Problem with Nero 5 (child) phase setting in random mode

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had replied to them asking why this was noted as a defect before, and suddenly it's not:

"This is something we are still looking into, however, it is not a defect. There will likely be a change in the future regarding this mode in the app. When the change comes, it will likely just put each pump in random since there is no true anti-sync to random mode."

OP
OP
derekh

derekh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm okay with there being a bug in the software. **** happens. I'm okay with missing deadlines to fix the bug. **** happens.

Not being honest about an issue and gaslighting? That's just not cool. "Problem? What problem? It's designed that way. We never said it wasn't. This works perfectly and there's no such thing as anti-sync in random."

Plenty of other pumps have anti-sync in random. It's ridiculous to suggest there is no "true anti-sync". I mean come on, the Vortechs made by their sister company have had it for years. But hey I'm preaching to the choir here. :D

OP
OP
derekh

derekh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did come up with a pretty effective way to setup the pumps to reproduce the benefits of true anti-sync in random. Just setting both pumps to random 0-100% has both pumps spending most of their time somewhere in the middle speeds, keeping the turbulence point between the two pumps in the middle third of the tank like 80% of the time.

It's a little tedious to setup, but here's what I did:
HourPump L Independent RandomPump R Independent Random
10-70%30-100%
230-100%0-70%
30-70%30-100%
4-24 hrsrepeat pattern...repeat pattern...

OP
OP
derekh

derekh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This setup accomplishes 2 things:

1) It forces the turbulence point to spend more time along the ends of the tank, though it will still hit the middle of the tank.

2) It sets a floor and a ceiling to the flowrate in the tank. Two pumps set to random 0-100% might both be at 0% or both be at 100% at the same time (both conditions probably not ideal). With the alternating ranges of random, you'll always have one pump at 30% minimum, and you'll never have both pumps at 100%.

Obviously you can adjust the percentages depending on your tank's needs, but definitely have the L and R overlap a little. For example, you could do Pump L 0-50%, and Pump R 25-75%, then flip flop that schedule every hour.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did come up with a pretty effective way to setup the pumps to reproduce the benefits of true anti-sync in random. Just setting both pumps to random 0-100% has both pumps spending most of their time somewhere in the middle speeds, keeping the turbulence point between the two pumps in the middle third of the tank like 80% of the time.

It's a little tedious to setup, but here's what I did:
HourPump L Independent RandomPump R Independent Random
10-70%30-100%
230-100%0-70%
30-70%30-100%
4-24 hrsrepeat pattern...repeat pattern...
Well this took forever. Lol. But thanks for the idea. It would have just been so much easier to have a reverse child mode.

OP
OP
derekh

derekh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah there's really no excuse given one of the biggest advertised features of this pump was controllability. I actually really liked the alternating random schedule though. It was a LOT better than just keeping both pumps in random with the same range.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah there's really no excuse given one of the biggest advertised features of this pump was controllability. I actually really liked the alternating random schedule though. It was a LOT better than just keeping both pumps in random with the same range.
Yea I hope it works well. I replaced my mp40 with the second nero5, so well see how everything responds

OP
OP
derekh

derekh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah anti-sync works in pulse but it is broken in random mode. When in random, both pumps are stuck in straight sync regardless of what you set the phase to.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it not give you the ability to phase it 180 on random or you can phase it but it just dont work.

Sorry for all the questions.

Philip Haddock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to still be the same thing... Can anyone also confirm that the speed of the pump(s) only change every 60 seconds? How is that a considered a "high energy reef environment"?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 31.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back