Precipitation in dosing container

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ScottF83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I've read a lot about avoiding precipitation as the part 3's hit the water but mine are doing it in the dosing container that I dose from

The container is 1 liter with half of 3a and half of 3b. Its situated in a closed cabinet and touching the sump glass so I would assume it is fairly warm. The room is kept warm as the rest of the house, especially as it's cold outside at the moment.

It's causing me some genuine problems in terms of keeping my Alkalinity at the right level and doing has increased to 100ml per day on a 750 liter tank! Not right, I realise now after a discussion on R2R on a separate thread

So just looking at some suggestions as to how to keep it in solution without requiring a manual stir every day (I'm trying to lower the maintenance requirements!)

Many thanks
Scott

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Scott

If the problem is precipitation in the dosing container then I would suggest that you dilute the solution with RO. Normally ensuring the containers are in a warm environment is enough. Also try to spread the doses into as many as possible throughout the day and make sure the solutions are being dosed into high flow and there are no restrictions in the dosing tubes.

OP
OP
ScottF83

ScottF83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Scott

If the problem is precipitation in the dosing container then I would suggest that you dilute the solution with RO. Normally ensuring the containers are in a warm environment is enough. Also try to spread the doses into as many as possible throughout the day and make sure the solutions are being dosed into high flow and there are no restrictions in the dosing tubes.
Many thanks

What level of dilution would you recommend for guaranteed solubility at 20c/68f of the combined part 3 and individual part 1 and 2? (all three seem to have a problem)

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks

What level of dilution would you recommend for guaranteed solubility at 20c/68f of the combined part 3 and individual part 1 and 2? (all three seem to have a problem)

I dilute my Core7 by adding the 1 liter solution into a 1 gallon jug and filling with RODI. So that’s 1:2.79 dilution and still get a little precipitate in the 3A and 3B containers. This is how much after 14 months. I only get this in the 3A and 3B parts.
6BD0E404-3339-4676-B3C8-F3E3C478D976.jpeg
963149BB-AB4E-430F-8268-A2CB4DB1B437.jpeg

OP
OP
ScottF83

ScottF83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dilute my Core7 by adding the 1 liter solution into a 1 gallon jug and filling with RODI. So that’s 1:2.79 dilution and still get a little precipitate in the 3A and 3B containers. This is how much after 14 months. I only get this in the 3A and 3B parts.
6BD0E404-3339-4676-B3C8-F3E3C478D976.jpeg
963149BB-AB4E-430F-8268-A2CB4DB1B437.jpeg
That's interesting thank you. Does that affect your alkalinity by way of variable concentrations when it's precipitating?

OP
OP
ScottF83

ScottF83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No affect as well on my Skimz container.
th
That's a nice container. Mine hold about 1.5ml each so perhaps a little small for my tank.

Anyway, I've diluted the current amount in my dosing containers 1:1 with deionized water. This was purely because I happened to have the right amounts left in each so I didn't have to remove any to start diluting it.

I've noticed that the part 1 has a heavy dusting on the bottom still. Parts 2 and 3a/3b only a light dusting. May need further dilution.

Also, I checked on the larger source containers and the 3b is like a container of ice cubes! Heavily crystallised. I'll need to spend a chunk of time getting this all fully soluble again.

Just heat and a lot of stirring?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back