Powder blue eating Torch?!?!

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

just got a new torch coral and my fat powder blue tang is nipping at the tentacles and breaking small pieces off?!?!

I have a few other hammers and torches that he leaves alone, but not this new piece?

I know he’s not hungry and he is about 3/4” thick.

Should I try moving the coral to another spot? Give it time?

It’s only 2 heads so I’m worried he’ll destroy it before he leaves it alone! What gives?

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, once they get a taste for coral, they don’t go back. I had a hippo tang that got a taste for coral. It killed a nice elegance coral that I had. Ate it. And then started going for a frogspawn. I had to trade the tang back in to the LFS, but I didn’t admit why. I’d get rid of that coral soon and hope the tang doesn’t look elsewhere. Otherwise, you may have have to trade in the tang or keep SPS only....

But I would try to change that bad habit quickly. Hopefully yours can be retrained to not like LPS coral.

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, once they get a taste for coral, they don’t go back. I had a hippo tang that got a taste for coral. It killed a nice elegance coral that I had. Ate it. And then started going for a frogspawn. I had to trade the tang back in to the LFS, but I didn’t admit why. I’d get rid of that coral soon and hope the tang doesn’t look elsewhere. Otherwise, you may have have to trade in the tang or keep SPS only....
I had the same experience with my hippo tang. Nipped my torches and Duncan. Also chopped up my ricordea. Sucks, he was quarantined for 2 months. He promptly went back to the LFS.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.1%
Back