HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon FOWLR tank. I live in Hawaii so our laws are strict about pretty much everything about having a marine aquarium. So I won't ever be able to have anything but live rock.

Do I need powerheads in my fowlr tank?

I have a HOB filter and a canister filter both have strong output. I recently got a powerhead that I keep on, but when it is on my fish look like they are struggling to swim and they hide more. As soon as I turn it off they swim easily and are out not hiding. What should I do?

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon FOWLR tank. I live in Hawaii so our laws are strict about pretty much everything about having a marine aquarium. So I won't ever be able to have anything but live rock.

I have a HOB filter and a canister filter both have strong output. I recently got a powerhead that I keep on, but when it is on my fish look like they are struggling to swim and they hide more. As soon as I turn it off they swim easily and are out not hiding. What should I do?
Yes I would still put powerheads in the aquarium whether it's fish only or Coral tank you don't need super expensive high class high-end powerheads though you can get by with hydor brand.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Decrease flow. Why do you have a hob filter with the canister?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes to allow agitation especially the surface and overall movement to alleviate buildup of detritus

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave the powerhead you have in there on the fish aren't necessarily hiding due to the powerhead I don't think they will get used to the flow and be normal

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decrease flow. Why do you have a hob filter with the canister?

My tank was almost fully cycled when I got the canister filter so I wanted to get the canister to be ran for awhile before I take out the hob was my first reason, then after that I wasn't getting answers as far as should I run them both together or get rid of the marineland hob. I was getting mixed results some people said running them together would help keep the water clear, others were saying the canister others were saying the hob was better. So idk I just let them both run

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was almost fully cycled when I got the canister filter so I wanted to get the canister to be ran for awhile before I take out the hob was my first reason, then after that I wasn't getting answers as far as should I run them both together or get rid of the marineland hob. I was getting mixed results some people said running them together would help keep the water clear, others were saying the canister others were saying the hob was better. So idk I just let them both run
It's not necessary to have both of them as long as your canister filter is rated for the proper size of how big your tank is if your canister filter is rated for the size of tank you have you can get rid of the hang on back filter it could be true that having both of them would help to keep the water a little bit cleaner I'm just not sure how much or if it's worth running them both

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a canister no reason to have a hob unless it was a refugium. Take off the hob put a power head on and you should be good to go.
A cheaper quality is usa current eflux around a 100. I love mine

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not necessary to have both of them as long as your canister filter is rated for the proper size of how big your tank is if your canister filter is rated for the size of tank you have you can get rid of the hang on back filter it could be true that having both of them would help to keep the water a little bit cleaner I'm just not sure how much or if it's worth running them both
I run a canister no reason to have a hob unless it was a refugium. Take off the hob put a power head on and you should be good to go.
A cheaper quality is usa current eflux around a 100. I love mine

Okay thanks when I get off work ill take out the hob and leave the powerhead. My canister filter is rated up to 100 gallons so it should be enough for the tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back