Pretty massive Tin Discrepancy between ICP'S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first Triton test came back show HUGE amounts of lead. I tested my RO water source, my salt mixed water, and checked ever pump, fitting, valve... nothing. No idea why I got that reading. I’ve tested since from Triton and ICP and... no lead. Go figure...

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. I really haven't been able to pinpoint anything but my best guess is the typical new PVC, or perhaps even the glass of last 11' tank I plumbed in that hadn't been filled yet. As of my last triton test, I was still over 60, and the system is certainly not "crashing". After 4 tests now, I do believe that the triton test is accurate enough in showing that I do have some highly elevated tin i my system but, I'm convinced that whatever type of tin this is, it's not a form that will destroy all sps, as some have suggested by there own tin findings.

Screenshot 2019-05-10 09.13.32.png

That is odd, do you by chance run GAC? I've read that the organotin used in the PVC might be removed by GAC.

My first ICP on a new system showed tin of 80ug/l, 30 days later it was 160ug/l.

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do, because I know mathematically what my tin levels should be based on just water changes so if it's anything glass, my guess is it would have to be the Cuprisorb, because from my understanding my GAC will not do much for 10.

If it makes you feel any better, I did test my alk, calcium magnesium and phosphate many times since the Cooper's orb has been online. And those ones have been stable, but of course we don't know about the other Trace elements.
@Makers Marc - I was wondering if you had success with the Cuprisorb? Specifically, did you get a positive ICP test result indicating it worked on the tin and/or did it change any of your minor elements based on past tests on your system?

I just finished four 40-gallon water changes over the past four weeks. I can't say I found the exact cause for the high tin levels, but I did find a couple of things that might have contributed other than the PVC work I did a while back. I hope I got this time!

U

User1

View Badges
I am starting to really doubt both the testing methodology and results from the various venders that offer these services. I see a lot of posts on this forum and others all repeating similar questions. High tin, why. High zinc, why. In most cases the tanks are doing very well if not great but left scratching their heads pondering the results.

Conceptually I think it is a great idea. From a big data perspective I think it is an even better idea especially if opened up to the community so we can do some analysis on the results. However the accuracy of the tests based on cost and testing methodology to reset after each test to a known baseline is, well, not practical on a timescale. At least from what I can tell. I like the idea like I said but I think the workflow isn't sterile enough or reset after each test to assume their accuracy.

At least that is my take. Granted I've only sent in two tests and used ATI. I've sent a few follow up emails to discuss the results and they are great people to talk to. Very helpful. However ignoring the human factor and quality of service I think they all have good intent but the flaw is with how our tests are conducted and their calibration between tests. Could be a misunderstanding on my side how they execute but just too many questions keep coming up and I find it hard to believe everyone has a tin or zinc problem.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That is odd, do you by chance run GAC? I've read that the organotin used in the PVC might be removed by GAC.

My first ICP on a new system showed tin of 80ug/l, 30 days later it was 160ug/l.

Hi there thanks lot for the post I don't run carbon much if at all in my main but I may give it a try, and see if it has any impact. will definitely share any results

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there thanks lot for the post I don't run carbon much if at all in my main but I may give it a try, and see if it has any impact. will definitely share any results

Just wanted to come back to this, I added carbon to my system which was suspected as having organotin leaching from PVC (most likely flex PVC). The carbon dropped the tin from ~178 ug/l to ~48 ug/l in 2 weeks confirming 1) I did have organotin leaching and 2) GAC should remove it rather quickly.

Here is my thread on the topic for more info: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/pvc-and-tin.596192/

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Makers Marc - I was wondering if you had success with the Cuprisorb? Specifically, did you get a positive ICP test result indicating it worked on the tin and/or did it change any of your minor elements based on past tests on your system?

I just finished four 40-gallon water changes over the past four weeks. I can't say I found the exact cause for the high tin levels, but I did find a couple of things that might have contributed other than the PVC work I did a while back. I hope I got this time!
Cuprisorb never did anything. Sorry just saw this.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just wanted to come back to this, I added carbon to my system which was suspected as having organotin leaching from PVC (most likely flex PVC). The carbon dropped the tin from ~178 ug/l to ~48 ug/l in 2 weeks confirming 1) I did have organotin leaching and 2) GAC should remove it rather quickly.

Here is my thread on the topic for more info: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/pvc-and-tin.596192/

Very cool man. I really appreciate the info. Expecting some new triton results soon and ill post up the info when they do. Last one still showed tin over 60

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This high tech water testing biz is the greatest money collecting sham in the hobby. Remember when people had awesome tanks long before any of this came around?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back