Project Apex (Black Edition) by Elder1945

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally did not delete anything on our forum. I am not the key moderator. That said, we do not allow threads that deal with reverse engineering, modifying the base product, etc because it quasi endorses doing things that may be unsafe and untested. I have no problem personally if you wish to create your own look. You own it. Do your thing.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally did not delete anything on our forum. I am not the key moderator. That said, we do not allow threads that deal with reverse engineering, modifying the base product, etc because it quasi endorses doing things that may be unsafe and untested. I have no problem personally if you wish to create your own look. You own it. Do your thing.

Am i allowed to ask questions on Neptunes forum or is that past the "quasi" line?

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask away. However if you are posting images and ideas for modifying the case and asking what people think, that is probably not going to be cool. This is not something we want people doing. As it is there are many unknown factors due to how you have changed things around. Not saying it is any issue, but I would not want our customers to think it is somehow a good idea, sanctioned, or without significant risk.

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nonsense at all!!! Almost 200k potential members to admire the project and brand. Double morals interviewing lots of members with their stuff but not a dime for the advertising, trying to do something just awesome for fun, huge marketing channel for apex, they have their own "diy" chapter in their forum and just a nice comment from them then deleted. what the heck???
Thanks @Elder1945 for his brilliant talent and awesome job, apex has no idea what they are missing here, [emoji106][emoji225][emoji886]!!!

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clarification. I am speaking about our own company neptune systems community forum. Not reef2reef or the forums here. On R2R discuss anything you want. Our corporate forum site is different. Sorry if that was confusing.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask away. However if you are posting images and ideas for modifying the case and asking what people think, that is probably not going to be cool. This is not something we want people doing. As it is there are many unknown factors due to how you have changed things around. Not saying it is any issue, but I would not want our customers to think it is somehow a good idea, sanctioned, or without significant risk.

Ok... Sorry... Ill keep this build under wraps and only share it with the few hundred thousand ppl that view this forum.

Modding a $1000+ aquarium controller to the point of no return is never a good idea. This was just for fun on my end.. Way to rain on my fun :(. I do apologize if i stepped on some toes this was not my intention.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did come up with a sexy looking apex. Just my opinion about why you might not be getting love from Neptune on this. Us hobbyists applaude your DIY project, and understand you are just doing what you love, which seems to be designing/creating.

On Neptunes end, I believe due to all hate and time it took for them to battle the criticism of the look of the new Apex, maybe this build could be seen as a jab and somewhat mocking attitute towards their company's design?

Yes i can see how this could be taken.. This was not the intended purpose as i am making a over the top case.. I mean its solid stainless steel LOL.

Nonsense at all!!! Almost 200k potential members to admire the project and brand. Double morals interviewing lots of members with their stuff but not a dime for the advertising, trying to do something just awesome for fun, huge marketing channel for apex, they have their own "diy" chapter in their forum and just a nice comment from them then deleted. what the heck???
Thanks @Elder1945 for his brilliant talent and awesome job, apex has no idea what they are missing here, [emoji106][emoji225][emoji886]!!!

Thank you and I thought it was good advertising for them as well. Same as my controller boards i make..

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said. No toes stepped on. No worries. Mod away. Do realize though that it is more than just painting the case. Both the choice of enclosure material as well as the arrangement of the boards and using ribbon cables could lead to problems for you or other users - especially if they did not have your skills.

But seriously I personally have no problem at all with this thread or what you are undertaking.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you and I thought it was good advertising for them as well. Same as my controller boards i make..

Pretty sure customer service people and the lawyers over at Neptune wouldn't agree. This is the one time I can honesty see their point of view, and semi- agree with Neptune, as not many living on this water filled rock have your talent with these things. People will try and copy, ultimately fail, if its on their website, there maybe some liabilities???

Now more time to spend building my GHL cabinetry ![emoji12] [emoji106]

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said. No toes stepped on. No worries. Mod away. Do realize though that it is more than just painting the case. Both the choice of enclosure material as well as the arrangement of the boards and using ribbon cables could lead to problems for you or other users - especially if they did not have your skills.

But seriously I personally have no problem at all with this thread or what you are undertaking.

I get that... Just disheartening when the first feedback from Neptune on this project is deleting my thead on Neptunes "Corporate" fourm. A simple warning as stated above would probably done wonders. Or just a mod msging me first explaining to me what is going on. That would of gone a long way.

I guess i should have realized this was a no no for the neptune community to see. I get it though :).

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure customer service people and the lawyers over at Neptune wouldn't agree. This is the one time I can honesty see their point of view, and semi- agree with Neptune, as not many living on this water filled rock have your talent with these things. People will try and copy, ultimately fail, if its on their website, there maybe some liabilities???

