Pretty massive Tin Discrepancy between ICP'S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This probably doesn't help but my last ATI test a few months ago, tin was 1.14 for me, so not crazy high. Maybe try a test with them?

daelie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to be Triton that is giving high tin readings for everyone. I had a couple test done also and it showed high tin for me also. I never did anything about it as everything seemed fine.

That’s a pretty massive generalization off of this one thread. I have a 0 reading for Tin on my triton as well as several others in my local reef club.

Maybe, Tin is more prevalent in our systems than people realize.

pokerdobe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The discrepancy between the two is due to different detection limits. (Unless I'm misunderstanding LOD)

Triton's LOD is in ppb for tin. The limit stated is 0.889 ppb - 1.5 ppb.

Assuming my math isn't off (which it definitely might be), the .009ppm tin for the other testing service would convert to 9ppb on the same scale as Triton. Which is off the scale according to their upper LOD.

Long story short, the resolution is higher on Triton.

OR I could be completely wrong. I'm sure someone else with a better understanding of this stuff will come along sooner or later.

Rcollick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my test results I just got back today. I don’t see any red flags but maybe I’m wrong. I probably won’t do another one considering $29.99 plus $15 to mail it in. I will stick with ati Icp tests.

Attachments

• testResult_randycollick_20190318203049.pdf
    19.6 KB · Views: 223

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam can you get one of the home depot home water test and send it out . I always start at the beginning / make up water when I see a issue. In the winter the water companies treat the water differently. Hope this helps . One of the other companies offer tank and make up water test.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I confess I am a little puzzled by this one. I have had three triton tests come back with excessively high tin since December. The first one was over 100. Each one, has been a little less than the last though.

After the first one, I thought I'd try a different brand test to compare results. This test has come back twice now showing little or no tin at all. One (the second I sent in) got lost in the mail and still hasn't shown up. So three tritons show tin near 100, and two of the Icp-anaylsis tests show tin at .009

Anyway

I'm just really wondering how their can be such a massive discrepancy between the two. Anyone else have super inconsistent results like this between different tests?

Screenshot 2019-03-18 09.27.02.png

Screenshot 2019-03-18 09.27.36.png
The units aren't the same.
1 ppm = 1mg/l = 1ug /ml = 1000ug/L

So triton is saying ~90 ug/L and ICP-Anlysis is saying 9ug/L. Still off by a factor of 10 between the two, but it starts to make more sense.

Last edited:

Ken101Ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam, my Triton test came back with 76 micrograms/liter. All other "unwanted heavy metals" were zero except for a very small amount of Aluminum. This is my second Triton Test with excessive amounts of Tin. I have a form of red green colorblindness and really rely on ICP and digital meters as I struggle with titration tests.

mginani

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent in a Triton ICP and it said I had elevated chromium and to do 6 15% water changes. It also said my Fe was zero which seemed right because my chaeto was not growing. I did the water changes and immediately sent another Triton ICP out. In the meantime, I bought a Giesemann Fe test kit. I was planning on dosing Fe. The Giesemann confirmed zero Fe. Then, the 2nd Triton ICP came back and said Fe was thru the roof and to do 6 15% water changes again. You'd think the test kit would be less accurate than the ICP but based on lack of chaeto growth, I'm guessing the test kit is right and the ICP is wrong.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't know but the triton is "off the charts" so to speak and the other is almost zero lol. I did re do 95% of my plumbing around thanksgiving, and had given credence to the notion that new PVC may cause elevated tin readings. But at these levels its my understanding that my system would be an acro graveyard. Which it is not. Definitely had hiccups after the re plumb but I cannot say it was directly related to the supposed high tin
Might not hurt to send a sample of fresh salt water along with a tank sample. Maybe something you can bring up to the Triton people. ICP is usually very accurate but it requires an operator that knows what they are doing. Im not a lab tech, but run metal air samples for work all the time and talk to the lab about results all the time. At least with air samples and an accreditated lab, accuracy is less than 1% error.

I went with an ATI kit as they also run an RO sample included to make sure you are not introducing crap thru your water. Im not advocating for them, but i was happy with my first test and will likely use again.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
At macna 2016, I had gotten the free icp samples from aquaforest for salt and rodi water, during that time I believe icp analysis just started to issue testing for aquariums. So during my quarterly Triton test, I decided to just send all 3 test at once to see witch icp company I would be most comfortable with(and curiousity =). The results between the 3 had all came out considerably differently then one another. I spoken about this a small handfull of times Somewhere on the forum, also had to have documented this on my very lengthy build thread and was pretty upset with how it all turned out. I remember at the time I was doing comparisons between test kits, and to tell you the truth, have no idea who to believe. I'll have to go digging for the icp results, ever since then I haven't testing with a icp kit, even have 2 icp analysis tests sitting in my test kit tool box.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back my first Triton test and show elevated tin of 16mcg/l and slightly elevated aluminum too.

I did have a rusty magnetic hook above my sump that I removed. 20% water change. New GAC. And 200ml of cuprisorb in my sump.

Trying to see how long I should wait before sending in again. Or of I should try another company... but now I feel discouraged.
2cf6e00d1ea9de6f5219f7392908e695.jpg
cc3f08e7a7b4b1335434d0439093ec1b.jpg

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't know but the triton is "off the charts" so to speak and the other is almost zero lol. I did re do 95% of my plumbing around thanksgiving, and had given credence to the notion that new PVC may cause elevated tin readings. But at these levels its my understanding that my system would be an acro graveyard. Which it is not. Definitely had hiccups after the re plumb but I cannot say it was directly related to the supposed high tin

Adam, I have the same Tin problem and plumbing theory you mentioned. I've had several Triton test done over a two-year span and they've always come back with no Tin, except for my test this past December, it was off the chart. About a month before this test, I was gluing up a bunch of PVC for a new UV filter, so like you, I suspected it was the glue or new fitting/pipe. I inspected the tank and found a very small amount of rust on the spindle of an MP40 so I replaced it. I also did the recommended water change. During this whole time, I had one SPS that was having a weird recession issue, but all the other SPS appear fine. I can't say I've seen any changes in the tank or that coral since I did the water change so I don't know if the reading was correct or not. I just sent off my Q1 test and should have the results back this week or next. If I see anything interesting, I'll update the thread.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I too had Tin in my Triton ICP for the first time ever. Last time this happened to a bunch of people with arsenic it turned out to be a calibration error on Triton's part. Wonder if that's what's going on again here or if we actually have Tin in our tanks...
Did Triton announce to the public that errors were made?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 131 74.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back