Pretty massive Tin Discrepancy between ICP'S

Discussion in 'Battlecorals' started by Battlecorals, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Battlecorals

Battlecorals Aquaculturist R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

So I confess I am a little puzzled by this one. I have had three triton tests come back with excessively high tin since December. The first one was over 100. Each one, has been a little less than the last though.

After the first one, I thought I'd try a different brand test to compare results. This test has come back twice now showing little or no tin at all. One (the second I sent in) got lost in the mail and still hasn't shown up. So three tritons show tin near 100, and two of the Icp-anaylsis tests show tin at .009

Anyway

I'm just really wondering how their can be such a massive discrepancy between the two. Anyone else have super inconsistent results like this between different tests?

Screenshot 2019-03-18 09.27.02.png

Screenshot 2019-03-18 09.27.36.png

2. swk

swk Well-Known Member

Hey Adam - are the units of measurement the same?

Rickyrooz likes this.
  3. TheHarold

TheHarold Valuable Member R2R Supporter

I have huge discrepancies as well. I’ve sent in two identical samples to ICP-analysis, marking them as if they had been from two different tanks, and had vastly different readings. One full of metals; the other not. what the heck. I can even post them if you’d like.

Of course I don’t want to make any accusations without knowing 100%.... but it seemed like there are issues with testing, or even perhaps both were not tested, because the results made zero sense. Interestingly, one timee at first they said they never received my second sample, which was in the same box. But when I asked for a replacement, they “found it”, and I had the most remarkably differing results.

Just a few days ago I did the same thing, sending in 2 vials marked as from different tanks, and the results were somewhat better but still very different and would lead me to totally different reactions.

Aka.... take results with many many many grains of salt @Battlecorals . There is VERY little accuracy or reliability in my experience. Send in samples marked as from different tanks.....

I am only continuing to send in samples because I purchased many during a sale.

4. daelie

daelie Active Member Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

I think it’s been decently well documented over on the chemistry forums with Randy that icp-analysis.com should probably not be trusted too much.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  5. S-t-r-e-t-c-h

S-t-r-e-t-c-h Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Ocala Reef Club Member

6. CMO

CMO Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Interesting. I too had Tin in my Triton ICP for the first time ever. Last time this happened to a bunch of people with arsenic it turned out to be a calibration error on Triton's part. Wonder if that's what's going on again here or if we actually have Tin in our tanks...

Hemmdog, marlinmon and TheHarold like this.
  7. TheHarold

TheHarold Valuable Member R2R Supporter

Same here. One of my (identical) samples had massive amounts of tin... the other none. Perhaps went through two different machines. Will post results after I get on my laptop.... I would definitely not stock up on ICP tests again

8. Battlecorals

Battlecorals Aquaculturist R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

I honestly don't know but the triton is "off the charts" so to speak and the other is almost zero lol. I did re do 95% of my plumbing around thanksgiving, and had given credence to the notion that new PVC may cause elevated tin readings. But at these levels its my understanding that my system would be an acro graveyard. Which it is not. Definitely had hiccups after the re plumb but I cannot say it was directly related to the supposed high tin

9. AtlCPA

AtlCPA Active Member

Certainly doesn’t give one confidence in these tests.

Sounds like a good BRS investigates

Mjl714, ccombs, Orcus Varuna and 4 others like this.
  10. Maacc

Maacc Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I had some variation in icp numbers between icp analysis and triton but nothing that pronounced, it was usually trace where it could be accounted for by sample noise. Maybe send in an ati test for a tie breaker?

Rich Gross likes this.
  11. Thales

Thales Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Expert Contributor

Have you looked at the article linked above?

12. tautog83

tautog83 Valuable Member

Yea seeing stuff like that makes you wonder.... reminds me of that scammer lady that ripped people oand companies off for millions for a simplified blood test or whatever

13. hatfielj

hatfielj Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Darn. Wish I would have known that before wasting my money on one of their test kits. Now I don't know if my results mean anything. I will say that my Mg was read as low (~1100), but when I check it with Salifert it's actually a little high (over 1400).

Hemmdog likes this.
  14. Softhammer

Softhammer Well-Known Member

How would tin even get in the water in the first place? Sounds suspect to me.

15. Nilo

Nilo Member

Same here, 2 tests, one in Feb and one in March showing high Tin levels. Was concerned it was condensation dripping from my T5 reflectors but kinda stuck on a solution if that was the case. Tank is doing well otherwise and I don’t really want to go on a goose chase figuring out the source of the Tin. Good to know I’m not the only one. Will try the other company’s tests before doing anything drastic.

Hemmdog likes this.
  16. KJoFan

KJoFan Valuable Member Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Kind of my thoughts as well. I've seen many people report the presence of Tin in their test results, myself included on the two occasions of I've done the test. Is it really present to the levels these tests are reflecting? And if so, is it as bad as the testing companies make it seem?

Softhammer likes this.
  17. mclark452

mclark452 Member Partner Member 2019

ATI, the test I use normally, consistantly shows elevated tin in my system. I used that particular test as well one time and my tin level was magically undetectable. That being said, I made a correction dose to my bromine levels based on that test and ended up over dosing my bromine by 30 ppm, according to the following ICP from ATI. Bottom line, I do not trust that particular test one bit.

Hemmdog likes this.
  18. Billldg

Billldg Going off the reef end R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I have a Triton test, been waiting a while before I get it done, now I'm not sure if I want to.

Hemmdog likes this.
  19. daelie

daelie Active Member Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Firstly, it’s just a test. It does no harm to have it done. lol

Second, triton is not going to be the problem. Icp-analysis.com is the one I would steer clear of.

Rich Gross and mclark452 like this.
  20. bubbaque

bubbaque Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

It seems to be Triton that is giving high tin readings for everyone. I had a couple test done also and it showed high tin for me also. I never did anything about it as everything seemed fine.

Mjl714, therman, dwest and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted