Quarantine From Online Supplier?

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on a quarantine process for new fish? I am thinking about buying a Sailfin, Hippo, and/or possibly a convict tang from an online retailer. I have never done a QT tank before, but i have enough livestock that i dont want to risk it. I currently have a 10 gallon for growing copopods setup. I have never freshwater dipped or medicated before. Is it good practice to do one or both regardless of seeing any issues or should you QT and only treat if you see signs of disease? If medicate any suggestions?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on a quarantine process for new fish? I am thinking about buying a Sailfin, Hippo, and/or possibly a convict tang from an online retailer. I have never done a QT tank before, but i have enough livestock that i dont want to risk it. I currently have a 10 gallon for growing copopods setup. I have never freshwater dipped or medicated before. Is it good practice to do one or both regardless of seeing any issues or should you QT and only treat if you see signs of disease? If medicate any suggestions?
My feelings are that if you have fish that haven't been treated in your DT than medicating new additions proactively isn't worth the effort. There is still value in treating symptoms in a QT but odds are you have diseases/parasites in your system being held in check by your fishes immune system.

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you choose not to QT. Which was my choice.
I recommend buying from Aquatic Cove. They at least keep most of their fish in Hypo and Copper. I am not saying that is QT but it is probably better than nothing.
Plus you can see the fish. Notice if it is fat or not and possibly even watch it for a week or so, provided nobody buys it.
He also gets tiny Hippos that are captive bred. That is what I got from him and she is a beauty. 2 years old now and a pig. She has really grown.

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, my tank has had/has ich, flukes, and lympho. These things only ever pop up when I stress the tank adding more fish. After a couple weeks they are always gone. Visibly gone at least.

I believe I read in Steves build thread that he may not QT again if he ever starts another tank. I would listen to his opinion on QT as he has really put a lot of thought into his QT process. Hopefully he will chime in here. @Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, my tank has had/has ich, flukes, and lympho. These things only ever pop up when I stress the tank adding more fish. After a couple weeks they are always gone. Visibly gone at least.
Well, I did chime in a bit earlier but I can add a little more.

What you are describing is very common in a system where disease is managed and not eradicated. Most people never know they have parasites in their system until a stressful even occurs. It can be adding a fish that causes aggression or something like a pump or heater failure. If it is a minor issue, you may see symptoms for a bit and then the fish recovers and parasite numbers are reduced again. Where it gets dangerous is if parasite levels reach a point where the fish can no longer fight the parasites off on their own. This can lead a situation where many tank inhabitants are lost. I do believe that if I ever had Ich or Velvet in my tank, I would lose most of my fish. 5 tangs in a 187g system would be a recipe for disaster imo. If I would have a less aggressively stocked tank, I would not do any QT.

I don't think either way is right or wrong. You need to look at your end goals and figure out which way you need to go.

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you are describing is very common in a system where disease is managed and not eradicated. Most people never know they have parasites in their system until a stressful even occurs. It can be adding a fish that causes aggression or something like a pump or heater failure. If it is a minor issue, you may see symptoms for a bit and then the fish recovers and parasite numbers are reduced again. Where it gets dangerous is if parasite levels reach a point where the fish can no longer fight the parasites off on their own. This can lead a situation where many tank inhabitants are lost.

I think this is a reasonable point but it does neglect one aspect of disease and immunity. I think there’s an expectation here that a healthy immune system is enough to fight off infections. We all get sick with rather innocuous things periodically and shake those things off and some people are immunosuppressed for one reason or another and die from the same infection (analogous to what you’re saying) but I think you should consider that a competent immune system is often not all that is required for dealing with pathogens that are often not rare (polio virus, plague, various other things throughout history have been common enough when there wasn’t adequate medical treatment available yet).

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a minor issue, you may see symptoms for a bit and then the fish recovers and parasite numbers are reduced again. Where it gets dangerous is if parasite levels reach a point where the fish can no longer fight the parasites off on their own. This can lead a situation where many tank inhabitants are lost. I do believe that if I ever had Ich or Velvet in my tank, I would lose most of my fish. 5 tangs in a 187g system would be a recipe for disaster imo.

Sorry @Brew12. I had already typed something earlier and didn’t notice later that others had responded when I finally pushed send.
Anyways. You are right. I do have a yellow tang and Hippo (captive bred) that have been in the tank 2 years(since the start). My situation is a tenuous one since I know the tank has diseases. I have grown this Hippo from a quarter size. I will be pretty down if she ever gets too sick.
But I also don’t think I will ever QT, even though I have much respect for those that do.

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I would still buy from Aquatic Cove over an internet supplier. Either way... at least then you can see that it is healthy in size and appearance before purchase. An internet supplier can send you a skinny little fish that is hurting.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought fish from Saltwaterfish.com, Liveaquaria.com, and Bluezooaquatics.com. I never got a fish that I thought was substandard. Well, I did get one. I bought 15 yellowtail damsels and one of them was swimming in loops when I put them in the tank. It was MIA the next day. The fish were 4.99 each. I paid 74.85 for 14 fish. How much would they have been at a LFS? Hey, I'm not trying to put down a LFS. I know they have to make money but at the same time I have to save money.

I have bought fish that died a week or so later (or just went missing as I seldom see a dead fish). Same thing when I bought from a LFS. Just sayin'

OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I have 6 fish that I bought from a tank tear down of a very established tank. So not sure about their history. I also bought a pair of damsels from Petco in Madison to cycle the tank. I am afraid my big kole and large clown are going to cause stress for new additions. I am definitely going to QT. Thinking no point in medicating unless I see something.

OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 good size fish that I bought from a tear down of a very established tank. I don't know there history. I also used and still have a pair of damsels from Petco. I guess medicating wouldnt be worth the effort. Thinking current residents; kole, large clown, and damsels will stress new arrivals so I am going to use the QT that I have set up. As for online, I have always had very good luck with Saltwaterfish.com

OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna try a freshwater dip also. Looking on YouTube for exactly how to do this. Is it litteraly just a quick dip?

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been around this small world. Bought from the LFS, the WOLFS (way off LFS), and blue zoo. The advantage is obvious to LFS...you see it before you buy it. Having said that, what I got from blue zoo was very healthy and nice (except one clown which is a research subject for smarter persons than I). I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase from them again. Buying from the LFS has had bad results as well. If I factor my gas and time to the LFS, mail order is by far cheaper. We will still use the LFS for impromptu must haves, food and meds. That’s my .02.

Edit. The WOLFS was prob the source of my ich/fungus that about wiped out my tank. We think It came in with a red hawk. If I had QT’d and ran copper it may have prevented it. It’s a lesson learned and I’m sure there will be more. I just know I love this too much to ever give up. Besides my wife won’t let me buy old cars and park them in the yard.

Last edited:

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna try a freshwater dip also. Looking on YouTube for exactly how to do this. Is it litteraly just a quick dip?

YouTube videos on it. I dipped mine for up to 3 mts. They recover quickly. If you have some stress coat or similar it will help with the after shock.

OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see the kole and clown are the bosses

IMG_20181215_160124299.jpg

IMG_20181215_160120831.jpg

IMG_20181215_160100990.jpg

IMG_20181215_160047103.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YouTube videos on it. I dipped mine for up to 3 mts. They recover quickly. If you have some stress coat or similar it will help with the after shock.
5 minutes is pretty standard and is what I try to do.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back