Quarantine (or not) methods and outcomes - too much for a poll

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purpose of this thread is to try to gather information about the outcomes of methods R2R members use when adding new fish to the display tank, including those who do no quarantine at all. There are frequent discussions asking who, and how, and which is best, but not many that discuss the final results.

In that spirit I will ask that all who participate in this thread refrain from judgement. If you’d like to debate why “xyz” way is best, please do so in another discussion.
For purposes of this conversation, we’ll define a “mortality” in quarantine as ANY death, regardless of reason (including reefer error and simply unknown). We will leave long term survival rates for another discussion.

Also, a big “thank you” to @MnFish1 for contributing to the thread idea and questions!

The questions of interest are:

1. Do you use any quarantine/isolation method?
2. If you use any method other than just adding the fish to the display tank, please describe it. Include medications, sterile tank vs. cycled with rocks and sand (or anything else), TTM, etc.
3. Approximately how long have you been following your current method?
4. If you use any type of quarantine, what percentage (roughly) of quarantined fish live through the entire quarantine process? If you add fish directly to the display, approximately how many live to become part of your fish community?
5. Do you quarantine inverts and coral? If so, how?
6. Have you experienced disease outbreaks in your display tank while using your method?

Thanks in advance to all who participate :)

I’ll start….

1. Yes
2. About 2 1/2 years, give or take.
3. I use a 55 gal tank cycled with rocks and sand for approximately 30 days of observation – more as needed but rarely less. I make a point of watching my fish for a minimum 15 minutes/day, often longer. I have treated with antibiotics, praziquintel, and hyposalinity when needed.
4. To my best recollection, 82.1 % have lived through.
5. No
6. No

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No

I drip acclimate all incoming fish after observation at the store and always buy from the same store that I trust.

4. If you use any type of quarantine, what percentage (roughly) of quarantined fish live through the entire quarantine process? If you add fish directly to the display, approximately how many live to become part of your fish community?
Out of the 15 fish I have added, 4 have died the first night in the tank.

No but I drip acclimate the inverts and just float the corals.

6. Have you experienced disease outbreaks in your display tank while using your method?
Not yet. (knocking on wood)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The purpose of this thread is to try to gather information about the outcomes of methods R2R members use when adding new fish to the display tank, including those who do no quarantine at all. There are frequent discussions asking who, and how, and which is best, but not many that discuss the final results.

In that spirit I will ask that all who participate in this thread refrain from judgement. If you’d like to debate why “xyz” way is best, please do so in another discussion.
For purposes of this conversation, we’ll define a “mortality” in quarantine as ANY death, regardless of reason (including reefer error and simply unknown). We will leave long term survival rates for another discussion.

Also, a big “thank you” to @MnFish1 for contributing to the thread idea and questions!

2. If you use any method other than just adding the fish to the display tank, please describe it. Include medications, sterile tank vs. cycled with rocks and sand (or anything else), TTM, etc.

I’ll start….

1. Yes
3. I use a 55 gal tank cycled with rocks and sand for approximately 30 days of observation – more as needed but rarely less. I make a point of watching my fish for a minimum 15 minutes/day, often longer. I have treated with antibiotics, praziquintel, and hyposalinity when needed.
5. No
6. No

I have used 'drop in the tank'. I have never had a QT setup of my own.

The LFS I use currently does a QT method that is somewhat similar but simpler to Hotrocks. I also observe the fish at the store at least a couple times over a week or so. I do not buy fish that are in copper containing water

See above

3 years buying fish only from one source 20 years dropping fish into the tank.

NO QT at all from an LFS locally - and dropped in the tank - I would say 10-15 percent mortality (depending on the source)

From a local source with QT (at the LFS)- 0 percent mortality

From online sellers - 80-90% mortality - with no QT

No - But I tend to only buy inverts in tanks with no fish

6. Have you experienced disease outbreaks in your display tank while using your method
Yes after purchasing fish online. Resulting in a total wipeout (so I no longer buy from online sources). My GUESS is that the stress of transport, etc is a problem

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of the 15 fish I have added, 4 have died the first night in the tank
I was wrong about this. Two of those died several weeks later. I started with 3 glass cardinals and I have one left. I think they killed eachother off but I'm not sure

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you use any quarantine/isolation method? YES

