Puffers & reef

twnturbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i always thought puffers weren't reef safe but i've seen a few in reef tanks since looking around ,are there certain ones that are reef safe ,setting up a reef currently & looking at my fish options.

RockRash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i always thought puffers weren't reef safe but i've seen a few in reef tanks since looking around ,are there certain ones that are reef safe ,setting up a reef currently & looking at my fish options.
From what I've read the toby puffer is is reef safe with caution. I've seen videos of people that had no problems and ones that they had to remove after a day. There was a thread the other day in the discussion forum with a poll asking who had puffers. There was a few here that had them. I dont know how to link but if you search it should come up.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There will always be exceptions to the norm that being said I would never ever put any pufferfish in a reef tank. By definition they eat inverts and are a predatory fish even the small ones. Some may have success when they are younger but longterm I believe it’s an extremely bad idea. They create so much waste, are incredibly curious intelligent critters and when mixed with corals many become coral nippers, and do best in a fowlr setup in my opinion and experience.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a blue spotted puffer that ate coral (or at least chewed on them)

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puffers have more personality than most fish, and are probably more individual/less predictable. I have a Canthigaster valentini (female) that is not aggressive to any other fish except at eating time when she will bump them out of the way, even my tiny clown goby which 'puffy' could eat in two bites is perfectly safe. She loves nassarius and will occasionally pick off other snails, especially if they are upside down or new and different. However she does not bother any corals or my skunk cleaner shrimp. I do keep her very well fed, and others have not been so lucky with the same species.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back