Puffers: Reef Compatibility?

Jongalt26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your brittle star? I have numerous small ones but no large ones and dont have any issues.
I believe this is fish personality specific though (as it is with a lot of reef caution fish, even though porc's are typically NRS)

I was very skeptical about picking up my porc but my LFS had the puffers in individual tanks where they were monitored for 4 weeks with inverts. Out of the 5 puffers they had only 2 didn't bother the inverts (mine and a valentini)
Also my LFS would let me return the fish for store credit in the event that an issue arose.

I've been lucky so far. Also, porcupine puffers are sensitive to copper. I dont know if other puffers are as well. Mine didn't have any issues with CP nor Hyposalinity.

Steve Tobias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your brittle star? I have numerous small ones but no large ones and dont have any issues.
I believe this is fish personality specific though (as it is with a lot of reef caution fish, even though porc's are typically NRS)

I was very skeptical about picking up my porc but my LFS had the puffers in individual tanks where they were monitored for 4 weeks with inverts. Out of the 5 puffers they had only 2 didn't bother the inverts (mine and a valentini)
Also my LFS would let me return the fish for store credit in the event that an issue arose.

I've been lucky so far. Also, porcupine puffers are sensitive to copper. I dont know if other puffers are as well. Mine didn't have any issues with CP nor Hyposalinity.

I often forget the brittle star is in there I see him so rarely and then every once in a while... oh there he is!!! his button is about .75" tentacle extension probably 2 plus inches per. My LF S guy is great so he would agree to most anything I suggest... I love the post above about seeing if I can get him to set up a tank with some inverts and corals and watch how things progress. I am really enjoying the thought of introducing one into my tank and I am leaning that way. Would he/she be useful with the asterina stars? I don't have a ton, but they go up and down with population explosion from time to time.

Last edited:

Jongalt26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea if you can get your LFS to help that would be awesome.
Im assuming you mean Asterina stars, my puffer doesnt bother those at all, unfortunately.
But supposedly Harlequin shrimp will (i've wanted on of these for years haha :) And those shrimp are gorgeous but will eat itself into starvation unless supplemented with additional starfish (and im sure your brittle will be on it's dinner plate as well)

pkarlen78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a valentini puffer. He terrorized my large brittle star. I actually caught him in my fish trap using the brittle start as bait! I loved that fish, but he couldn't stay.

Jckisko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Valentini, dwarf zebra, assorted corals and snails, and a banded coral shrimp cohabitating peacefully. Added a fire shrimp and it was as if the dinner gong rang... :eek:

Rvamalibu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a valentini in our mixed 150g and we have everything from monti to acro and hammers to brains from rock anemones to bubble tip anemones and mushrooms to palys and ours has only nipped at the open brain a couple times. Doesn't bother anything now not even the peppermints or the scarlet or blood red not even the emerald crab or the Pom Pom crab but the key is to keep them well fed.
Also he was one of the last fishies added.

Obxcarver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a valentini puffer in a 220g with Xenia, zoas, 3 emerald crabs, 2 skunk cleaners - full grown, and several snails. He doesnt bother anybody. He was added close to last. He became our favorite very quickly. He cuddles up to the same rock each night to sleep. It's the cutest thing ever.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pass on it. I've been trying to get my valentini out for weeks. I can dang near grab it with my hand. Gone as soon as the net touches the water. It messed with my cleaner shrimp, snipping off all of its tentacles then started nipping at the ends of my acros

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a porc puffer, the only thing it nipped at was some clove polyps and my fingers, plus there was the one time he decided to go floor surfing by hanging on to my shirt. His puppy dog attitude, ability to spit water to get attention and easy to anthropomorphize eyes make him a family favorite. I've had no issues with him eating any clean-up crew (shrimp, snails, crabs, lobster)
I buy large quantities of snails and crabs assuming my porcupine puffer will eat them. One time I bought a big feather duster. I put it in my tank, turned to call my wife to come see, turned back and it was gone.

My point is, puffers are like dogs. They are very inquisitive and learn by nipping, chewing, and spitting out.
The ones I had nipped duncans, wellsos, acans, and clams. They were fine with most other corals

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a few different puffers as they are my favorite fish.

Porcs are normally ok with coral apart from they are clumsy and can break SPS etc. but mine have always eaten the clean up crew. Actively blowing the sand to look for snails.
One piece I had also took out any fish he could fit in his mouth including pulling two clowns out of their nem.

All the other puffers I have had have taken a liking to any LPS in the tank. I'm looking to see if I can set my next tank up with certain soft corals and a golden puffer but it will be very dependent on the temperament of the individual.

Steve Tobias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am going to give a puffer a shot. (not until next month) I have decided to set up my QT with a few different types of frags that my LFS is going to let me have and then see what happens with a puffer he has. If one doesn't work we have agreed to let me return him and try another until we find a suitable inhabitant.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had a valentini and dog face. Valentini was fine with all corals but would kill the snails or hermits. He never messed with my cleaner shrimp.

DF was by far the coolest fish i've owned and the most destructive fish i've ever owned when it came to coral. He would chomp on everything, sps, lps, softies....it didnt matter what type as he killed it all. Had to remove him.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back