Premade vs concentrate alkalinity reagent...

  • Thread starter Thread starter afboundguy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

afboundguy

acanaholic
View Badges
Joined
Jun 12, 2009
Messages
1,337
Reaction score
835
Location
MA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into purchasing the concentrate alkalinity testing instead of the premixed solutions to save some money and curious if would need to stir it for a few days/weeks like I often have to do when I make fresh 3-part?
 
I am looking into purchasing the concentrate alkalinity testing instead of the premixed solutions to save some money and curious if would need to stir it for a few days/weeks like I often have to do when I make fresh 3-part?
I don’t. I make 5 liters at a time from concentrated HCl and never mix it again. I’m guessing I’ll use it up in a year or 2.
 
You are talking about a concentrated acid that is diluted for alk testing? I do that using 2.0 N sulfuric diluted down to 0.1 N for my diy alk tests.

The simple act of adding 19 parts water to 1 part acid is plenty of mixing. Its like adding water to kool aid: it almost instantly
comes to the new color/concentration.
 
I don’t. I make 5 liters at a time from concentrated HCl and never mix it again. I’m guessing I’ll use it up in a year or 2.
Do you have a link to the HCI and what ratio? I would love to be able to make it even cheaper than the concentrate I ordered!
 
You are talking about a concentrated acid that is diluted for alk testing? I do that using 2.0 N sulfuric diluted down to 0.1 N for my diy alk tests.

The simple act of adding 19 parts water to 1 part acid is plenty of mixing. Its like adding water to kool aid: it almost instantly
comes to the new color/concentration.
I believe so. I was using the premixed 0.02N from CoralVue. Do you use HCI as well?
 
Do you have a link to the HCI and what ratio? I would love to be able to make it even cheaper than the concentrate I ordered!
I just get 1M HCl from Amazon. Then I use this recipe

To make 5L of alkatronic reagent

100 ml 1M HCl plus 4900 ml water

Instructions:

  1. Fill a 100 ml volumetric flask with 1M acid
  2. Put the acid in a 1L volumetric flask and fill to 1L with ro water
  3. Add the solution to the alkatronic feed container.
  4. Add 4 more L RO water to container.
 
I just get 1M HCl from Amazon. Then I use this recipe

To make 5L of alkatronic reagent

100 ml 1M HCl plus 4900 ml water

Instructions:

  1. Fill a 100 ml volumetric flask with 1M acid
  2. Put the acid in a 1L volumetric flask and fill to 1L with ro water
  3. Add the solution to the alkatronic feed container.
  4. Add 4 more L RO water to container.
So this would work? https://a.co/d/07KpDXIv
 
I don’t. I make 5 liters at a time from concentrated HCl and never mix it again. I’m guessing I’ll use it up in a year or 2.
What are you keeping it in? I've been trying to mix mine and keep it in one of my old 4L coralvue containers but I wouldn't mind jumping to a 5L esp. if it makes the mix easier to calculate/measure out.
 
What are you keeping it in? I've been trying to mix mine and keep it in one of my old 4L coralvue containers but I wouldn't mind jumping to a 5L esp. if it makes the mix easier to calculate/measure out.
CSBD F-Style Clear Plastic Jug... Amazon product ASIN B08617J9TC

The container is 10L but I mix 5L at a time
 
I believe so. I was using the premixed 0.02N from CoralVue. Do you use HCI as well?

I use sulfuric acid for my DIY alk titrations. There should be no difference between using 0.1 N HCl or sulfuric acid.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 27.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 8 12.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new