OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, but I cannot take credit for anything in it other than the base rock. I stumbled into all the livestock and coral. I am seriously considering treating new arrivals with coppersafe or cupramine, but at this point my head hurts and I feel like I would just poison them if I tried. Is either easier to use?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, but I cannot take credit for anything in it other than the base rock. I stumbled into all the livestock and coral. I am seriously considering treating new arrivals with coppersafe or cupramine, but at this point my head hurts and I feel like I would just poison them if I tried. Is either easier to use?
I'm a huge fan of QT, but in your case I don't think it is worth it. Unless you are going to pull any fish out of your system, treat them, and leave the tank free of fish for 42+ days to starve out parasites already in it, there is no value.
Copper is a poison and it will damage the fish. The goal is to kill parasites while doing as little harm to the fish as possible. This is why I am not a fan of what LFS's like Aquatic Cove do when it comes to running low levels of copper. They typically don't run it high enough to eradicate the parasites, only to keep their numbers lower. If they have had a fish for a few months, they will also likely have been significantly damaged by the copper. I realize why the do it and I don't blame them for it.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they can sell you a fish that might have ich and you won't realize it for a couple of weeks?
Yup. That is the case. Any viable parasites attached to the fish will be transferred into your system with the fish. It takes a few generations for the parasites to reach the point of visible symptoms which is the cause of the few week delay. A fish with a healthy immune system may never show symptoms even while carrying parasites.

One good reason for setting up a QT even if you aren't planning on treating is to help slowly adjust the fish to a higher salinity. I've had fish come in with water as low as 1.014 and I run my system close to 1.026. That is a big jump and some fish can't make it very well. While I prophylactically treat everything I also use the QT time to slowly raise salinity levels. I feel this rapid increase in salinity (osmotic shock) it a primary cause for fish deaths in the 2 to 3 day window after receipt.

OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am watching this trigger at Petco in Madison, been there a couple weeks now, looks healthy. If I'm lucky he might eat the damsels in my tank. Haha. Probably just going to buy tangs online. Got my 10 gallon, small powerhead, heater, and HOB aquaclear all setup. Added water from my display and have the filter media soaking in my sump. Still looking for an ammonia badge and I'm all set.

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of damsels?

Got my ammonia badge from marine depot. 7.34 each. Suggestion: couple of pieces of PVC for the fish.

OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you choose not to QT. Which was my choice.
I recommend buying from Aquatic Cove. They at least keep most of their fish in Hypo and Copper. I am not saying that is QT but it is probably better than nothing.
Plus you can see the fish. Notice if it is fat or not and possibly even watch it for a week or so, provided nobody buys it.
He also gets tiny Hippos that are captive bred. That is what I got from him and she is a beauty. 2 years old now and a pig. She has really grown.
What do the tiny ones at the cove sell for$$? Roughly. I drive past there every day, will stop in on way home.

OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of damsels?

Got my ammonia badge from marine depot. 7.34 each. Suggestion: couple of pieces of PVC for the fish.
Got a weird whitish blue thing Petco called a damsel, a blue devil and a yellow tail. The first 2 may need to go. Unfortunately I've got plenty of spare PVC from my old tanks etc.

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a weird whitish blue thing Petco called a damsel, a blue devil and a yellow tail. The first 2 may need to go. Unfortunately I've got plenty of spare PVC from my old tanks etc.
Damsels are a general classification at petco. I have four yellow tails. I like them for the color and they tend to school a lot.

OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pulled the trigger, got a convict, sailfin and hippo scheduled to arrive on Friday. Also got a free naso with the order. They will all be about 1", except for the sailfin should be 2"-2.5". Hope my QT is big enough.

OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater fish.com looks like they are delayed and stuck in Memphis....got notification from swf.com that there was a hang up, they say there packaging methods are good for three days. Hope do.

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My shipment was here the day before thanksgiving. The dispatch sent a notice that the driver “ran out of hours and would have to take the package back to Gadsden”. I had to drive to cullman and pick them up from CVS pharmacy where he would leave them. After giving Fedex an ear full and getting them home, I contacted blue zoo to file a claim for the overnight shipping charges. As far as I know, I have a credit with them for the shipping.

OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great advice and good information that I wish I had before making my order.....haha. Fedex says the truck won't get unloaded until tomorrow morning. I am really worried about the fish being stressed, but if they have ich this should cause a flair up, right? Trying to be optimistic....

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great advice and good information that I wish I had before making my order.....haha. Fedex says the truck won't get unloaded until tomorrow morning. I am really worried about the fish being stressed, but if they have ich this should cause a flair up, right? Trying to be optimistic....
As long as temps stayed ok, the fish should make it. Just remember there will be a lot of ammonia and CO2 buildup in the bag. If you let it mix with fresh air it will quickly become toxic. If you have a QT set up cut a tiny slit in one bag while acclimating and get a salinity sample. You can tape over the slit to minimize air exchange. Make sure your QT is within 0.002 of the shipping water. When they are temp acclimated, open the bag and get the fish out while discarding all of the shipping water. I use a colander to dump the water through while catching the fish. Then put the fish in the QT.
In my opinion this gives you the best chance of success.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back