2. If you use any method other than just adding the fish to the display tank, please describe it. Include medications, sterile tank vs. cycled with rocks and sand (or anything else), TTM, etc. Observational QT, 4-12 weeks; medicate as necessary

3. Approximately how long have you been following your current method? Since 2002

4. What percentage (roughly) of quarantined fish live through the entire quarantine process? About 75%

5. Do you quarantine inverts and coral? If so, how? I dip, but do not do a proper QT.

6. Have you experienced disease outbreaks in your display tank while using your method? No

Just as an addendum, QT is not just for disease, it is also very helpful as a way to get new fish eating in an uncompetitive environment. Success with difficult fish like leopard wrasse, for example, can be greatly improved if they can be coaxed onto your feeding schedule and choices without the harassment of tangs, angels, etc.

Last edited:

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you use any quarantine/isolation method
Yes
I use a 13.5g Fluval tank cycled, bare bottom, PVC pieces and an extra bag of ceramic media beads besides the stock beads and foam insert. Tank is left running continuously since I've always had problems with ammonia if I do a new setup when fish is purchased even if seeded media comes out of the DT sump.
I'll adjust the QT salinity to match whatever the fish is coming from and transfer without acclimation. I'll observe for 2~3 days and get them to eat and then I'll dose the tank with Chloroquine Phosphate. If by day 14 they are still doing well, I'll then dose API General Cure. On day 21, I'll do a 35% water change and start to bring the salinity up a little and do a second dose of General Cure and also replace 35% worth of Chloroquine Phosphate. On day 28 I'll do another 35% water change but from the DT and observe for 1~2 days for scratching and look for any abnormalities.
12 months
My success rate for fish to make it entirely through the quarantine process is roughly 80%.
No
Yes but not wipeouts like in the past. Reasons could be invert additions without QT, initial Fallow period did not do as intended.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ll start….

1. Yes
5. No
6. No

This is awesome. Thanks for setting up! I will definitely contribute once I get tank up and running. :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you use any quarantine/isolation method? Yes, full fish quarantine and inverts only from a fishless reliable source.
Fish go into a quarantine tank with 2.0ppm copper power. They remain in that for 30 days. The first two weeks the fish are fed food soaked in General Cure and Seachem focus. After 30 days the fish are taken out of copper and given two rounds of Prazipro for a total of two weeks. Then after that they may enter the display.
3. Approximately how long have you been following your current method? Little over a year
4. If you use any type of quarantine, what percentage (roughly) of quarantined fish live through the entire quarantine process? If you add fish directly to the display, approximately how many live to become part of your fish community? I have only lost a single fish in quarantine.

5. Do you quarantine inverts and coral? If so, how? No qt for coral, just dip before entering the tank. Inverts come from a reliable source that houses no fish in their facility.
6. Have you experienced disease outbreaks in your display tank while using your method? I have not.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you use any quarantine/isolation method? No

3. Approximately how long have you been following your current method? Since 2007. As far as fish I am doing exactly what I did with freshwaterfish since 1985

4. What percentage (roughly) of quarantined fish live through the entire quarantine process? 95% of my fish used to live 2 years or more. Since I have started buying them online it has dropped to about 80%.

5. Do you quarantine inverts and coral? If so, how? No

6. Have you experienced disease outbreaks in your display tank while using your method? No

I used to float and release but most fish are coming in hypo salinity water and must be acclimated now. I use the add water to the bag method for 40-60 minutes after floating the bag and then clipping the bag to the top of the tank with a wooden clothespin. Some of the water the fish comes in always goes in my tank.

All the fish I have lost recently can be catagorized into 3 groups. Jumpers that make it through my grids (bluestreak wrasse and 2 jawfish), ones that simply disappear some after months in the tank (blue tang, red mandarin) and ones that die after 5-7 days with strange neurological symptoms that acclimate well eat and are fine for 2-3 days then hide and then swim into a corner first thing in the morning seem to lose orientation and pass 20 minutes later with no spots, marks or lesions on them.
(Kole tang, fu manchu lion, emperor angel)
I have ~ 30 fish now. 6 tangs, 3 angels, 4 anthias, 9 chromis, 2 clowns, 2 mandarins, foxface, filefish, starry blenny, trigger, lion, eel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4. If you use any type of quarantine, what percentage (roughly) of quarantined fish live through the entire quarantine process? If you add fish directly to the display, approximately how many live to become part of your fish community? I have only lost a single fish in quarantine.

