Powerheads and Profilux 4 Compatibility

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a P4 controller and looking to upgrade my Koralia powerheads. Are there any particular brands that sync directly with the P4 or do you need to run them off an outlet and their own controller?

I was thinking about either Ecotech MP10s or Tunze powerheads...

ispookie666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have on each side of the tank -Tunze 3 and 6100 liked via Tunze Y adaptor and cable to the Tunze controller, which in turn links to my Profikux 3.

You would need to change the voltage range to 3 - 8V. Older tunze pumps can stall below 3V except Tunze stream 3, which has worked for me down to 1V.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have on each side of the tank -Tunze 3 and 6100 liked via Tunze Y adaptor and cable to the Tunze controller, which in turn links to my Profikux 3.

You would need to change the voltage range to 3 - 8V. Older tunze pumps can stall below 3V except Tunze stream 3, which has worked for me down to 1V.

Echotech Mp10 and Mp40 and Mp60 will work with the:
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/products/pump-controller/vortech-controller/

And @ispookie666 did a great job on explaining the tunze controlling them on the 1-10v connection, which will utilize stream groups.
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/profilux-4-making-waves/

Thank you both for responding! It looks like i definitely have options with both powerheads... now to figure out which ones to get!!!

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go tunze. I’ve got all evotech but I’m replacing them with tunze as they fail. Both are great pumps but tunze ph just don’t fail nearly as often as ecotech.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go tunze. I’ve got all evotech but I’m replacing them with tunze as they fail. Both are great pumps but tunze ph just don’t fail nearly as often as ecotech.

Which Tunze powerheads would you recommend for a 75g tank?

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say. Each tank is different. I’m a mixed reef with sps up higher on the rock work and lps on the sand. The tank is also 600 gallons so I’m using the 6255. Initially the tank had 60,000 gph max flow rate and everything does fine. I’m pretty sure that I’ll be adding more flow in the future, one thing to consider is the type of flow and placement.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say. Each tank is different. I’m a mixed reef with sps up higher on the rock work and lps on the sand. The tank is also 600 gallons so I’m using the 6255. Initially the tank had 60,000 gph max flow rate and everything does fine. I’m pretty sure that I’ll be adding more flow in the future, one thing to consider is the type of flow and placement.
Im just starting to add a few LPS to the tank... eventually going to SPS...so I want to plan to the future. I can't imagine having a 600g tank...my goal was to upgrade to a 180g, lol.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6045 for AC plugin/non-controllable.
6055 for 0-10v controllable medium flow
6095 for 0-10v controllable high flow
Thanks Marco! I'll research these a little more... definitely want the controllable powerheads, though.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ussed both solutions one of my tank was with Mp40 and Mp60’s 6ft tank and the other tank is now Tunze 6095 and 6055 with random flows on the output.

The 6095 is noisy compared to the Mp40 and MP60 at low levels (I actually hear it without any issues) the 6055 dead silent and quieter then the MP40 or MP60.

As for options you have a few more options with the VorTech Controller more time intervals and different flows (up to 12) (example noon to 3 I want lagoon and from 3-6 I want nutrient and so forth) . For the stream groups you do not have that many options(but a future release they said will allow us to have more). I have 4 tunze pumps in two stream groups on 6 hour intervals each where it will go pump 1 random as pump 2 is constant and reverse. I have the opposite going on the othet two pump, with night mode, thunderstorm and last feed mode.

Both options work great you can not go wrong with either option.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ussed both solutions one of my tank was with Mp40 and Mp60’s 6ft tank and the other tank is now Tunze 6095 and 6055 with random flows on the output.

The 6095 is noisy compared to the Mp40 and MP60 at low levels (I actually hear it without any issues) the 6055 dead silent and quieter then the MP40 or MP60.

As for options you have a few more options with the VorTech Controller more time intervals and different flows (up to 12) (example noon to 3 I want lagoon and from 3-6 I want nutrient and so forth) . For the stream groups you do not have that many options(but a future release they said will allow us to have more). I have 4 tunze pumps in two stream groups on 6 hour intervals each where it will go pump 1 random as pump 2 is constant and reverse. I have the opposite going on the othet two pump, with night mode, thunderstorm and last feed mode.

