Pre cycle rock

WilliamTideReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a new 220.6 Waterbox and waiting on delivery.

Question is can I start the cycle process on my Carib Sea rock in a bin with light, protein skimmer, powerhead and Dr Tim’s?

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can, you don't need the light or the skimmer, just rocks, saltwater, heat, flow and some bacteria and some amount of food for it.

I use the dr. Tim's ammonia and bottle bac to cycle things, works well, just go slow (dose half the ammo is from what the bottle says and test, most people report going way over in initial dose it seems).

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caribsea already has bac, see the site. Add water, 12 days you’re cycled.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**caveat

Im not sure anyone's bothered to clearly test that, which would be the easiest thing on the planet...same with bagged live sand.

but these are strong factors too: this is 2020 we're pretty advanced in the ability to do neat things with biology. bottle bac makers arent having trouble. fish in cycling has exploded, to the enjoyment of cryptocarion but they aren't having a bit of trouble with free ammonia.

if we can do all that, and some company who's been in the business 30 yrs says they've invented a purple bioshellac paint with bacteria, then Im not surprised.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do recall in one of our threads someone did a light experiment with liferocks and API, but like most API ammonia ventures it wasnt too clear...the outcome.

seneye + liferocks test? article gold. Seneye + caribsea wet bagged sand test? gold

api=guess.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No light, just flow and heat, bacteria starter, Food to feed, I don’t think you need to use the skimmer (Dr. Tims is good) I did something similar and added rock as well. It gets all that good bacteria nice and built up ready for that install. Just let everything sit in the dark and cycle.

I will admit I’m still in the old school train of thought where patience in this hobby is gold, so even with all the boosters (I also used Caribsea) I waited a few weeks before putting anything in the tank. I’ve read too many horror stories in the Tank Emergency forum where people rushed and things started dying or bad things started growing. I’m not saying thats what you are doing hopefully we’re all giving you good advice that’s why you’re on R2R:).

I’m looking forward to that new tank build thread! Congrats!

Birddog61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can. contrary to popular belief room temperature is fine no heater needed. Keep the water circulating and oxygenated . Avoid excess light no sense inviting algae. pick your poison to start bacteria cultures and feeding the bacteria
" i prefer skimate from a healthy system " as it will have a diversity of hedrotrophic , aerobic and anaerobic bacteria. Along with a disolved food source. one needs to be aware of what is in the skimmate. As small pests and micro algae can ride along. PS you will not find that quality skimmate at you lfs regardless of what thay tell you

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at doing a similar thing, but my new tank won't be ready until the new year. If I start this off, presumably I need to maintain a source of nutrients for the biological bacteria to grow and thrive off. So my question is, do I need to keep feeding (ammonium source and/or dissolved food source) and doing a weekly water change for the duration of the process until I am ready to add the rock to the new tank?

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally doing it right now. I pre built the rock structures with dry rock and Marco cement, let it cure 24hrs and stuck it in salt water with heater and pump. added microbacter7 as directed and dropping some dr Tim's ammonia to feed. by the time the tank is up in a month the rock is going to be cycled and GTG.

Heater
flow
ammonia to feed, maintain about 2ppm
check nitrates, if they get too high, do a water change and continue

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often are you adding
Literally doing it right now. I pre built the rock structures with dry rock and Marco cement, let it cure 24hrs and stuck it in salt water with heater and pump. added microbacter7 as directed and dropping some dr Tim's ammonia to feed. by the time the tank is up in a month the rock is going to be cycled and GTG.

Heater
flow
ammonia to feed, maintain about 2ppm
check nitrates, if they get too high, do a water change and continue
How often are you adding Dr Timms?

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
full initial dose then 1 drop per gallon with testing to see where it's at. Don't want to go over 2ppm and def don't want to starve them so testing is key.

edit : there are instructions on the bottle. 4 drops/gal to start then add as needed

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back