hasn’t been bleeding from what I can see at least not yet. I will be gradually removing water from the display tank and allow my ato to replace with RODI to drop the salinity.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well she hasn’t been bleeding from what I can see at least not yet. I will be gradually removing water from the display tank and allow my ato to replace with RODI to drop the salinity.
You won’t see the blood, the fish will just become anemic, the gills will be pink instead of dark red.
Jay

OP
OP
Fishrocker1

Fishrocker1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won’t see the blood, the fish will just become anemic, the gills will be pink instead of dark red.
Jay
Update,

Over the course of an hour and a half or so last night I slowly removed water from the qt tank and allowed my ato to progressively drop the salinity to around 16ppt and I also used the rally pro. I woke up this morning and the angel is still alive and looks less distressed. However, do to the lack of copper it now appears my other clown has contracted ich. I’m not too concerned with this. I plan on dropping the salinity even further to 1.009 which should combat the ich as well as the flukes. Any thoughts on this?

Attachments

• IMG_5230.MOV
    9.5 MB
  • IMG_5229.MOV
    16.5 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, dropping to 1,009 will treat both Neobenedenia and ich, so that is what you need to do with mixed infections.
Jay

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update,

Over the course of an hour and a half or so last night I slowly removed water from the qt tank and allowed my ato to progressively drop the salinity to around 16ppt and I also used the rally pro. I woke up this morning and the angel is still alive and looks less distressed. However, do to the lack of copper it now appears my other clown has contracted ich. I’m not too concerned with this. I plan on dropping the salinity even further to 1.009 which should combat the ich as well as the flukes. Any thoughts on this?
Stay the course, Rally will help alleviate symptoms and buy you some time. Ich is a slow killer so dont fret about the ich. Getting the salinity down as fast as you safely can is best course.

OP
OP
Fishrocker1

Fishrocker1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. While I do believe I've been dealing with a rather crazy cocktail of fish diseases and parasites, I do believe I'm now on the right path of getting them back to health. Was losing my mind for a while there lol. I'll keep the thread updated and post any improvements or any further complications.

OP
OP
Fishrocker1

Fishrocker1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, dropping to 1,009 will treat both Neobenedenia and ich, so that is what you need to do with mixed infections.
Jay
Chloroquine phosphate is my go to for treatment.
Hey guys,

An unfortunate update. So I've been keeping the salinity in the QT at 1.009 and dosing Rally Pro every night for the past 4 days. Unfortunately, I've lost my Foxface and two other clowns all of which had been showing signs of Brook. It seems Rally pro hasn't helped at all maybe giving the fish a little more time. I also treated with Seachem Kanaplex to treat secondary infections to no avail. I'm truly stumped as I have heard Rally pro was a good option to treat both Brook and infections. It seems the angel has also continued to deteriorate I'll be it much slower than it did before. What's even more perplexing is that throughout all this my Cardinals seem completely unphased. These two cardinals survived my original fishkill in my display tank so I'm beginning to think they have some sort of immunity to what ever is killing my fish. I'm thinking about treating future fish with chloroquine phosphate as I have heard stellar things about it treating a wide variety of fish diseases. Any further insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• Swallowtail Angel.MOV
    18.5 MB
  • Cardinals.MOV
    6.3 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

An unfortunate update. So I've been keeping the salinity in the QT at 1.009 and dosing Rally Pro every night for the past 4 days. Unfortunately, I've lost my Foxface and two other clowns all of which had been showing signs of Brook. It seems Rally pro hasn't helped at all maybe giving the fish a little more time. I also treated with Seachem Kanaplex to treat secondary infections to no avail. I'm truly stumped as I have heard Rally pro was a good option to treat both Brook and infections. It seems the angel has also continued to deteriorate I'll be it much slower than it did before. What's even more perplexing is that throughout all this my Cardinals seem completely unphased. These two cardinals survived my original fishkill in my display tank so I'm beginning to think they have some sort of immunity to what ever is killing my fish. I'm thinking about treating future fish with chloroquine phosphate as I have heard stellar things about it treating a wide variety of fish diseases. Any further insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Ugh, sorry to hear. I’m driving today and tomorrow and can’t see the videos on my phone, hopefully somebody else can chime in.
Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back