Power outage here in CA. Police ask me to turn off my generator!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you had a certain design aspect in your tank biologically that aligned it better for success than what others might have in tow-low to no sandbed. If you had a normal DSB, your tank might not could have lasted and still rebounded. a few hours is nbd, if it turned into longer then it matters

nobody can predict the actual breakpoint time, but there are industries that measure this delicately and have a lot of data on conversion times etc between oxygenated and crashed systems

People think this is trivial, the common sandbed, but if you've ever seen biological oxygen demand testing (such as what would be used in wastewater industries) in person then we know that organic sludge (detritus) and + aerobic oxygen consuming bacteria make a massive difference in any aquatic (or marine) system in terms of length of time the ecosystem can run before crash when stillness kicks in

I noticed you have a very clean, low detritus, high flow-through design and that held your oxygen much longer than the other condition. Any tank in an outage prone area needs to have this design basis you have. no sandbeds in cali until things stabilize
B

eea60123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear. I run mine off a generator when my power goes off, but I’m in the middle of nowhere. Smoke would scare me, I’ve seen it kill a tank even with carbon. Good luck with everything and hope your power stays on.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, he said I will be receiving a citation.

Sucks you got a jerk who didn't know the law(unless you live in some sort of HOA) should have just left it running,took the ticket, and beat him in court/sue for lost wages court fees since im 99 percent sure your county doesn't have an 8pm noise ordinance. Cops like this bug me. Glad everything worked out in the long run.

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about 99% ready to start up my first take a few months ago but had to move which kind of stopped that, and boy I'm glad I did. I've been affected by the last two PG&E PSPS's, power just came on a few hours ago and they're planning another shut off in the morning. As someone without a generator, I'm stressed just thinking about what the scenario would have been like.

Sadly I think we may have to accept this as the new normal (PG&E should be nationalized ASAP) for this time of year.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news! Power just came back on about a minute ago. I truly appreciate all of you for all the comments and love!!!
I am ready for a beer

1572307290990..jpg
Guess I'm lucky I had my generator going till 4 in the morning back on at 9 neighbors didn't say anything

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My neighbor was running his jobsite generator in his carport which is 6 feet from my wall all day and into the night. I have no complaints about running it from 8am to 10pm, but when it gets late that's unacceptable except for if it's powering life saving equipment in my opinion. It sounded like it was in my house! I empathize with both you and your neighbor in the situation, this is not easy for anyone.. especially when people 1 street over aren't losing power at all, haha.

OP
OP
Leicobra

Leicobra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I wish there is a company out there who makes a reef tank emergency kit. A few times I just wanted to give up trying to save the tank. Mentally and physically exhausted! My apex emailed me first hand when it had happened. Thankful to have a tank monitor!!
In the future it's also a good idea to have a battery air pump and some heat pads in a Ziploc bag on hand at all times. Looking back, it's scary to think that my tank was down for more than 26 hours.

Ryan Turner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was about 99% ready to start up my first take a few months ago but had to move which kind of stopped that, and boy I'm glad I did. I've been affected by the last two PG&E PSPS's, power just came on a few hours ago and they're planning another shut off in the morning. As someone without a generator, I'm stressed just thinking about what the scenario would have been like.

Sadly I think we may have to accept this as the new normal (PG&E should be nationalized ASAP) for this time of year.
im in the same boat. I have been off for 4 days this week and 2 last week. definitely wasnt ready and crashed my tank. lost it all. They already said next summer will be worse so make sure you buy a generator.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When superstorm sandy hit here in NJ I ran my generator for 11 days straight. I would take the fine if worse comes to worse That is crazy. I would say need it for refrigerator for medication.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first off prayers for you folks....
Anyway I see the pictures of the LA area and I've always wondered what grows there naturally and what would that area look like naturally anyway? I'm sure those burning eucalyptus and date palms aren't native... Anyone from there have a clue if this fire is a naturally recurring thing or is this a man made issue?

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Animal cruelty is a crime and was just passed at the federal level in addition to state levels already. Condemning fish to die so your neighbors can sleep is truly sick.
Crime usually requires intent. None here. That being said it is ridiculous that municipal governments will try to tell you as a private citizen what you can and can’t do to protect your valuables and goods and pets. Clearly these people don’t get it

Nano man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are in a condo then you are really inconveniencing the neighbors. Your best bet is talk to your neighbors and explain the situation. This is only practical if we are talking about a few people. If there are hundreds within ear shot of your generator then the nights will be long and full of terror.
GOT forever Holmes!!!!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back