Proper dosage of copersafe

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by Kevinkmk, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk Active Member

hi everyone,

The product suggested 5ml/4 gallon dosage of Coppersafe but the copper level will be around 1.16-1.17 which are not in the therapeutic(1.5-2).
    I have slowly raise to 2ml per gallon as @Humblefish suggested in the other thread, but my api test kit is showing more than 2pm? Please help me see if the test is within the therapeutic range or not. I’m terrible at reading color. Thank you! A6C94AE8-2DF3-4656-B409-6E1C84D4008E.jpeg 4091D929-9F2A-4BA5-8BAB-A652D62C1B96.jpeg

2. PGT253

PGT253 Active Member

I remember @Brew12 suggests that you make a reference sample (1 gallon of sw + ~2.1 ml coppersafe = ~2 ppm) and compare the colors.

Kevinkmk likes this.
  3. PGT253

PGT253 Active Member

Double post

4. lagatbezan

lagatbezan Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I think its best to have the tube lifted up a little from the paper before reading it but I too hate reading these kits! They are horrible and always has me guessing so I usually go with the 2ml/gal and tend not to bother with testing as long as its in a qt with no sand or rocks that can absorb it.

Big G, Smo, Kevinkmk and 1 other person like this.
  5. Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk Active Member

Yes it look like the 2 ppm I mixed with my 1 gallon test water. However just want someone to comfirm. Btw my fishes are still showing sigh of ich after the 3 days of treament

6. USMC 4 LIFE

USMC 4 LIFE Well-Known Member

As someone mentioned before, lift the tube up slightly and read it in natural sunlight.

Copper takes a week or two remove symptoms of ich. Keep the fish in therapeutic range for 30 consecutive days.

7. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Delaware Reef Club

Copper only affects the swimming stage of the parasite. Unfortunately it doesn't do anything for the parasites that are currently on the fish. That's why the treatment is 30 days with copper, you are waiting out the lifecycles of the parasite until it reaches the swimming stage.

Humblefish, Brew12, Big G and 3 others like this.
  8. Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk Active Member

Thank you all!

TheEngineer likes this.
  9. lagatbezan

lagatbezan Active Member Build Thread Contributor

If you see the fish is not handling the copper too well, you can transfer it after 14 days of being in therapeutic level to a brand new sterile tank at least 10 feet away. Only the fish should be transferred and no equipment.

4FordFamily and Kevinkmk like this.
  10. Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk Active Member

Is it okay for me to add new fish to the qt during last week of the 30 days?

11. PGT253

PGT253 Active Member

If you add new fish to a copper-dosed qt that is already at therapeutic level, you'll most likely kill them.

Maritimer and Kevinkmk like this.
  12. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Delaware Reef Club

No, it isn't. You'd start your 30 days over again. The 30 days captures most (but not all) of the time within which the free swimmers would be in the water. If you add new fish, you might miss when they drop off and infect/reinfect all of the fish.

lagatbezan, Gmj4409 and Kevinkmk like this.
  13. Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk Active Member

It looks like I need to setup another qt if I buy new fish in the first 30 days

14. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member 2019

Yes, or buy them in batches (saves shipping, too!)

15. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member 2019 North Alabama Reef Club

This +1

And keep in mind that you aren't seeing the parasite on the fish. You are seeing mucus secretions from the entrance wounds from the parasite. Ich can feed on a fish for up to 7 days before dropping off. These spots then need time to heal. After 2 or 3 days you should stop seeing new spots forming. That is the first positive sign I look for.

16. Gmj4409

Gmj4409 Active Member R2R Supporter

All good ideas. I added the Chemetrics Copper Test (little pricey) after I overdosed using API. I now use both tests. I start with the Chemetrics & then doublecheck with API. Helps me sleep better :)

Humblefish and Brew12 like this.
  17. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member 2019 North Alabama Reef Club

The Chemetrics set gave me hope. Until I saw the accuracy range. + or - 1/2 the visual standard range. So 2ppm could be 1.5ppm to 2.5ppm. And that is when testing fresh water. They don't state what the accuracy is when used with salt water but it does require a slightly different procedure.

Gmj4409 likes this.
  18. Gmj4409

Gmj4409 Active Member R2R Supporter

Yes - I’m with you. I believe the process change for saltwater is to do the sample comparison at the 1 minute mark rather than 2 minute. I saw your original post on accuracy range and it made me sad! That is when I resurrected the API test to use with the Chemetrics Test. The combination seems to work. I just finished 2 separate 10g QTs without any casualties. There should be an easier way!

Brew12 likes this.
  19. Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk Active Member

Hi, it’s been 11 days since the copper has reach the therapeutic level, but my fishes are still showing sign of ich. Also, the Midas blend has red sore on its gill. Any thought?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  20. TheEngineer

What you see on the fish is their body's response to the parasite, not the parasite itself. The copper only treats the free swimming stage of the life cycle. The parasite can stay on the fish from 5-7 days before dropping off. You should see their condition start to improve.

I don't know about the red sore. I'm sure you'll be asked, so please post a picture and current tank parameters.

Brew12 and Big G like this.
  21. Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk Active Member

56546724-56FE-47FE-A3CC-A3A9885E570F.jpeg
    Thanks. So two weeks there should be no more white spot? Qt tank 0 ammonia, temp 78, alk 8.

Draft saved Draft deleted