Pufferfish Beginner or Advanced?

Cap’n Bork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone for being so kind and helpful here, seriously, you all make a scared newbie feel welcome. So here’s what I’m wanting advice on. I understand the idea of getting the biggest tank you can afford, while also keeping in mind what you intend to have in said tank. Right now I’m looking at probably a 75 gallon tank at most given my space constraints currently. And ideally what I want, what I’ve always wanted is to have a Pufferfish but I’ve read so much mixed information that I’ve come seeking advice.

#1) Would a Puffer be a bad choice for someone new to the hobby? I realize there’s several species, some more aggressive than others, as well as some that require a larger tank which leads me to question 2.

#2) Can I accommodate a Pufferfish in a 75 gallon? I mean, would it be happy? I’d hate for it to feel constrained.

I’ve read so much conflicting information about puffers so I’m not sure what to actually believe. Some sites say they’re very beginner friendly with a few caveats, namely they are voracious eaters, and they can be quite the bullies to tank mates. Other sites say they’re more advanced and you need special accommodations for them. If anyone here has experience or pearls of wisdom I’d love to hear about it. Thanks!

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things to keep in mind for puffers... Their beak continues to grow similar to a rat and needs to be worn down. They can and typically do go after some coral at some point... a clean up crew can be challenging to maintain with most puffers. A proper diet with hard shelled items is a must and thus the typical "advanced" rating. Puffers don't handle copper medications which complicates things when it comes to treating them for ich and velvet. I don't see why a beginner can't have one (I did, rehomed after false accusing it of killing a few coral).

Toby puffers like the Valentini are great for a tank that size.

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any freshwater experience? I ask because it makes it easier to have any fish experience versus none. It’s very possible for a newbie to keep a puffer, but they are certainly a difficult fish.
Beyond diet, puffers are far more sensitive to swings in parameters than other fish. Different species beaks grow at different rates. The freshwater Amazon puffer grows so fast that food can’t even keep it trim, and it must manually be done. Most others aren’t so bad.
In a 75 a Toby or Valentini would work best. If you want something that resembles a porcupine more, green spotted puffer is a very attractive fish.
I will note, puffers are very aggressive (especially gsp, little devils), so tankmates must be chosen wisely.
I’d recommend breeding snails for them so you always have a lasting food source and don’t have to buy them yourself. These can be as simple as the freshwater pond or rams horn snails. Just train the puffer to eat them. Shrimp is also great for them. They will nip at coral, many aquarists will keep fast growing coral just to frag and feed to the puffer.
Key for puffer diets is variety. Focusing too much on hard shelled food is good for the beak, but deprives it of other nutrients. Conversely, never feeding hard food will cause their beaks to uncontrollably grow.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back