PSA from R2R about rude posting and personal attacks

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
People aren't being nice?

Well... Ban them, see them driven before you, so we can hear the lamentation of their fishies.
Embarrassed Shame GIF

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, it's why I'm not posting here much anymore. This forum was a lot friendlier only a year ago when I joined. It's a hobby, people. Let people experiment and do things their way instead of going after them. Seems to me like a bunch of "well-known" members have become very snide. Can't post a legitimate (if uninformed) question without somebody making a wisecrack or telling the original poster to go google it. Lighten up, people. No wonder lots of new hobbyists are going to Facebook groups and small forums, this one can get about as toxic as a tank of palythoas.

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was nice to see this topic and post brought up.
This is a hobby and learning network/forum and what many need to consider:
This hobby is one of enjoyment, collecting and for some therapeutic as we have members who have cancer and other illnesses and divorced and alone and this hobby provides peace for them.
What we dont know is who they really are, what hardships they are going through, if they are losing a loved one, going through financial hardships, perhaps are about to lose their car or home or both. . . . . . .
AND HOW DARE CERTAIN PERSONS, come on here, and mock, jeer, criticize and call others names , when they too may be going through the same hardships.
Respect is the easiest tool we can offer others and to impose such behavior is an example of lack of self respect , compassion and ruthlessness.
To see someone on here struggling and to have one comment" Maybe you need to find a different hobby" is degrading and gives one a feeling of worthlessness.
I hope this is greatly enforced by staff and people take a minute to be thankful to have a tank and afford such a hobby and not reply to a post if they cannot do so in support and respectfully.
This world is tough enough already - Don't make it harder for someone who needs to converse rather than regretting they asked a simple question.
This is a great group and it's up to every individual to keep it that way.
I came across this meme a couple years ago and it’s always stood out in my memory. I think it goes along with what you said.

1683252520720.jpeg

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must miss all the beefs, its an overall good experience on here for me, yeah some things are moderated so I assume something was going on but I've already missed it. The moderators do a great job and it seems the community keeps its self inline pretty well. I'm sure this is a necessary thread just like a friendly police officer driving down the neighborhood to remind everyone there's still laws in place. Just smile and wave, and thanks for your service! :) :)

R2RTrendyClownLogoOulinesshadowThickerBubble.png

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revhtree I think now would be a good time for me to advocate for a “snarky” badge to be created and awarded. Just so people understand the person behind the comments ;)
“WIDAS - When In Doubt, Assume Sarcasm “ Badge?

Groovyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was nice to see this topic and post brought up.
This is a hobby and learning network/forum and what many need to consider:
This hobby is one of enjoyment, collecting and for some therapeutic as we have members who have cancer and other illnesses and divorced and alone and this hobby provides peace for them.
What we dont know is who they really are, what hardships they are going through, if they are losing a loved one, going through financial hardships, perhaps are about to lose their car or home or both. . . . . . .
AND HOW DARE CERTAIN PERSONS, come on here, and mock, jeer, criticize and call others names , when they too may be going through the same hardships.
Respect is the easiest tool we can offer others and to impose such behavior is an example of lack of self respect , compassion and ruthlessness.
To see someone on here struggling and to have one comment" Maybe you need to find a different hobby" is degrading and gives one a feeling of worthlessness.
I hope this is greatly enforced by staff and people take a minute to be thankful to have a tank and afford such a hobby and not reply to a post if they cannot do so in support and respectfully.
This world is tough enough already - Don't make it harder for someone who needs to converse rather than regretting they asked a simple question.
This is a great group and it's up to every individual to keep it that way.
Thank you for you post… so very tru. I am immune compromised and very limited in social contact. My reef tank and this we sight is just loads of fun. I spend happy hours reading posts, looking at v posted videos and posted photos. It’s a points of socialization that helps keep me sane. I am a newbie, ask stupid questions and hope to be accepted just the same! Loving and learning.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad this isn’t FB because I spend more time blocking there than conversing

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 years on here and greeting new members daily . And I am still waiting for a hospitality badge .
I was beginning to think they were a thing of the passed , or I need to review my other comments and posts as well .

Should I apologize now just in case this post has anything to do with my behaviour
Careful what you wish for! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Groovyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate these words. You have personally helped me learn a tremendous amount and I’m sure that most if not all of my questions were “noob” questions. I personally started this hobby due to loving all the colors, but mainly to battle an addiction that I’ve been fighting for some time. Reefing represents a sense of inner peace to me, and the ability to be present, which is the opposite of my addiction. The solutions you’ve provided, in specific the way to go about the tangs I want to buy and that I could add a baby hippo tang to my 93 gal, were actually some of the brightest moments on some of the very dark days I’ve recently had. Thank you.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back