Pretty massive Tin Discrepancy between ICP'S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least they owned up to it. Albeit very quietly without explanation?

They just zeroed it out but id hope that thise who got emails got an explanation?

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, it’s just a test. It does no harm to have it done. lol

Second, triton is not going to be the problem. Icp-analysis.com is the one I would steer clear of.

Did You have a problem with the ICP Testing .Com that would cause you to steer clear of it?...Just curious.

daelie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did You have a problem with the ICP Testing .Com that would cause you to steer clear of it?...Just curious.

Not me, personally. I’ve read enough icp posts on the chemistry part of the forums to know that I wouldn’t trust their results and Randy, himself, has essentially echoed that sentiment each time someone comes questioning their results from them.

That’s enough right there for me to not even bother wasting my money on them.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Correct, they are not the same measurement. Triton is ug/L and ICP-Analysis is ppm. Triton would convert to 0.089 ppm.

Thanks a lot for all the input guys Very much appreciated. That conversion definitely make more sense to me. I admit I didn't even look at that when i was comparing the two. lol

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think I told Adam already about the Uranium (and various other heavy metals) scare with our well water when tested with icp-analysis. Freaked me out big time and switched all drinking water to RO. Sent in a sample to a certified lab (which took a looooong time to process) and it was zero.

At macna 2016, I had gotten the free icp samples from aquaforest for salt and rodi water, during that time I believe icp analysis just started to issue testing for aquariums. So during my quarterly Triton test, I decided to just send all 3 test at once to see witch icp company I would be most comfortable with(and curiousity =). The results between the 3 had all came out considerably differently then one another. I spoken about this a small handfull of times Somewhere on the forum, also had to have documented this on my very lengthy build thread and was pretty upset with how it all turned out. I remember at the time I was doing comparisons between test kits, and to tell you the truth, have no idea who to believe. I'll have to go digging for the icp results, ever since then I haven't testing with a icp kit, even have 2 icp analysis tests sitting in my test kit tool box.

I also did a side by side comparison sending a split sample to icp-analysis and Triton and also got results that varied hugely for some elements on the two tests.

I quit sending in samples.

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had high tin. Found a couple of things. 1. Brass rust from some fittings used for air to scrubber. 2. Ca reactor science pump rotor failure. Done just disregard, investigate!

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my second test back and still have off the charts Tin levels. This was after finding a replacing the MP40 wet side and doing the recommended water change. I guess I do a more thorough inspection and see if I can find some rust. I hate water changes!

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my second test back and still have off the charts Tin levels. This was after finding a replacing the MP40 wet side and doing the recommended water change. I guess I do a more thorough inspection and see if I can find some rust. I hate water changes!
How much water did you replace in total?

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water did you replace in total?
Marc, I did a total of 90 gallon divided between two changes of 45 gallons each.

BTW: Thanks for asking me the question. It made me go back and compare the last two test, and I now see my level did drop from the first tow the second test. The first reading was 19 µg/l and the second one was 11 µg/l. I also noticed I didn't change enough water to equal the about Triton recommended over the six changes. I would assume I don't need to do a one for one since 2 larger changes would equal or exceed six smaller changes since the larger changes have a higher concentration of the old water. I'm still going to do an expectation again and this time replace the target amount.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marc, I did a total of 90 gallon divided between two changes of 45 gallons each.

BTW: Thanks for asking me the question. It made me go back and compare the last two test, and I now see my level did drop from the first tow the second test. The first reading was 19 µg/l and the second one was 11 µg/l. I also noticed I didn't change enough water to equal the about Triton recommended over the six changes. I would assume I don't need to do a one for one since 2 larger changes would equal or exceed six smaller changes since the larger changes have a higher concentration of the old water. I'm still going to do an expectation again and this time replace the target amount.
Yeah was just wondering. I changed 80 gallons total, 40 per day for 2 days in a row on my 180g. Been running 300g cuprisorb for 2 wks and waiting on my 2nd test.

This time sent samples to Triton and icptesting.com at same time. Will see.

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah was just wondering. I changed 80 gallons total, 40 per day for 2 days in a row on my 180g. Been running 300g cuprisorb for 2 wks and waiting on my 2nd test.

This time sent samples to Triton and icptesting.com at same time. Will see.

My water volume is about 150 gallons in total. If you don't mind, let me know how it goes with the cuprisorb. I thought about trying it but was concerned it would stripe out other elements, causing me to do a water change or manual dosing those elements.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water volume is about 150 gallons in total. If you don't mind, let me know how it goes with the cuprisorb. I thought about trying it but was concerned it would stripe out other elements, causing me to do a water change or manual dosing those elements.
Will do, because I know mathematically what my tin levels should be based on just water changes so if it's anything glass, my guess is it would have to be the Cuprisorb, because from my understanding my GAC will not do much for 10.

If it makes you feel any better, I did test my alk, calcium magnesium and phosphate many times since the Cooper's orb has been online. And those ones have been stable, but of course we don't know about the other Trace elements.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do, because I know mathematically what my tin levels should be based on just water changes so if it's anything glass, my guess is it would have to be the Cuprisorb, because from my understanding my GAC will not do much for 10.

If it makes you feel any better, I did test my alk, calcium magnesium and phosphate many times since the Cooper's orb has been online. And those ones have been stable, but of course we don't know about the other Trace elements.
Haha. Sorry about spelling, did voice recognition via cell. Meant if tin falls lower than 40%, which is what it should via my 40%water changes, Cuprisorb must work somewhat.

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. Sorry about spelling, did voice recognition via cell. Meant if tin falls lower than 40%, which is what it should via my 40%water changes, Cuprisorb must work somewhat.
Funny... Siri has her way with my text responses all the time. You are correct, I'm mainly worried about the minor trace elements. I feel like it would be easier (and possibly less expensive) to do water changes than having to purchase several minor elements. I haven't done an extensive search on Triton results after Cuprisorb... Maybe I should give that a look.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back my Triton analysis on my 75G, no tin reported. Anecdotally I can say most of the data from the parameters that I check myself seem to be reflected well in the Triton analysis.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been having an issue in my SPS tank with a purple stylo and Jack o lantern receding. Both hardy corals I’ve had for years. Sent out a Triton and got back 14 ug/l Tin. Inspected every magnet, pump, sifted all my sand w a magnet, etc. and found my 10 year old 6025 in my mixing station had a split magnet with a little rust. Odd there was no iron, chromium, etc. but here’s to hoping it’s the cause and not a false positive.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Battlecorals did you ever figure out where the tin came from or how to get rid of it?

Good question. I really haven't been able to pinpoint anything but my best guess is the typical new PVC, or perhaps even the glass of last 11' tank I plumbed in that hadn't been filled yet. As of my last triton test, I was still over 60, and the system is certainly not "crashing". After 4 tests now, I do believe that the triton test is accurate enough in showing that I do have some highly elevated tin i my system but, I'm convinced that whatever type of tin this is, it's not a form that will destroy all sps, as some have suggested by there own tin findings.

Screenshot 2019-05-10 09.13.32.png

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 157 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back