Predator Tank Flow

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, y'all! Just about done setting up our 75G predator tank. But I have a question regarding the flow!
The tank will consist of the following livestock:
2 Blackfoot Lionfish
1 Juvenile Snowflake Moray
1 Bluespot Puffer
1 Blue Throat Trigger

Here's what I've got for flow as of now. Trying to make sure the front of the tank gets good circulation bc in my other tank I'm still battling cyano from it not getting enough flow up front. What kind of flow do Lionfish like (they're the most delicate in the tank for sure). Is this too much, just right?

Thank you!

@lion king

20201105_152155 (1).jpg 20201105_152200.jpg 20201105_152149.jpg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never owned a Lion Fish, but from your photo it looks like even if you have rather strong flow, you at least have a cave or two that your Lion could use to get out of it; so that seems like a plan.

OP
OP
Manda0597

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan on corals?
If you can somehow aim the powerheads to make the spots where flow is varied, your fish will find the spots they enjoy.
I don't plan to have corals in this tank. It will be FOWLR as I have a 90G Reef Tank and this one is more fish focused.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you described you do want good flow to prevent dead spots, but for the most part lions don't enjoy sps type high flow. They will adjust to the flow in your tank but if too much for their liking they'll just find a comfortable spot and become very sedentary. Each lion is different as I've had some enjoy higher flow while others did not, you'll kind of have to play it by ear. If they seem to be getting blown around and not venturing out into the open and swimming around, you may need to adjust. Lions do perch alot and hang in their caves but they do swim around and put on a display, if not the flow may too high or even the light may be too high.

My blackfoot was not a cave dweller, he was more of a percher and was very active.

OP
OP
Manda0597

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you described you do want good flow to prevent dead spots, but for the most part lions don't enjoy sps type high flow. They will adjust to the flow in your tank but if too much for their liking they'll just find a comfortable spot and become very sedentary. Each lion is different as I've had some enjoy higher flow while others did not, you'll kind of have to play it by ear. If they seem to be getting blown around and not venturing out into the open and swimming around, you may need to adjust. Lions do perch alot and hang in their caves but they do swim around and put on a display, if not the flow may too high or even the light may be too high.

My blackfoot was not a cave dweller, he was more of a percher and was very active.
I got them today! Is it normal for them to perch upside down under rocks? Especially just getting used to the tank?

20201106_203049.jpg 20201106_203107.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes hanging upside down in a cave is completely normal, not just getting used to the tank, this is normal activity. I hate to break it to you but those are not blackfoot lionfish, they are dwarf zebra's, Dendrochirus zebra.

OP
OP
Manda0597

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes hanging upside down in a cave is completely normal, not just getting used to the tank, this is normal activity. I hate to break it to you but those are not blackfoot lionfish, they are dwarf zebra's, Dendrochirus zebra.
Honestly Zebras is what we were looking for anyway. In Florida I will take what I can get as they are very hard to come across. I did get excited when they said they were blackfoot. You are a wealth of knowledge sir, I appreciate you! I was thinking maybe they weren't happy in my tank because they were just perching upside down. They are beautiful though!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back