Proper dosage of copersafe

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone,

The product suggested 5ml/4 gallon dosage of Coppersafe but the copper level will be around 1.16-1.17 which are not in the therapeutic(1.5-2).
I have slowly raise to 2ml per gallon as @Humblefish suggested in the other thread, but my api test kit is showing more than 2pm? Please help me see if the test is within the therapeutic range or not. I’m terrible at reading color. Thank you!
A6C94AE8-2DF3-4656-B409-6E1C84D4008E.jpeg
4091D929-9F2A-4BA5-8BAB-A652D62C1B96.jpeg

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember @Brew12 suggests that you make a reference sample (1 gallon of sw + ~2.1 ml coppersafe = ~2 ppm) and compare the colors.

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its best to have the tube lifted up a little from the paper before reading it but I too hate reading these kits! They are horrible and always has me guessing so I usually go with the 2ml/gal and tend not to bother with testing as long as its in a qt with no sand or rocks that can absorb it.

OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember @Brew12 suggests that you make a reference sample (1 gallon of sw + ~2.1 ml coppersafe = ~2 ppm) and compare the colors.

Yes it look like the 2 ppm I mixed with my 1 gallon test water. However just want someone to comfirm. Btw my fishes are still showing sigh of ich after the 3 days of treament

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it look like the 2 ppm I mixed with my 1 gallon test water. However just want someone to comfirm. Btw my fishes are still showing sigh of ich after the 3 days of treament
Copper only affects the swimming stage of the parasite. Unfortunately it doesn't do anything for the parasites that are currently on the fish. That's why the treatment is 30 days with copper, you are waiting out the lifecycles of the parasite until it reaches the swimming stage.

OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see the fish is not handling the copper too well, you can transfer it after 14 days of being in therapeutic level to a brand new sterile tank at least 10 feet away. Only the fish should be transferred and no equipment.
Is it okay for me to add new fish to the qt during last week of the 30 days?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it okay for me to add new fish to the qt during last week of the 30 days?
No, it isn't. You'd start your 30 days over again. The 30 days captures most (but not all) of the time within which the free swimmers would be in the water. If you add new fish, you might miss when they drop off and infect/reinfect all of the fish.

OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add new fish to a copper-dosed qt that is already at therapeutic level, you'll most likely kill them.
No, it isn't. You'd start your 30 days over again. The 30 days captures most (but not all) of the time within which the free swimmers would be in the water. If you add new fish, you might miss when they drop off and infect/reinfect all of the fish.

It looks like I need to setup another qt if I buy new fish in the first 30 days

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like I need to setup another qt if I buy new fish in the first 30 days
Yes, or buy them in batches (saves shipping, too!)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper only affects the swimming stage of the parasite. Unfortunately it doesn't do anything for the parasites that are currently on the fish. That's why the treatment is 30 days with copper, you are waiting out the lifecycles of the parasite until it reaches the swimming stage.
This +1

And keep in mind that you aren't seeing the parasite on the fish. You are seeing mucus secretions from the entrance wounds from the parasite. Ich can feed on a fish for up to 7 days before dropping off. These spots then need time to heal. After 2 or 3 days you should stop seeing new spots forming. That is the first positive sign I look for.

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its best to have the tube lifted up a little from the paper before reading it but I too hate reading these kits! They are horrible and always has me guessing so I usually go with the 2ml/gal and tend not to bother with testing as long as its in a qt with no sand or rocks that can absorb it.
All good ideas. I added the Chemetrics Copper Test (little pricey) after I overdosed using API. I now use both tests. I start with the Chemetrics & then doublecheck with API. Helps me sleep better :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good ideas. I added the Chemetrics Copper Test (little pricey) after I overdosed using API. I now use both tests. I start with the Chemetrics & then doublecheck with API. Helps me sleep better :)
The Chemetrics set gave me hope. Until I saw the accuracy range. + or - 1/2 the visual standard range. So 2ppm could be 1.5ppm to 2.5ppm. And that is when testing fresh water. They don't state what the accuracy is when used with salt water but it does require a slightly different procedure.

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Chemetrics set gave me hope. Until I saw the accuracy range. + or - 1/2 the visual standard range. So 2ppm could be 1.5ppm to 2.5ppm. And that is when testing fresh water. They don't state what the accuracy is when used with salt water but it does require a slightly different procedure.
Yes - I’m with you. I believe the process change for saltwater is to do the sample comparison at the 1 minute mark rather than 2 minute. I saw your original post on accuracy range and it made me sad! That is when I resurrected the API test to use with the Chemetrics Test. The combination seems to work. I just finished 2 separate 10g QTs without any casualties. There should be an easier way!

OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This +1

And keep in mind that you aren't seeing the parasite on the fish. You are seeing mucus secretions from the entrance wounds from the parasite. Ich can feed on a fish for up to 7 days before dropping off. These spots then need time to heal. After 2 or 3 days you should stop seeing new spots forming. That is the first positive sign I look for.

Hi, it’s been 11 days since the copper has reach the therapeutic level, but my fishes are still showing sign of ich. Also, the Midas blend has red sore on its gill. Any thought?

Last edited:

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you see on the fish is their body's response to the parasite, not the parasite itself. The copper only treats the free swimming stage of the life cycle. The parasite can stay on the fish from 5-7 days before dropping off. You should see their condition start to improve.

I don't know about the red sore. I'm sure you'll be asked, so please post a picture and current tank parameters.

OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
56546724-56FE-47FE-A3CC-A3A9885E570F.jpeg
What you see on the fish is their body's response to the parasite, not the parasite itself. The copper only treats the free swimming stage of the life cycle. The parasite can stay on the fish from 5-7 days before dropping off. You should see their condition start to improve.

I don't know about the red sore. I'm sure you'll be asked, so please post a picture and current tank parameters.

Thanks. So two weeks there should be no more white spot? Qt tank 0 ammonia, temp 78, alk 8.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back