Pretty massive Tin Discrepancy between ICP'S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I confess I am a little puzzled by this one. I have had three triton tests come back with excessively high tin since December. The first one was over 100. Each one, has been a little less than the last though.

After the first one, I thought I'd try a different brand test to compare results. This test has come back twice now showing little or no tin at all. One (the second I sent in) got lost in the mail and still hasn't shown up. So three tritons show tin near 100, and two of the Icp-anaylsis tests show tin at .009

Anyway

I'm just really wondering how their can be such a massive discrepancy between the two. Anyone else have super inconsistent results like this between different tests?

Screenshot 2019-03-18 09.27.02.png

Screenshot 2019-03-18 09.27.36.png

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have huge discrepancies as well. I’ve sent in two identical samples to ICP-analysis, marking them as if they had been from two different tanks, and had vastly different readings. One full of metals; the other not. what the heck. I can even post them if you’d like.

Of course I don’t want to make any accusations without knowing 100%.... but it seemed like there are issues with testing, or even perhaps both were not tested, because the results made zero sense. Interestingly, one timee at first they said they never received my second sample, which was in the same box. But when I asked for a replacement, they “found it”, and I had the most remarkably differing results.

Just a few days ago I did the same thing, sending in 2 vials marked as from different tanks, and the results were somewhat better but still very different and would lead me to totally different reactions.

Aka.... take results with many many many grains of salt @Battlecorals . There is VERY little accuracy or reliability in my experience. Send in samples marked as from different tanks.....

I am only continuing to send in samples because I purchased many during a sale.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I too had Tin in my Triton ICP for the first time ever. Last time this happened to a bunch of people with arsenic it turned out to be a calibration error on Triton's part. Wonder if that's what's going on again here or if we actually have Tin in our tanks...

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I too had Tin in my ICP for the first time ever. Last time this happened to a bunch of people with arsenic it turned out to be a calibration error on Triton's part. Wonder if that's what's going on again here or if we actually have Tin in our tanks...

Same here. One of my (identical) samples had massive amounts of tin... the other none. Perhaps went through two different machines. Will post results after I get on my laptop.... I would definitely not stock up on ICP tests again

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey Adam - are the units of measurement the same?

I honestly don't know but the triton is "off the charts" so to speak and the other is almost zero lol. I did re do 95% of my plumbing around thanksgiving, and had given credence to the notion that new PVC may cause elevated tin readings. But at these levels its my understanding that my system would be an acro graveyard. Which it is not. Definitely had hiccups after the re plumb but I cannot say it was directly related to the supposed high tin

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some variation in icp numbers between icp analysis and triton but nothing that pronounced, it was usually trace where it could be accounted for by sample noise. Maybe send in an ati test for a tie breaker?

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s been decently well documented over on the chemistry forums with Randy that icp-analysis should probably not be trusted too much.
Darn. Wish I would have known that before wasting my money on one of their test kits. Now I don't know if my results mean anything. I will say that my Mg was read as low (~1100), but when I check it with Salifert it's actually a little high (over 1400).

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would tin even get in the water in the first place? Sounds suspect to me.

Nilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, 2 tests, one in Feb and one in March showing high Tin levels. Was concerned it was condensation dripping from my T5 reflectors but kinda stuck on a solution if that was the case. Tank is doing well otherwise and I don’t really want to go on a goose chase figuring out the source of the Tin. Good to know I’m not the only one. Will try the other company’s tests before doing anything drastic.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would tin even get in the water in the first place? Sounds suspect to me.
Kind of my thoughts as well. I've seen many people report the presence of Tin in their test results, myself included on the two occasions of I've done the test. Is it really present to the levels these tests are reflecting? And if so, is it as bad as the testing companies make it seem?

mclark452

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I confess I am a little puzzled by this one. I have had three triton tests come back with excessively high tin since December. The first one was over 100. Each one, has been a little less than the last though.

After the first one, I thought I'd try a different brand test to compare results. This test has come back twice now showing little or no tin at all. One (the second I sent in) got lost in the mail and still hasn't shown up. So three tritons show tin near 100, and two of the Icp-anaylsis tests show tin at .009

Anyway

I'm just really wondering how their can be such a massive discrepancy between the two. Anyone else have super inconsistent results like this between different tests?

Screenshot 2019-03-18 09.27.02.png

Screenshot 2019-03-18 09.27.36.png
ATI, the test I use normally, consistantly shows elevated tin in my system. I used that particular test as well one time and my tin level was magically undetectable. That being said, I made a correction dose to my bromine levels based on that test and ended up over dosing my bromine by 30 ppm, according to the following ICP from ATI. Bottom line, I do not trust that particular test one bit.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Triton test, been waiting a while before I get it done, now I'm not sure if I want to.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, it’s just a test. It does no harm to have it done. lol

Second, triton is not going to be the problem. Icp-analysis.com is the one I would steer clear of.
It seems to be Triton that is giving high tin readings for everyone. I had a couple test done also and it showed high tin for me also. I never did anything about it as everything seemed fine.

Back