Both options work great you can not go wrong with either option.

I did some research and really like the Tunze line or products... I'm leaning toward two Nanostream 6095 pumps (allows to use in the future on a tank upgrade). What exactly is needed to connect them together and use them with the Profilux 4? Their website also lists a SmartController 7000...but is this required if using the P4? I really hate making a purchase and then finding out I needed several other "parts" to get things to function properly!

And, are you able to program them to tone-down at night time to reduce flow?

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 7000 is used if you do not have a P4 :)

You can control two tunze pumps per L1 (1-10v) port.

To do this you need a Tunze 1 and a Tunze 2 cable.

Tunze 1 cable:
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/profiluxtunze1/

Tunze 2 cable:
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/profiluxtunze2/

Then the cable that splits the 1-10v port into two connections:
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/yl2-1/

Yes you have a night mode, a feed mode, thunderstorm mode also :).

You assign them to stream groups and control them, below is a quick screen shot from the GCC mobile app.

FFE7829F-BA6D-4FE7-B996-35CD35FCE30E.png 45B82B1C-2F86-4C5C-9A72-C2AF5F467D30.png

A great explanation of stream groups here and the functions:

You can also get creative with illumination channels shown on this thread:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/gyre-programming-question.507010/#post-5380490

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 7000 is used if you do not have a P4 :)

You can control two tunze pumps per L1 (1-10v) port.

To do this you need a Tunze 1 and a Tunze 2 cable.

Tunze 1 cable:
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/profiluxtunze1/

Tunze 2 cable:
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/profiluxtunze2/

Then the cable that splits the 1-10v port into two connections:
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/yl2-1/

Yes you have a night mode, a feed mode, thunderstorm mode also :).

You assign them to stream groups and control them, below is a quick screen shot from the GCC mobile app.

FFE7829F-BA6D-4FE7-B996-35CD35FCE30E.png 45B82B1C-2F86-4C5C-9A72-C2AF5F467D30.png

A great explanation of stream groups here and the functions:

You can also get creative with illumination channels shown on this thread:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/gyre-programming-question.507010/#post-5380490
Thank you so much! Very informative. I think I'll go with the Tunze... German engineering is usually well thought out and functionally smart... one of the biggest reasons I went with the P4 in the first place! The Tunze website also has videos showing the flow and turbulence of their powerheads compared to "their competition" which was obviously ecotech by the cordless design.

So, if you use the P4 to control the tunze pumps, do you not use the small controller that comes with each pump?

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! Very informative. I think I'll go with the Tunze... German engineering is usually well thought out and functionally smart... one of the biggest reasons I went with the P4 in the first place! The Tunze website also has videos showing the flow and turbulence of their powerheads compared to "their competition" which was obviously ecotech by the cordless design.

So, if you use the P4 to control the tunze pumps, do you not use the small controller that comes with each pump?
The controller on the pump is hardwired, but has aux inputs. you change the mode on the included controller to external input. :)

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be happy with the Tunze pumps! I have a 6095 and 2 6105s. They are simple and built well! The 6095 is a good size! The 6105s are quite a bit bigger.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone assist with hooking my Tunze 6105's up to my P4? I purchased the Tunze1 and Tunze2 cables, one for each Tunze pump, as well as the Y splitter. I connected all the cables, and plugged the splitter into the L1 port on the P4. But, I'm getting no power and no recognition in GCC that the pumps are there.

My pumps have these for inline controllers, which should work?
DSF_8898_tunze_stream_6105.jpg

Here are screenshots of how I set the pumps up according to the resource guide:

pump setup.JPG

And showing how they don't appear to assign them to a stream group:
stream group.JPG

Both power bricks have power for the pumps so they should be getting power but obviously, something isn't quite right. Any ideas?

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KJoFan - add the pump 1 and pump 2 to the group . If you look at the image above none are assigned to your group.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back