Powerhead shortage ??

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the complaints that you mention might have a lot to do with perception.

Someone that buys a cheap pump (I didn't say bad) is less likely to complain when it fails because it did not let them down. It met the user's expectations. They feel as though they got what they paid for.

Someone that buys an expensive pump (I didn't say good) is more likely to complain. When it falls because it did let them down. It did not meet the user's expectations. They feel as though they did not get what they paid for.

There are plenty of people on both sides with the opposite experiences where everything is great.

That being said. Let's get real. Most of those happy people where everything is great have Tunze pumps. ;)
Absolutely agree!

Accept for my tunze skimmer I took apart to clean and can get back together correctly.....

Attachments

• 16463421878467618270244964837276.jpg
    16463421878467618270244964837276.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 29

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they are not worth the price tag but everyones free to buy what they want. Really in the simplest terms all we are talking about is a device that pushes water around.
It is just a water mover, but is there actually anything else almost exactly like it on the market today?..........

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.p hold out for the nero, it can't be to long b4 its back it stock..I have two 3's and they are sweet, with good app to use and come with fish guard. Good product IMO

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nero 5s are just fine, no way I can justify 400 bucks for a freakin' powerhead.
I want a Nero 3 for my up and coming 20 gal Cube AIO, out of stock everywhere. Not that I have a problem with an MP10, there's no way I'll drop the cash, I can buy a dozen cheaper powerheads that may last a year, then throw em away, but what happens to that 400$ pump when it's out of warranty ?

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends where you’re looking. My LFS has quite a few Nero’s but they’re thin on vortechs although they may not have stocked them yet since they just got an order

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a Nero 3 for my up and coming 20 gal Cube AIO, out of stock everywhere. Not that I have a problem with an MP10, there's no way I'll drop the cash, I can buy a dozen cheaper powerheads that may last a year, then throw em away, but what happens to that 400$ pump when it's out of warranty ?
Dont get me wrong, the MP's are nice, and the whole "No wires in the tank" thing is great...but for a tank my size, having four of those is going to be over $1600... when I could get four Nero 5s for half that; and I can run them off an app...

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends where you’re looking. My LFS has quite a few Nero’s but they’re thin on vortechs although they may not have stocked them yet since they just got an order
My LFS has 3's, but there's no way I'm paying $250 bux for a Nero 3. I'm all for supporting the local lil guy. But not at these mark up prices.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently watched an hour and a half long video of brs doing the deep dig into the chinese black box lights. They put them through all the same tests as they do the expensive brands that they sell. Then they opened up the shells to show what is inside and I must say it’s pretty scary. Only 2 of the 4 boxes were assembled with CE rated electrical components. The viparspectra out performed the other 3 brands but had to be mounted 18-24 inches above the tank to achieve the same spread as say an ai prime at 8 inches! Then they opened up an ai prime to show the quality parts that are used and the care taken to route and seal it all up. If these lights are any indication as to the quality of the knock off powerheads I will stick to the quality name brand stuff. Don’t need to electrocute my tank or burn my house down because some one half done a caulking job!

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for as close to mp40 but wire in tank as you can get for now. Rumor is the patent on the wet/dry sides is about to run out though....
mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is just a water mover, but is there actually anything else almost exactly like it on the market today?..........

If we are talking flow or effectiveness I would argue there are many options similar(and cheaper) and some that are better. Most dont need frequent replacements of a key part (the wetside). If you are referring to no wires in the tank then nothing that I know of in the market as a reasonable alternative.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently watched an hour and a half long video of brs doing the deep dig into the chinese black box lights. They put them through all the same tests as they do the expensive brands that they sell. Then they opened up the shells to show what is inside and I must say it’s pretty scary. Only 2 of the 4 boxes were assembled with CE rated electrical components. The viparspectra out performed the other 3 brands but had to be mounted 18-24 inches above the tank to achieve the same spread as say an ai prime at 8 inches! Then they opened up an ai prime to show the quality parts that are used and the care taken to route and seal it all up. If these lights are any indication as to the quality of the knock off powerheads I will stick to the quality name brand stuff. Don’t need to electrocute my tank or burn my house down because some one half done a caulking job!
There's people who claim name brand lights have caught fire too, and so far as I can remember nobody has actually been able to say their black box lights really caught fire let alone burned down their house. Kinda a reefers myth.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Companies pay for the testing to get those CE and UL labels. It is not a measure of quality. Only an added cost to the end user.
I get that it makes people feel good, but it comes at at cost and does not make one product higher quality or safer than another.
The cheap black box is cheap partly for these reasons. The expensive products cost more partly for the same reason.

There are definatly some shady products out there but I wouldn't use a purchased endorsement label as my measuring stick.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's people who claim name brand lights have caught fire too, and so far as I can remember nobody has actually been able to say their black box lights really caught fire let alone burned down their house. Kinda a reefers myth.

Haha I got a blackbox I bought used a decade ago going strong. I kind of wish it would burn up so I could justify a modern blackbox with more controllability :)

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we are talking flow or effectiveness I would argue there are many options similar(and cheaper) and some that are better. Most dont need frequent replacements of a key part (the wetside). If you are referring to no wires in the tank then nothing that I know of in the market as a reasonable alternative.
That patent is supposedly almost expired so the outside wire tech will be used by others soon as well

Reefin’ Rumors

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where’s all the power heads? Can’t find a new single Nero 3 or 5 anywhere. MP40 is up $30 when it’s already ridiculous enough to pay $400 for it.
I know a place that has 3 nero 3’s and 1 Nero 5...frog prince water gardens...grants pass...maybe they are willing to ship? And they will match online prices.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back