Now more time to spend building my GHL cabinetry ![emoji12] [emoji106]

I can see it as well... just never crossed my mind tbh. Just frustrating as this was supposed to be fun.

I was about to start a build with the ghl controller.. I must admit i love mine.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! :)

We have a enclosure that is flat !!! LOL.. More work to be done but needed the sizing and to see how it all fit. I can now spend my time jazzing it up.
First attempt.....

Flat Apex..

Window in top..

\
Actual amount of times to get the fit just right..

:p

More to come..
These are 3d printed parts?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got threatened by the Zippo corporation a few years ago for making leather cases that were nicer than theirs and I used the word zippo in the adverts! ;)

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elder if this works I would love to buy one as I don't like the look of the new apex and if it crashes my system well it's done that in its original casing so nbd.

I get apex side I get ur side and agree they should have sent u some clarification instead of yoinkimg it down I mean if someone was like o let me do this because he did without realizing the potential problems well then maby they shoudnt be looking at how to make the apex look good but please don't stop having fun because of them. They want u to be control freaks but only with what they let you control.

I enjoy ur diy skills and wish I had the time and money to do what u do with everything you touch because it is amazing truly amazing I mean u made the new apex look good that's a tough task to undertake. Thank you and please keep having fun

Mohammad D. ALMUTAIRI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elder.
in reality "creativity" is something that most companies "Neptune" included HATE so much when it comes to things they create.
specially when the look of their APEX was so much put to sword by people who saw it.

being skillful in DIY makes you a dangerous creature to these people, you show off and shine in a spot they can't even come close to. that's why they will always rather "delete" instead of talking and make their point of view open to public and clarify the reasoning for such action, and maybe making it public to whoever see's the threat and the work you are doing and making sure they are advising against it for all the reason's they want to say.

in the end DON'T STOP, ever on doing creative things and showing off your skills and great imagination in creating things that both amaze us and makes us feel a joyful happiness about a project that not even ours :)

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following and if you ever sell the case and instructions I would totally do it
This ofcorse is wy they ditched your thead. I agree the case is lame, rack mounted hwd / profiles is tried and true space saving and efficient

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have no issues with just keeping it home at R2R.

Yea, I think I will stay here and will endorse people to move away from other forums.

These are 3d printed parts?

Nope all CNC as of now....

Elder if this works I would love to buy one as I don't like the look of the new apex and if it crashes my system well it's done that in its original casing so nbd.

I get apex side I get ur side and agree they should have sent u some clarification instead of yoinkimg it down I mean if someone was like o let me do this because he did without realizing the potential problems well then maby they shoudnt be looking at how to make the apex look good but please don't stop having fun because of them. They want u to be control freaks but only with what they let you control.

I enjoy ur diy skills and wish I had the time and money to do what u do with everything you touch because it is amazing truly amazing I mean u made the new apex look good that's a tough task to undertake. Thank you and please keep having fun

Thank you! I am going to re make the port plate to read "Control Freak but only on things we ok" LOL..

Elder.
in reality "creativity" is something that most companies "Neptune" included HATE so much when it comes to things they create.
specially when the look of their APEX was so much put to sword by people who saw it.

being skillful in DIY makes you a dangerous creature to these people, you show off and shine in a spot they can't even come close to. that's why they will always rather "delete" instead of talking and make their point of view open to public and clarify the reasoning for such action, and maybe making it public to whoever see's the threat and the work you are doing and making sure they are advising against it for all the reason's they want to say.

in the end DON'T STOP, ever on doing creative things and showing off your skills and great imagination in creating things that both amaze us and makes us feel a joyful happiness about a project that not even ours :)

Yea to companys like Neptune I get ZERO appreciation but on the other hand companys like GHL, Vertex, Orphek, Tunze and quite a few more actualy support what i do. Even to the point of helping me behind the scenes. I guess when your projects are taking over google analytics Companys jump on board.. I mean my last interview i did on my old tank only has 200k + views on youtube....... I have never understood Neptune in this regard. Each there own though.

This ofcorse is wy they ditched your thead. I agree the case is lame, rack mounted hwd / profiles is tried and true space saving and efficient

Yes, I agree i am going to think about what my future is going to be working on Apex related things. I have quite a few builds in mind but see no personal need to support a company that does not support me. To many other companys in this industry have a open mind and are "cool" and "hip" LOL.

Last edited:

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should just do what you do, cause you like to do it. Your really good at what you do. Do you really need a ,"good job" from Neptune?

I'm just Dan. But Good job!!!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back