Puffers: Reef Compatibility?

Steve Tobias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All:

I promised a picture of "hiccup" our new Blue Dot Toby. I had to take the plunge on a Toby since that is what everyone calls me.
2016-10-12-hiccup.jpg

Steve Tobias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been paying very close attention to the corals but have not seen any signs of anything. He does not seem to be bothering them, but what would you suggest I look for? Are there any specific corals that might be more to his fancy?

OP
OP
jwhann6

jwhann6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been paying very close attention to the corals but have not seen any signs of anything. He does not seem to be bothering them, but what would you suggest I look for? Are there any specific corals that might be more to his fancy?

I asked out of curiosity, I'm not sure what you should really look for, but most of the comments in the thread mention softies and lps. Hope he's doing well, and thanks for contributing to the thread!

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's he doing Steve? I just got a porcupine in my 300. No nipping so far

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Valentini in my SPS Reef. There were a few LPS scattered in there too before I removed them. He doesn't bother anything. I have yet to see any nipping. He's also been fine with my cleanup crew, which consists of astreas, two different starfish, a cleaner shrimp, and some emerald crabs.

He's a model citizen, and has been a great addition to the tank.

IMG_1322.JPG

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Valentini in my SPS Reef. There were a few LPS scattered in there too before I removed them. He doesn't bother anything. I have yet to see any nipping. He's also been fine with my cleanup crew, which consists of astreas, two different starfish, a cleaner shrimp, and some emerald crabs.

He's a model citizen, and has been a great addition to the tank.

IMG_1322.JPG

Jealous as my Blue Spotted was a beast! It is a pure gamble!

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely is I took the gamble because I have an office softie tank I could have thrown him in if there were issues. Very cool fish and if you can get a good one it's totally worth it. He's always out front begging for food.

Harris3005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Valentini was fine for a while but after about 6 months he started eating corals and nipping at my clownfish, ended up rehoming it to a friend who has a fish only tank. Probably my favourite fish I've ever had but I would not recommend them with corals!

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept one for abt 5 months which for that time it was a model tank tenant...and then it took liking to my mushrooms and clownfish fins so back to the lfs he went....it rly is a gamble

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are there any other types of fish that have similar personalities or boldness but are more reef safe?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back