Thanks for playing Crabs! If I may ask, one fish of how many?

OP
OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you use any quarantine/isolation method? YES

2. If you use any method other than just adding the fish to the display tank, please describe it. Include medications, sterile tank vs. cycled with rocks and sand (or anything else), TTM, etc. Observational QT, 4-12 weeks; medicate as necessary

3. Approximately how long have you been following your current method? Since 2002

4. What percentage (roughly) of quarantined fish live through the entire quarantine process? About 75%

5. Do you quarantine inverts and coral? If so, how? I dip, but do not do a proper QT.

Just as an addendum, QT is not just for disease, it is also very helpful as a way to get new fish eating in an uncompetitive environment. Success with difficult fish like leopard wrasse, for example, can be greatly improved if they can be coaxed onto your feeding schedule and choices without the harassment of tangs, angels, etc.

Thank you also for responding! I 100% agree with your addendum. I focused on disease for the sake of the questionnaire.

Is your observational tank cycled with anything? I would assume so, but this thread is all about not assuming :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. Do you use any quarantine/isolation method? No

3. Approximately how long have you been following your current method? Since 2007. As far as fish I am doing exactly what I did with freshwaterfish since 1985

4. What percentage (roughly) of quarantined fish live through the entire quarantine process? 95% of my fish used to live 2 years or more. Since I have started buying them online it has dropped to about 80%.

5. Do you quarantine inverts and coral? If so, how? No

I used to float and release but most fish are coming in hypo salinity water and must be acclimated now. I use the add water to the bag method for 40-60 minutes after floating the bag and then clipping the bag to the top of the tank with a wooden clothespin. Some of the water the fish comes in always goes in my tank.
Curious - are you worried that you might be adding copper - even a little. or is your tank fish only?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you use any quarantine/isolation method? Yes
2. If you use any method other than just adding the fish to the display tank, please describe it. Include medications, sterile tank vs. cycled with rocks and sand (or anything else), TTM, etc. QT for observation only, treatment only if needed. 2-3 days.
3. Approximately how long have you been following your current method? Started tank 7 months ago
4. If you use any type of quarantine, what percentage (roughly) of quarantined fish live through the entire quarantine process? If you add fish directly to the display, approximately how many live to become part of your fish community? So far, all of them (7 fish).
5. Do you quarantine inverts and coral? If so, how? Same except kept for weeks (4-5). Have since stopped this as health of corals wasn't good in display. Double dipped and directly added last group of corals to display...no organism or tissue loss.
6. Have you experienced disease outbreaks in your display tank while using your method? No...knock wood.

I always have the suspicion that just being lucky is probably just as reliable as what I'm doing. But I do try and use a good, reputable source for all livestock.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No

No, just add them

About 45 years

N/A

No

[/QUOTE]

No.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No

No, just add them

About 40 years

N/A

No

Mike drop...Paul B out

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. Do you use any quarantine/isolation method?Yes

2. If you use any method other than just adding the fish to the display tank, please describe it. Include medications, sterile tank vs. cycled with rocks and sand (or anything else), TTM, etc.Fish from LFS are SG matched so its a float and release in QT with Copper Power dosed at 2.0. QT is cycled with sand and PVC elbows.

3. Approximately how long have you been following your current method?Have been doing this for almost a year

4. If you use any type of quarantine, what percentage (roughly) of quarantined fish live through the entire quarantine process? If you add fish directly to the display, approximately how many live to become part of your fish community? I would say im at the 70-75% mark. I always and i still havent figured out why but only lose anthias.

5. Do you quarantine inverts and coral? If so, how?Inverts come from a no fish environment so just a float and release method here. As for coral they are dipped and then placed in DT.

6. Have you experienced disease outbreaks in your display tank while using your method?No

EDIT: @Paul B is my hero!!!

OP
OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2. If you use any method other than just adding the fish to the display tank, please describe it. Include medications, sterile tank vs. cycled with rocks and sand (or anything else), TTM, etc.Fish from LFS are SG matched so its a float and release in QT with Copper Power dosed at 2.0. QT is cycled with sand and PVC elbows.

EDIT: @Paul B is my hero!!!

Do you use any media for the biofilter other than the sand? Just curious.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you use any media for the biofilter other than the sand? Just curious.
I have 2 HOB filters and have some bioballs in them another than that, just sand!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back