Powerhead for IM 200 EXT

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to plan for my upcoming build next year. I'm planning on getting an Innovative Marine 200 EXT. The dimensions remind me of a large lagoon tank, 70.9" x 30" x 21.7", and the glass thickness is 3/4".

The issue that I'm having is deciding on powerheads for a mixed tank, LPS heavy. I've only ever used budget equipment, so I don't have the money or experience where I can afford buying multiple high end pieces of gear. This is a buy once, cry once project.

I've done a lot of research into the MP line. Unfortunately the MP10s' magnets are too weak to stay on the 3/4" glass. I'm afraid the MP40s will suck a vortex from the surface or disturb the 2" sandbed, which is a must for sand dwelling livestock I have planned. The tank is not deep compared to others with a similar footprint. I'm a huge fan of the MP having the dryside and cord outside the tank. The Limpet Wide Flow Guard from Neat Aquatics could be an option, but at that point its becoming quite expensive when considering I'd need 4 MP40s for this tank.

Thoughts?

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was making the decision:

4 x MP40 = $1464
or
4 x Jebao SCP-180 gyres = $640

I would probably go with the Jebaos if budget was an issue. For me, if placing MP40s on the side, the cord factor is no longer an advantage. You are going to either see it on the outside, or see it on the inside with another pump. Back wall is a different story. Is $824 worth no cords in the tank? I'd also favor the Jebaos or other gyre in a tank that size due to the width of flow you get out of those pumps. Gyres are like getting two pumps for one.

Hundred ways to go about this.

OP
OP
Operator Wrasse

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was making the decision:

4 x MP40 = $1464
or
4 x Jebao SCP-180 gyres = $640

I would probably go with the Jebaos if budget was an issue. For me, if placing MP40s on the side, the cord factor is no longer an advantage. You are going to either see it on the outside, or see it on the inside with another pump. Back wall is a different story. Is $824 worth no cords in the tank? I'd also favor the Jebaos or other gyre in a tank that size due to the width of flow you get out of those pumps. Gyres are like getting two pumps for one.

Hundred ways to go about this.
Budget will only be an issue if I have to sell multiple pieces of like-new equipment in order to perfect flow in the tank. I'd rather learn from an expert what I need and get it now rather than go through the experimentation myself.

On that note, I love the idea of the different flow patterns the MP series provide. I just don't know if the IM 200 will be deep enough to prevent an air vortex or a highly disturbed sandbed. Also, monthly maintenance is a turnoff for me for any sort of gyre. This tank will be heavily automated so I can spend prolonged periods of time with minimal maintenance.

BigGuyLeo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 200 ext also and have 4 mp40 in back. like you, I didn‘t like the sand blowing around too. Found this post, did you ever figure out a solution?

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 200 ext also and have 4 mp40 in back. like you, I didn‘t like the sand blowing around too. Found this post, did you ever figure out a solution?

Do you have problems with the mp 40s staying attached to the back wall? I used the thinnest spacer for the mp40 that say 1/2” glass or larger and it likes to separate when I enter feed mode

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have problems with the mp 40s staying attached to the back wall? I used the thinnest spacer for the mp40 that say 1/2” glass or larger and it likes to separate when I enter feed mode

I cannot speak regarding the back wall, but there is no spacer used on my MP40 on my IM 100EXT (mounted on side).

Back