Problems with phosphate reactor plz help

  • Thread starter Thread starter jdroath87
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jdroath87

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 13, 2012
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently installed a two little fishies phosphate reactor to combat a small amount of green hair algae. Everything appeared to be working great until about 3 days later. I have milky white water and my skimmer is going nuts, literally overflowing its cup every night. I bought the phsoban 150 reactor and used the two little fishies biopellets. I then borrowed my buddies UV sterilizer in hopes to cull some of the bacterial bloom. He also talked me into using rowaphos as it was "a better po4 remover". I can't get it to tumble really at all without it sending brown crap all over my tank. I did some testing today phosphates at about .25 so way higher then i want and for whatever reasons ive been reading 0 nitrates for over a year and they are now sitting at 40ppm. I also have a refugium with mud chaeto and cualerpa and still having phosphate and nitrate problems. Anyone have any advice what to do here.
 
I would remove the bio pellets and the phosban for now until you figure out the milky water problem. Did you start off slow with both?

It's also possible your caulerpa went sexual and is clouding your tank.
 
caulerpa is 3 days old so i really doubt it especially since the refugium is lit 24hrs and it is still very green. I did start slow and the bioplastics. the package said it could cause a cloudy bacterial bloom and it looked like that happened lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new