Programming based on time / date

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am still in the pre-purchase phase. @Vinny@GHLUSA has been very patient with my questions by email, so I suppose I figured I'd bug him here as well and maybe hear from other users like @Lasse as well.

I have looked through the manuals, the programming logic thread, and poked around the myGHL demo, but I guess there is only so much you can figure out without and actual Profilux to play with.

What I am trying to figure out is if it is possible to alter the programming based on time and date.

For example, I have two Gyre pumps, and would like to have a tidal pattern running.

So have one pump running stronger, increasing and then decreasing for around six hours, and then have the other going stronger. But it has waves within it, so it would be a a straight, run one pump for six hours then run the other.

From what I understand of the Stream Groups I can use two of those (or 4 if necessary) to set up the sequence I want.

So my question for that is, can I switch between Stream Groups based on the time?

So can I tell it to run Stream Group 1 from 06:00-12:00, then Group 2 from 12:00-18:00, then group 3 from 18:00-24:00 etc.?

I also have my current set up with an Apex Jr running my heaters so that there is a slight diurnal variation. So same kind of thing, use setting X from 12:00-18:00, setting y from 18:00-24:00 etc.

In terms of using the Date as an input I would like to be able to adjust various things on a seasonal basis. I know that the capability exists in the device through the excellent Illumination control, but I'd like to apply it to other systems as well.

Seasonality for the heaters is the main one.

I think it could be very interesting to have my pumps follow the lunar cycle (slightly) so that the "tides" are a bit stronger at the full and new moons etc...

I'd also think it would be interesting to be able to replicate the rainy season as well. There is the rain and storm simulation option already there, so altering the frequency of that based on the date would be good.

I know this is all a hit beyond the normal setup, so I am not expecting that it will be completely straightforward or easy. But is any of this possible?

In the Programmable Logic, are Date or Time available as Inputs?

Cheers, Tony

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) yes use the AND command -> Stream group 1 AND Timer 1 Stream group 2 AND timer 2 as an example
2) its already in the controller - if you want more options - use a virtual probe and the command AND plus a timer
3) Using date as an option - for the moment I have reached my incompetence level :)

Sincerely Lase

Last edited:

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) yes use the AND command -> Stream group 1 AND Timer 1 Stream group 2 AND timer 2 as an example
2) its already in the controller - if you want more options - use a virtual probe and the command AND plus a timer
3) Using date as an option - for the moment I have reached my incompetence level :)

Sincerely Lase
@lasse, Can you apply this to illumination settings as well? I am trying to use the illumination controls to do a specific alternating pattern on the pumps and want more than 12 plots.

So could it be for a certain pump:
PL1 - Illumination 3 and timer 1
PL2 -illumination 4 and timer 2
PL3 - PL1 AND PL2
And assign PL3 to the pump?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lasse, Can you apply this to illumination settings as well? I am trying to use the illumination controls to do a specific alternating pattern on the pumps and want more than 12 plots.

So could it be for a certain pump:
PL1 - Illumination 3 and timer 1
PL2 -illumination 4 and timer 2
PL3 - PL1 AND PL2
And assign PL3 to the pump?

Yes but I think you should change the PL3 to be PL1 OR PL2

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cmcoker
Excuse me - I was wrong - you cant use the PL function in order to achieve what you want - if you want to use the 1-10 V interface. There is not the function PL in the 1-10 V interface.

I´m sure there is a work around – I will come back later

Sincerely Lasse

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cmcoker What is it exactly you want to do and which types of pumps/streamers is involved?

Sincerely Lasse
I have 2 rw8s, in a 250L tank. They are on opposite sides of the tank, facing each other.
I was trying to have say, the left pump ramp up to create a gyre, with low flow from the right pump, run about 30 minutes. Then have the right pump start ramping up as the left pump ramp down, over about half an hour. Then let the right pump run at higher power for about half an hour. Repeating this kind of cycle through the day.
I guess I can have max 12 points on the dimming schedule so this pattern would have to be happening over hours, instead of 30 minute intervals.
I guess there is not a way to do this pattern exactly.
This picture is a pattern I was playing with to try and create the desired pattern, but I would want a plateau, instead of the peaks.
a5497eb20e48b2b05fa8903e991c660a.jpg

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cmcoker
Your right – you have only 24 break points. I think its possible to solve anyway but it will include a hardware fix (using two different L outlet to the same pump and connect the to one line. Let the first L channel run in the pattern ILL 10 in my example, the second L channel in the pattern of ILL 11 and merge this channel together in a hardware fix.

Screen Shot 12-15-17 at 10.37 AM.PNG

You probably need to let the channel go down to zero in the time they should merge to avoid interference but that you compensate with min voltage in the 1-10 V programming. If you set min V to 2V you will probably be near 40 % and I think it’s the lowest you can run a RW8 at. This is for the first pump - the other you have to figure out by your self :)

If you do this – I have not done it – you probably should check with @Vinny@GHLUSA if it could do any harm to your computer. But the best solution could be that GHL incorporate a PL function for the 1-10 V control

Sincerely Lasse

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 131 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back