OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not suggesting that going cheap is better, just go cheap for now and buy the Ferrari when it is available. As an added bonus you will have the cheap one as a backup for when the Ferrari throws a rod through the block.
I already have Jeabo , I’m just waiting for that Nero 5 lol

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's your bank account, not mine. Who am I to judge? If you can afford it then by all means do it.. BTW, are you looking to adopt?
I’m not rich by any means, I’ve saved up enough for me to get something nice. I want everything in my only tank to be premium and esthetically pleasing

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy jebao and spend twice the price of a nero replacing them every 3 months! The one and only jebao gyre I ever bought to use in my brute to mix salt worked for 1 batch of water then never worked again! Don’t expect a champagne tank on an old milwaukee budget!
I cannot speak to your use ect, BUT people use the jebao slw10,20,and 30 to mix kalk slurry which is one of the hardest environments a pump could be subjected to.
!
I run 2 dcp20000 returns
1 dcp10000 (skimmer)
4 mcd10000 (closed loop)
2 slw20 ( sw mixing bin)
2 sow 20
2 sw20
1 cp40 gyre, ( 1 died after 5 years)
1 scp120 gyres ( new replacement.
Now these have all been running from 1-5 years without issue! In that same time I've known MANY people who have had to replace both wet and dry sides multiple times.
Just because you had a bad experience with a single powerhead using it in a less then optimal way, means very little compared to the thousands of others having great success!

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have Jeabo , I’m just waiting for that Nero 5 lol
I understand, you may want to look at the newest version of the slw20 or slw30.
I believe it's either mow20 or mlw20, has both wifi app and digital display screen controller.
Otherwise the slw20m has the older style controller with app. Very similar to the nero

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the OP, if you go cheap don’t expect sustained good results. Sometimes people buy the cheap chinese knock off stuff and get decent results but seems those are few and far between! I run 2 nero 5’s and 2 icecap 4k gyres in my 120 and a nero 3 in my evo and could not be happier with all of them!
Lol i am happy to compare results with my cheap wavemakers(and lights and return pumps) anyday.

This crazy though that you have to have a spend several hundred dollars on wavemakers for "good results" is funny. Wasnt that long ago many of us did just fine without even having the many fancy pumps we have today.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I am too far down the EcoTech rabbit hole, With 6 pumps, spare wet sides for all of them that I swap and clean monthly, plus with a euro-brace tank I don't want cords period.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy jebao and spend twice the price of a nero replacing them every 3 months! The one and only jebao gyre I ever bought to use in my brute to mix salt worked for 1 batch of water then never worked again! Don’t expect a champagne tank on an old milwaukee budget!
This is quit ironic to me only because I find the complete opposite Just search problem with Say MP40 and Jabeo I find 10 times more complaints with MP40. I even somewhat did what you said and bought a spare jabeo just in case and the brand new box is still sitting in my closet as the original is still going strong for 3 years. AND I have a junk drawer of MP40's. However, to be fair I did not own a Tunze though

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck yes brother! Is that budget better than a steel reserve budget, and just below natural

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is quit ironic to me only because I find the complete opposite Just search problem with Say MP40 and Jabeo I find 10 times more complaints with MP40. I even somewhat did what you said and bought a spare jabeo just in case and the brand new box is still sitting in my closet as the original is still going strong for 3 years. AND I have a junk drawer of MP40's. However, to be fair I did not own a Tunze though
I think the complaints that you mention might have a lot to do with perception.

Someone that buys a cheap pump (I didn't say bad) is less likely to complain when it fails because it did not let them down. It met the user's expectations. They feel as though they got what they paid for.

Someone that buys an expensive pump (I didn't say good) is more likely to complain. When it falls because it did let them down. It did not meet the user's expectations. They feel as though they did not get what they paid for.

There are plenty of people on both sides with the opposite experiences where everything is great.

That being said. Let's get real. Most of those happy people where everything is great have Tunze pumps. ;)

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not rich by any means, I’ve saved up enough for me to get something nice. I want everything in my only tank to be premium and esthetically pleasing
Your doing it right, and what I mean by that is like myself, I buy and do things for my tank the way I want. With that said I have 3 Jebao "wavemakers" that have been running for 3 to 5 years with no problems. There are only about 4 inches or so of cords in the water which are minimally visible and the corals and fish don't seem to mind the cords and flow from the $60 Jebao's. Ultimately I always tell people to buy and do things the way YOU want since it doesn't matter what other people think.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Someone that buys a cheap pump (I didn't say bad) is less likely to complain when it fails because it did not let them down. It met the user's expectations. They feel as though they got what they paid for.

Someone that buys an expensive pump (I didn't say good) is more likely to complain. When it falls because it did let them down. It did not meet the user's expectations. They feel as though they did not get what they paid for.

There are plenty of people on both sides with the opposite experiences where everything is great.

That being said. Let's get real. Most of those happy people where everything is great have Tunze pumps. ;)
Makes sense! And like I mentioned I never had tumor pumps. I did look at them and sound good. I considered the big one but was difficult in my tank to place. But like I said “ for me” haven’t had a problem for 3 years maybe consider rinse when and if goes goes

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh geesh not Tunze!! Joking I actually like Tunze. Back when the only discount pumps were mostly the hydor koralias that pumped backwards half of the time thee Tunze were my powehead of choice

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense! And like I mentioned I never had tumor pumps. I did look at them and sound good. I considered the big one but was difficult in my tank to place. But like I said “ for me” haven’t had a problem for 3 years maybe consider rinse when and if goes goes
I added that last bit just for you.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the OP though. They just want the pump they want to be back in stock.

They chose it because it fit them and their desires.

I don't think anyone can argue this is a very personal hobby.

Equipment or livestock, we want what we want.

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If another company could come up with a power head that doesn’t require any cords in the tank I bet ecotech would drop their prices!
My question is, are the Ecotech's really worth the price tag? I feel the OP's pain, I'm on a nano 20 gal build right now, the added cost of high end products doesn't bother me as much as are they worth it. Nero 3's, Jebao MLW10s, all of these are close to what they do.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is, are the Ecotech's really worth the price tag? I feel the OP's pain, I'm on a nano 20 gal build right now, the added cost of high end products doesn't bother me as much as are they worth it. Nero 3's, Jebao MLW10s, all of these are close to what they do.
No they are not worth the price tag but everyones free to buy what they want. Really in the simplest terms all we are talking about is a device that pushes water around.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back